D-Lux 109 vs D-Lux 7

Welcome.

Do you need the longer zoom range? Are you happy to have increased bulk? The small advantage to me did not merit the cost of upgrading from my De Lux 109 which suits me very well when not on specific photo work.

I think you may be comparing the wrong cameras here. The D-Lux 7 is actually a fraction smaller and is 13 grms lighter than the 109. The zoom range is exactly the same. And the glass.

Though the sensors are the same physical size the 7 has 16.8MP compared to 12.7MP. And as I like to print, this means I should be able to get slightly larger prints.

OK, I've convinced myself already. I'm going to buy the 7. After all they're both as cheap as chips and utterly fantastic value as everyday cameras.

Thanks.

Well now you have both it will be interesting to read your conclusions. My guess is that smaller pixels on the 7 will give rise to more noise in low light situations. In practice it probably doesn't matter.