M2 frame counter spinning freely

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

My M2's frame counter works well enough, except that any small nudge of it will cause the wheel to spin around to a random place. I'm not talking about doing it deliberately, but it seems to happen sometimes when I put the camera into, or take it out of a bag, or perhaps it's just when I inadvertently brush against it. Of course the result is then that I have no idea how many frames I'm actually up to.

Should it spin so freely and, if not, is there any simple way to remedy this?

No it should not spin freely at all. In fact it is commonly quite difficult to turn, requiring strong finger nails. 
There should be a felt ring between the wheel and top plate, and a spacer above the wheel. If either is missing it will probably not operate properly. 
There is also a saddle spring above the wind lever, and another under the top plate. These also act to maintain compression tension of the wheel. Again, if missing or worn, the wheel tension will not be as intended. 
If you can’t disassemble yourself, you will need an expert, as usual. Should be a simple fix. 
Good luck!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mute-on said:

No it should not spin freely at all. In fact it is commonly quite difficult to turn, requiring strong finger nails. 
There should be a felt ring between the wheel and top plate, and a spacer above the wheel. If either is missing it will probably not operate properly. 
There is also a saddle spring above the wind lever, and another under the top plate. These also act to maintain compression tension of the wheel. Again, if missing or worn, the wheel tension will not be as intended. 
If you can’t disassemble yourself, you will need an expert, as usual. Should be a simple fix. 
Good luck!

Thanks a lot mute-on. It sounds very much like you are right-on.

I can't see any felt discs at all, and it doesn't look like there's a spacer at all. The wheel actually wobbles up and down a bit.

Sounds like a job for the Camera Clinic. Is that where you go for repairs in Melbourne? I have some reservations about them since Laurie retired.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, stray cat said:

Thanks a lot mute-on. It sounds very much like you are right-on.

I can't see any felt discs at all, and it doesn't look like there's a spacer at all. The wheel actually wobbles up and down a bit.

Sounds like a job for the Camera Clinic. Is that where you go for repairs in Melbourne? I have some reservations about them since Laurie retired.

Never used Camera Clinic, unfortunately. Mostly Kanto Camera in Japan.

I would try Jorg Heumuller at http://europeancameraservice.com

I’ve met him before (over 10 years ago), and exchanged emails a couple of years ago.  Can’t hurt to reach out to him and ask. 

Good luck!

• Like 1