Q2- Video?

prio

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Guys,

I know most of you are photogs and for the most part have little interest in the video capabilities of the Q2 but I am primarily a cinematographer. I, who has shot professionally for most of my life seldom pick up a camera unless it is for a paying job. Cut to- I just picked up a Q2 in the search of re-igniting my passion for images and in particular moving images. I use to (pre-pandemic) travel avidly and like most of us relied on using the synthetic and utilitarian medium of iPhone photos and video to document my travels. I have started to travel again and have justified the acquisition of the Q2 by committing to carrying it all over the world and coming back with real images that can be used in my personal archives of stock images and video clips. The camera is amazing and as far as I can tell only 2 days in is that the video could very well be amazing too.

So first- what are the published specifications for the video and associated files that the Q2 captures and generates. The frame size and frame rates are well documented but I don't see the color space, bit depth, data rates, compression, etc...

2nd- why the F did you not include a port??? not ports... just a port?? While I will not call it easy, you do have the tech and the engineering know how to meet the IP52.

Cheers,

prio

Talking about video… Put this rig together right quick for travel. Also shot some sample footage.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Prio -

How has it been working out? For my still photography I've been using mostly M9M and M10M, but my recent gallery stuff has been video installation. I'm still capturing with a Sony NEX-7 in HD, with a really good stereo mic. I'm thinking about getting a Q2M just for video; I want to capture natively in B&W, I want to move to 4K, and mostly I love the look that comes out of this camera.

I have the same questions you had, however, and feel that I'd like to know more. Especially, did you ever figure out how to plug in an external microphone? I need really good onboard sound and if this can't happen it might be the deal-breaker. Thanks in advance for any insight.

- David

Hi Prio, my roots are also cinematography. Like you, I never owned a proper stills camera in the past. This changed this Spring when I got myself an SL2-S because I was looking for the a hybrid camera that delivers video colour not too far from Arri. While the Sl2-S does what it should, and on the colour side completely sold me, I'm still thinking of getting a Q2 for travelling light. At the moment, I'm more thinking of getting lightweight brilliant cinematic glass for the SL2-S, like the 35mm SummicronR, making the SL2-S more travel-friendly.

In video mode, the Q2 is just a regular Rec709 camera that records up to 4k h264 with a disappointing bitrate around 100 m/bits. Designer stubbles and other fine detail wont't resolve in a way that makes a cinematographer happy. Plus, as a Rec709 video camera, the Q2 isn't able to leverage the sensor's wide DR. 

To un-cripple the camera, HLG video in 422 and h265 would all I'd love to see, similar to what we have in SL2-S (I don't need L-Log to be happy). But that quite likely means Q3 because the Q2 utilises an older generation processor. 

For sound recoding, I use Tentaclesync.com. As the Leica, they use your phone's time which makes syncing not frame-accurate but close. They sell a full TC-sync system, but that requires on the DSLR side a sound port. 

All in all, I'd say that the Q2 is an extraordinary appearance in stills photography, but not so much in video.

I guess it makes sense that the Q2 has lower quality video than the SL2-S, making the SL2 -S a clear upgrade for someone wanting to shoot primarily video. It's still a drag for someone (like myself) who wants do initial capture in B&W (unless there is a SL-2 Monochrom in the works). Oh well. They could have at least provided a port for those wanting to plug in an external mic. Even if they want to keep the body clean, they could have provided connection through the hot-shoe. That would have been easy, wouldn't it?

Edited by davidbaddley
Typo