Leica SL Manual lens coding not registering

goorackerelite

Advertisement (gone after registration)

there's a frustrating issue in Leica sl where when I code the lens manually in camera, it does not save the Focal Length in the EXIF and therefor does not show up in lightroom either. 

Does anyone else have this problem? and if so how do you solve it? 

I'm running Firmware 3.0 

Thanks

5 hours ago, Photoworks said:

that is the normal behavior 

EXIF data is only saved when using the Leica M adapter with a 6bit coded lens.

In the other lens selection menu you can only inform the camera what lens you have on in order to use sensor stabilization

thank you, There's definitely no sensor stabilization in the Original Leica SL. Any other thoughts? 

8 hours ago, Photoworks said:

that is the normal behavior 

EXIF data is only saved when using the Leica M adapter with a 6bit coded lens.

In the other lens selection menu you can only inform the camera what lens you have on in order to use sensor stabilization

It's not normal behavior. All but one of my M lenses do not have 6-bit coding. When I select the proper lens profile for one of them from the drop-down menu, that profile carries over into the EXIF and into Lightroom. The lens profile tells the camera (and Lightroom) what lens has been attached so that it can adjust for distortion and the like. It doesn't do anything for image stabilization, as the SL doesn't have image stabilization.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I use thirds party non-Leica adaptors with NO electronic contacts . When I select the proper lens profile for one of them from the drop-down menu, question 1 , does the lens profile tells the camera (and Lightroom) what lens has been attached so that it can adjust for distortion? I

BUT with NO EXIF captured from lens to the SL (no electronic contact), Question 2: as no EXIF info is transferred, the image is corrected (lens profile applied) but no lens information is stamped and LR shows “no lens info” and f-/-. 

The point I am asking is if I want take advantage of the lens correction in-camera software, but can sacrifice not having  EXIF files captured, I can still get the corrected final image and yet save a couple of hundreds getting a third party adaptor and plough that money into another lens instead OR I can get one of those helicoid adaptors and get closer focusing onto my M lenses. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, northernlights said:

The point I am asking is if I want take advantage of the lens correction in-camera software, but can sacrifice not having  EXIF files captured, I can still get the corrected final image and yet save a couple of hundreds getting a third party adaptor and plough that money into another lens instead OR I can get one of those helicoid adaptors and get closer focusing onto my M lenses. 

simply no, EXIF may say 50mm but that is it.

until recently you had to choose a similar focal 50mm lens from Leica even when mounting Zeiss or any other 50mm lens, but Leica does not know the lens profile from Zeiss. If you are using Lightroom you can apply your setting in software.

6bit  Leica offers more than just vignetting correction and it is good to have it.