Manual lens selection

robsonj

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there,

On my 240 I shoot a CV 35 1.7 & 50 1.5. I manually select the closest Leica lenses manually from the in camera menu. On import to Lightroom I select the correct CV lens from the lens correction widget thing.

Given I do this, does the in camera selection then have any effect on a raw file?

It’s still useful to me so I can remember which lens a shot was taken with, but on occasion I have forgotten to change the manual selection, hence my question.

Which leads to my next question of whether people ever code CV lenses so the lens selection can be automatic, and if so, how do they do it?

Cheers

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Welcome to the forum.

Short answer is yes. The lens correction settings do get baked into the raw file. Good news is that corrections, if any, on a 35 and 50 are minimal because most of the corrections deal with lens distortion and corner shading/discoloration in the wides.

Match Technical used to make a lens coder kit but i believe its been discontinued. 

http://www.matchtechnical.com/Pages/coderkit.aspx

unlike the M9, the M240 doesn't do a good job of recognizing home coded lenses so i wouldn't bother tracking down a coder kit.

Hope this info helps.

Kwesi

Thanks Kwesi. By baked in do you mean the raw data actually undergoes some in camera correction based on the lens selection, or just that the lens selection is embedded into the exit data?

Hi Jonathan,

Welcome to the forum.

Short answer is yes. The lens correction settings do get baked into the raw file. Good news is that corrections, if any, on a 35 and 50 are minimal because most of the corrections deal with lens distortion and corner shading/discoloration in the wides.

Match Technical used to make a lens coder kit but i believe its been discontinued. 

unlike the M9, the M240 doesn't do a good job of recognizing home coded lenses so i wouldn't bother tracking down a coder kit.

Hope this info helps.

Kwesi

I came across the coder kit, it looks like it is no longer produced. Maybe for the reasons you mentioned. Instead I have purchased a couple of replacement flanges from eBay for the CV’s which have indentations to paint for coding.

Hi Jonathan,

Welcome to the forum.

Hope this info helps.

Kwesi

Thanks Kwesi. By baked in do you mean the raw data actually undergoes some in camera correction based on the lens selection, or just that the lens selection is embedded into the exit data?

The raw data undergoes in camera correction

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I came across the coder kit, it looks like it is no longer produced. Maybe for the reasons you mentioned. Instead I have purchased a couple of replacement flanges from eBay for the CV’s which have indentations to paint for coding.

I tried coding a zeiss 21/2.8 using my coder kit and included pen and it did not work. The 240 series are more fussy about this than the M9's.

Definitely try the pen first but if it doesn't work the next step would be to use black AND white paints in each of the wells just like new 6bit coding from Leica.

Not sure which paints work best but a search here on the forum should get you the right answers.

The M-coder marks definitely worked better on the M9 than the more recent models. My M262 recognizes none of the coder markings that the M9-P does. Wouldn't surprise me to find out something Leica did in the design of the readers in the newer model body mounts that narrowed what it could read, making lots of manual user marks obsolete.

I wound up giving my M-coder kit to someone else and just leave non 6-bit lenses uncoded. The times I go out with a mixture of 6 bit and non 6 bit coded lenses, at least half the time I would forget to code a manual lens or leave a manual setting coded when I go back to a 6 bit coded lens and a large percentage of my images either wind up with no focal length coded, or the wrong focal length.

I have all my CV lenses coded in two different ways. The oldest is a 28/1.9 that is a screw mount and which arrived to me with an adaptor that have been milled to permit pasting a paper printed code from computer and works ok. The other two lenses, a 21/1.8 and a 75!2.5, have both the trenched flange which Voigtlander provides now his new lenses and adapters. I simply used the Match Technical coder to reference the code and then enameled it in the trench. They also perform correctly.