Leica M Wifi App for Android?

cookedart

I am also an Android user waiting ... I see other camera's supported SL, TL and Q ...

Has Leica made any statement of future Android support?

I am iPhone user with installed Leica app. Let me ask you the following question: what for you want to use phone application? To be perfectly honest with you I used the application twice and not because real need but just to try.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

I want to be able to grab and post a shot while in the field

I am also interested in reviewing pictures on my phone since the resolution of a modern phone is so much better + Bigger display + editing SW so I can play with a "look" while in the field

I am computer/technology literate so a smartphone is Always with me

People use technology in expected and unexpected ways. IF Leica were smart they would open up their API so others could create new creative tools faster

Let me share some information about the application as available on iPhone.

Application is able to connect with Leica M10 via existing WiFi or is able to connect with Access Point created by M10 firmware. On WiFi net first it is trying to find M10:

szukanie_sieci.png

When M10 is connected to a net it displays the following:

polacz_sie_z.png

and after "tap" you are done:

po_polaczeniu_menu.png

Until that step usually everything works very well.

"Camera" selection allows you to control M10

picture_control.png

Selection of this item switch M10 to LV mode. There is not possible to change type Manual or Auto. But what is nice - you may select exposition data by moving cross (yellow circle) to different position (see next picture). Other parameters (not greyed) you may change to required value. Use of item in green picture is very strange. Is switch on/off histogram for displayed picture ... but only on camera (not phone) display.

picture_control_2.png

"Play" works like that:

browse.png

it displays SD card contents and allow you to browse images, select them, and see on full screen:

picture_display.jpg

Green (export) selection works well. Allow you to share picture to different applications or virtual disks (e.g. AirDorp on MAC, mail, etc). File size is reduced (approx 1.5MB), file name changed, and picture is converted to .jpeg. 

Download to camera roll (yellow selection)  is real pain. It generates almost each time crashes of the app and usually broke connection between phone and camera. I did not find any other way to work with application beside rebooting camera and app and  establishing connections from the very beginning again (BTW - whet M10 works as Access Point you have to enter password on iPhone  each time). Very often you don't see error message on iPhone and may assume that picture is downloaded as app still displays something. But in fact it just displays frozen screen and red error is displayed on M10 screen (error connecting to app).  Sometime happens that file finally is available in camera roll. It looks quite well. You may enlarge it, see details. But import to LR (mobile or desktop) or transfer to MAC file system shows real surprise:

half_only.jpg

Size of a DNG file seems to be OK but as you see only half of the picture is readable.

Last but not least. You may define few of the app parameters as follows:

parameters.jpg

Summing up: the app still needs improvement and corrections. If you want to use it as "intelligent" remote control (focus you have to set-up manually on the camera lens of course) or use as the way of quick distribution of reduced size JPG picture over net - you may find it useful. 

Hope it helps.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you want wifi merely for transferring images from camera to phone/tablet, I found a simple and great solution: Toshiba FlashAir SD cards. Great app, fast connection, easy transfer. I find it better than Eyefi for the basic reason that the Toshiba app shows the latest photos first and Eyefi shows the earliest shots first (doesn't make sense to me). I got the 32GB card for $40. Done. There's a small catch - it only transfers jpg files so I simply set my camera to shoot both DNG and jpg. Not that big a problem for me.

BTW, I've been using the M10's wifi and I find the connection just a little slow at start-up but after that, transferring files not a problem and quite smooth (it tranfser DNG files of course). I haven't figured out if it can transfer multiple files at once (still new and I don't tend to transfer lots of photos to my phone anyway).