Frame line mask question

grahamc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey everyone 

When my 35mm is mounted , I also have a very thin 50mm frame line (only the bottom horizontal one) peeping through aswell.  

This is M6J so I presume M6 innards 

It’s quite thin so unsure if it’s been there since I got the camera a few weeks ago and I didn’t notice... I’ve been using 50mm a lot and just mounted a 35 which is when I noticed this.  

I tried moving the manual frame line selector and also removing / re-clicking the lens mount in, with no luck. 

any ideas pls and is this common ? I’m not sure I’d want to be without the camera for a few weeks over something pretty minor - it’s really a hairline compared to Normal frame line , but is visible. 

Thanks!

Edited by grahamc

46 minutes ago, JMF said:

Hello,

try remove the lens and mount it again . And/Or move the  frame lever about .

Is your 35mm lens a third party lens? The lens mount could be the problem.

Thanks. I’ll try that. I did do that but will try some more. No, not a third-party... this is a 35:1.4 v2. 

If that doesn’t work I presume I should get it looked at ?  I should probably try another 35mm lens first I guess 

Thanks 

Edited by grahamc

This is not uncommon. Exercising the frame selector a bit, as others have suggested, should loosen it up. Even if the problem persists I wouldn’t send it in for repairs just for that as it has no effect on the functionality of the camera. 

Just curious, when no lens is mounted, do you still see the 50mm lines?

16 hours ago, plaidshirts said:

This is not uncommon. Exercising the frame selector a bit, as others have suggested, should loosen it up. Even if the problem persists I wouldn’t send it in for repairs just for that as it has no effect on the functionality of the camera. 

Just curious, when no lens is mounted, do you still see the 50mm lines?

Thanks.  I've tried the cycles but no luck yet.  The line is extremely thin and I think it was probably like that when I got it and I didn't notice since I was so happy overall and also shooting 50mm mostly with this 0.85.   I'll keep trying the cycles when I'm using the camera and see if it helps over time. 

When nothing is mounted I am seeing 35 with the smallest ones (I presume 135) .    I think the combinations are :

35/135

Edited by grahamc

9 minutes ago, M9reno said:

The problem will hopefully clear up with use in time, as others have said. I imagine your camera has sat unused for too long.

What happens when you put on a 50? Do you see a similarly thin sliver of the 35mm lines anywhere?

Thanks , I hope so - either way not a huge deal I guess and it can be looked at if the camera ever needs to go to service for something else . but no, with 50mm framelines I don't see any others at all 

On 9/27/2021 at 4:18 PM, M9reno said:

The problem will hopefully clear up with use in time, as others have said. I imagine your camera has sat unused for too long.

What happens when you put on a 50? Do you see a similarly thin sliver of the 35mm lines anywhere?

Hi @M9reno.  Today I mounted a different lens and could see slithers of 35mm (top and bottom), aswell as 135 (just one corner....slithers). I moved the frame line selector and they dissapeared.       I thought I'd mention it in case you know what it could be - since you asked last time what I could see with a 50 mounted. 

But I'm still seeing 50mm (bottom horizontal) hairline when 35mm is mounted and moving tramline through some cycles doesn't get rid of it .  I'll keep exercising it 

Edited by grahamc

It’s such a simple, beautiful mechanism. Graham, at least you can rest assured that, though annoying, there is nothing here that is electronic, complex or difficult to fix.

Edited by M9reno
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, M9reno said:

It’s such a simple, beautiful mechanism. Graham, at least you can rest assured that, though annoying, there is nothing here that is electronic, complex or difficult to fix.

Agree. Thanks for that. The camera is so nice I’ll just be patient :) 

• 1 year later...
On 10/1/2021 at 9:21 AM, grahamc said:

Agree. Thanks for that. The camera is so nice I’ll just be patient :)

Hello Graham,

I have exactly the same problem with my M6 TTL.

Did the problem disappear just using the camera or did you send it to the technical service?

Thanks a lot.

14 minutes ago, Telemetric said:

Hello Graham,

I have exactly the same problem with my M6 TTL.

Did the problem disappear just using the camera or did you send it to the technical service?

Thanks a lot.

Hello.  I had to send for service. It was quite difficult for them to adjust it, (they said).  but they succeeded and all is now fine 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Telemetric said:

Did you send it to Leica or to another technician?

May I know the cost?

Thanks a lot!

Hi .  This was not through Leica is was an independent repair guy who likes working on Leica / can repair Leica.  I'm sorry I don't remember the price for that particular part of the job as I might have had something else done the same time (CLA if I remember correctly) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grahamc said:

Hi .  This was not through Leica is was an independent repair guy who likes working on Leica / can repair Leica.  I'm sorry I don't remember the price for that particular part of the job as I might have had something else done the same time (CLA if I remember correctly) 

Thanks a lot :)