Leica T Budget Macro

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Last week I bought from Ffordes Photographic Ltd. for the grand sum of £99 a 1965 vintage Leitz 135/2.8 Elmarit R single cam lens with the intention using it with existing Leitz APO 2x extender as budget tele lens on the Leica T;  135 x 1.5 x 2 = 405mm FF equivalent.  

Today decided to try the lens as a budget macro objective by utilising an equally vintage Leitz Elpro VIIa achromatic supplementary close up lens - previously purchased s/h for less than £10. The first photos illustrate the apparatus / methodology using a Gitzo tripod (in semi- ground level mode) , Lihhof ball head, Elicar focus slide, Lastolite reflector, and Leica STA 1 14636 Tripod Collar … latter is designed for the Leica APO Macro Elmarit R 100/2.8 but can be used with other lenses … and in this case is adapted to the Novoflex R to SL adapter (by wrapping a layer of self adhesive Velour around the adapter). 

In the first two photos the lens hood is retracted to illustrate how the Elpro is screwed onto the lens' filter thread. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

… apparatus set up in front of a common lizard habitat i.e. a rotting tree trunk on a local nature reserve 

cont'd … 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

… and here are a few of the resultant photos of the Viviparous Lizards ...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Reasonably pleased with results so far and plan to return the site and try some closer views utilising R extension tubes.

Don't under-estimate ancient R lenses and Elpro lenses … they can offer a good budget means of creating close-up images in the field … but good apparatus support and a focus slide also help .. as does a decent reflector. 

For those interested in finding out more about using Leitz Elpro lenses e.g. magnifications attainable with various R lenses, please consider obtaining Günter Osterloh's book: Excellence in Photography: Applied Leica Technique … which includes matrices detailing all the various Elpro lenses and their capabilities / specifications 

Best wishes

dunk 

• Like 12

For the small amount of close-up shooting I do, the Elpro VIIa more than suffices.  I previously used it on an X-Vario, and more recently managed to pair a couple of stepping rings so I can use it on my 55-135mm.   For budget macro I also have a couple of the old OUFRO 10mm rings (16469, I think) I used in the distant past; but much prefer the Elpro as it seems brighter and is easier to deploy.

• Like 1

There are other Leica T/TL system threads/posts with suggestions for using supplementary achromatic close-up lenses on TL zoom lenses:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/247554-close-up-filters-on-leica-t/?hl=marumi&do=findComment&comment=2851590   includes a Canon achromatic c/u lens and a list of Leitz Elpro c/u lenses 

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/242426-macro-on-the-t/?hl=marumi&do=findComment&comment=2782429 … includes Marumi c/u lenses and using Leica/Leitz ring combinations (extension tubes) 

Camera/lens support(s) are of equal importance especially when working with smaller apertures requiring longer exposures … and a focus slide or focus rack makes focusing so much easier.

And for indoor table top c/u photography some enthusiasts prefer to work using a copy stand.

dunk 
  • Like 1

… and here are a few of the resultant photos of the Viviparous Lizards ...

attachicon.gifLizard-single-248.5K-rslf-.jpg

attachicon.gifLizards-Pair-1-249.8K-rslf.jpg

attachicon.gifLizards-Pair-2-rslf-240.8k.jpg

attachicon.gifSingle-Lizard-256K-rslf.jpg

Reasonably pleased with results so far and plan to return the site and try some closer views utilising R extension tubes.

Don't under-estimate ancient R lenses and Elpro lenses … they can offer a good budget means of creating close-up images in the field … but good apparatus support and a focus slide also help .. as does a decent reflector. 

For those interested in finding out more about using Leitz Elpro lenses e.g. magnifications attainable with various R lenses, please consider obtaining Günter Osterloh's book: Excellence in Photography: Applied Leica Technique … which includes matrices detailing all the various Elpro lenses and their capabilities / specifications 

Best wishes

dunk 

Dunk,

I am just as interested to ask where you found Lizards in the UK, in all my years I have never seen any?

Dunk,

I am just as interested to ask where you found Lizards in the UK, in all my years I have never seen any?

Lizards are common and found throughout the UK. Try contacting your local Staffs Wildlife Trust groups / sites http://www.staffs-wildlife.org.uk/species/common-lizard … lizards should be visible at many conservation sites and nature reserves until late October before they hibernate for the winter.

dunk  

• Like 1