Q2 for video - newbie

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello

So I know that the q2 isn't really a great video camera. However I would like to do some short recordings when Im on vacation with the wife and children. The thing is Im quite new to video. Is there a guide somewhere how to set the q2 up for video, some tips and tricks maybe on how to record? (Or should I just stick with my Iphone) :)

Thanks in advance

I've seen some amazing video produced by the Q2 and Q2M.   Like everything else photographic, it all falls on the person behind the camera.   The camera can do well on automatic.  You can peruse thru the menu settings under video and select the resolution you want.  You can also achieve pretty cool 120FPS slo-mo.  For the highest caliber resolution, set it to Cine 24 or 30 FPS 4K.   The beauty of this camera lies in the simplicity of its menu system.   Very easy to set up and control.  You really don't need a book or manual.   As far as tips and tricks -  I would setup the camera on a small tripod or bean bag for optimal results.   No one appreciates shaky images that drive you crazy.   If you really want to shine, buy a slider and you can get some really cool dolly moves - which will magnify your video by a hundred fold.   Make sure your lighting is right.  You can always use a polarizing filter for color saturation and reflectance reduction.   You can learn a lot by simply watching classic movies where static camera setups were the norm.  For shots like this, the Q2 excels.   For a roving camera you will need some kind of stabilizer system (like a Steadicam unit).   That will enable you to walk or run and still keep the image still.   My best tip to you is move the camera very slowly.   Especially on pans.  No one enjoys watching an image spinning around making you dizzy.   You don't have to point the camera at everything that moves - let your subjects come to you.   

• Thanks 1