SOCONY Mobil Building NYC

sblitz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This was there HQ before moving to Virginia, wonderful example of 1960s office buildings. On 42nd St, south side, between Lexington and 3rd Avenues for those coming to NYC. Taken with the new Ektachrome....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Used to love this building and those deep blue NYC skies when I lived in Manhattan. It’s an interesting facade system - very thin (so more space inside) and embossed for rigidity....but it’s actually a 50s building (pedant Architect alert!). I was recently visiting the Inland Steel building in Chicago by SOM which is a s/steel contemporary.

From memory there’s a streetcorner spot where you can set this facade against the Chrysler building but I can’t remember which.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NigelG said:

Used to love this building and those deep blue NYC skies when I lived in Manhattan. It’s an interesting facade system - very thin (so more space inside) and embossed for rigidity....but it’s actually a 50s building (pedant Architect alert!). I was recently visiting the Inland Steel building in Chicago by SOM which is a s/steel contemporary.

From memory there’s a streetcorner spot where you can set this facade against the Chrysler building but I can’t remember which.....

Thanks. I will take a look. Stu goes by there, I am sure he will know 

If you head up Lexington a bit past 42nd st you can get a view back towards the Chrysler building with the Mobil in the foreground....sorry my shots are pre Leica (and pre digital). I used to live 2 blocks away and passed by on my way to Grand Central subway every day.

• Thanks 1