M-D

mmx_2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi!

Wouldn't it be cool if the next generation M-D would be a "true" M-D, Mechanical-Digital (or Mechanisch-Digital for those Germans :)). So, what I'm proposing is a camera more based on the current film MP with a pure mechanical shutter and only a simple built in light meter with the little LEDs in the rangefinder and of course no display but instead the big ISO-wheel on rear. Size wise of course same as current M10/MP. Speclist:

*Mechanical shutter based on MP

*No display

*Same sensor as M10

*Pure RAW

*Traditional rangefinder frames and three little leds in the rangefinder indication correct exposure (just like M6)

*ISO wheel on the rear like current M-D

*On/off like current M10 but only powering up/down the sensor

*For practical reasons same battery as M10 would be the best but coolest would be a battery the size and shape of a film roll, so you "load the film" to start your picture taking :).

Space wise inside the camera I cannot say if this is 100% possible or not (since I haven't disassembled either an M10 or an MP :)), but since we're removing the pressure plate, film roll and take up spool that would leave quite a lot of space.

This would be the "purest M" or at least as close to an old M with still being digital :). Am I absolutely crazy or does this sound even remotely feasible :).

Joakim

• Like 1

Hi!

Wouldn't it be cool if the next generation M-D would be a "true" M-D, Mechanical-Digital (or Mechanisch-Digital for those Germans :)). So, what I'm proposing is a camera more based on the current film MP with a pure mechanical shutter and only a simple built in light meter with the little LEDs in the rangefinder and of course no display but instead the big ISO-wheel on rear. Size wise of course same as current M10/MP. Speclist:

*Mechanical shutter based on MP

*No display

*Same sensor as M10

*Pure RAW

*Traditional rangefinder frames and three little leds in the rangefinder indication correct exposure (just like M6)

*ISO wheel on the rear like current M-D

*On/off like current M10 but only powering up/down the sensor

*For practical reasons same battery as M10 would be the best but coolest would be a battery the size and shape of a film roll, so you "load the film" to start your picture taking :).

Space wise inside the camera I cannot say if this is 100% possible or not (since I haven't disassembled either an M10 or an MP :)), but since we're removing the pressure plate, film roll and take up spool that would leave quite a lot of space.

This would be the "purest M" or at least as close to an old M with still being digital :). Am I absolutely crazy or does this sound even remotely feasible :).

Joakim

It would surely be the least "pure M".

It would be the M that is least true to its function, and the most concerned with trying to be like something it isn't.

It would surely be the least "pure M".

It would be the M that is least true to its function, and the most concerned with trying to be like something it isn't.

You worry about issues with the mechanics I guess?

Today no, I'm using M240 and M10

Along with my favorite M-D, I use also M (typ 240) and M10.

M10 short battery life can be ennoying sometime, but we know that.

Future M-D 10 could use same small battery but as is this may lead to about 500 photos, that's not bad.

I don't think that mechanical shutter is better than M10 actual electronic one, if only for sake of more battery life.

This electronic shutter is very quiet and vibration free for low speeds use if need be.

M-D (type 262) is thicker than MP or M10 but my hand appreciates that there is no LCD screen as M10, and feeling of "good grip" is far better than M10, despite the thickness.

If you can Joakim, just try (for a while) the present day M-D to make your opinion yourself on things to be changed for better M-D 10.

Present M-D takes only DNG and when in Manual mode acts like MP in viewfinder with 3 LED.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another happy M-D user here. I would not want to see the option for aperture priority removed--that sounds more like a punishment than a benefit. The existing M-D already provides the option for the traditional triangle and circle LED exposure indicators.

I am not sure I understand the thinking behind the manual shutter. Even if that was possible, the rest of the camera would still rely on electronics and a battery. Hence you don't have the same distinction as between the M7 and film MP, in which one can argue that the MP is "better" or "more pure" because only the meter relies on a battery and electronics.

I think the M-D is best understood as a digital M7. It is not a digital MP. It is about as "pure" as a digital M is going to get. Sure, Leica could release a new M-D with the M10 sensor, viewfinder, and body thickness, but those would be incremental improvements, not fundamental changes.

Another happy M-D user here. I would not want to see the option for aperture priority removed--that sounds more like a punishment than a benefit. The existing M-D already provides the option for the traditional triangle and circle LED exposure indicators.

I am not sure I understand the thinking behind the manual shutter. Even if that was possible, the rest of the camera would still rely on electronics and a battery. Hence you don't have the same distinction as between the M7 and film MP, in which one can argue that the MP is "better" or "more pure" because only the meter relies on a battery and electronics.

I think the M-D is best understood as a digital M7. It is not a digital MP. It is about as "pure" as a digital M is going to get. Sure, Leica could release a new M-D with the M10 sensor, viewfinder, and body thickness, but those would be incremental improvements, not fundamental changes.

My idea was just to make it even more "manual", of course the aperture priority along with auto ISO are really nice and convinient "features" to have and like you said it would still rely on a sensor and some electronics. The benefits would be longer battery time and even more silent shutter (especially combined with a manual advance lever to rearm the shutter). In the end it would be a niche within a niche and if Leica decided to actually produce a camera like this it would be a very limited number with most sold to collectors and never actually used.

From a pratical point of view it would make less sense, and the current M-D has all you can ask for (except maybe better high ISO-performance and thinner body, but like a.noctilux said those "upgrades" are more incremental than revolutionary), but still I think the idea is somewhat cool :) :)

My idea was just to make it even more "manual", of course the aperture priority along with auto ISO are really nice and convinient "features" to have and like you said it would still rely on a sensor and some electronics. The benefits would be longer battery time and even more silent shutter (especially combined with a manual advance lever to rearm the shutter). In the end it would be a niche within a niche and if Leica decided to actually produce a camera like this it would be a very limited number with most sold to collectors and never actually used.

From a pratical point of view it would make less sense, and the current M-D has all you can ask for (except maybe better high ISO-performance and thinner body, but like a.noctilux said those "upgrades" are more incremental than revolutionary), but still I think the idea is somewhat cool :) :)

Aperture priority YES but NO auto ISO on present M-D, nice thing for me : sorry to say that on the other M, I never support Auto ISO ...

Logical choice from Leica, because ISO value IS (for me) premium parameter as are f stop and shutter speed.

When I want to use 6400 ISO, I prefer that the camera keeps that 6400 ISO and not changing it automatically.

I can say also that the "genius M-D conceptors" have put the "battery level in viewfinder" when turned ON and that for first in M "remained frames after each photo took".

This last feature ennoyed me at first but after using it a while, I do appreciate the little number after each shutter firing, and ignore it on the run.

I do like also those two levels (battery or remained memory) can be reviewed at will by pushing the function button ;).

Edited by a.noctilux

My idea was just to make it even more "manual", of course the aperture priority along with auto ISO are really nice and convinient "features" ...

The M-D does not have an auto ISO feature. I imagine it’s something Leica might consider for a future M-D as it could be added via an “A” option in the existing ISO selector wheel. It would of course require either assumptions about auto ISO settings or a way to change those settings via the viewfinder display.