Leica M-D262 durability

neekon

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I dropped my M after owning it for a week. The lens hood was bent and there were scratches on the top plate. Leica repaired lens and camera for 600€, I asked them to keep the scratched top plate to serve as a constant reminder to me. The mount on the camera needed straightening and the lens adjusting. Nothing happened to the rangefinder.

Good to know, the filter on the lens got dented and jammed on, its possible it damaged the mount.  I am sending the lens to Zeiss to be looked at as well.  Good to know a rough repair estimate, I have budgeted about 2000$ for camera and lens, which I think should be enough.  

The camera US Passport warranty that covered accidental damage was discontinued around 2008, replaced by the standard 2 year warranty.  Leica may make exceptions, but I don't believe the standard policy covers accidental damage.

It's exactly for reasons like this that I always advise users to buy personal insurance that covers all circumstances that the warranty does not, including loss or damage, worldwide.  These policies are available by various US carriers as special itemized riders to homeowner policies, for relatively low costs and often no deductible.  Gives me peace of mind.

Jeff

I have insurance for much of my other gears, I just hadnt had a chance to add this yet, Camera purchased on a Friday, dropped the following Monday.  

Best thing to do is to hand it over to Leica for inspection, testing, and repair. It's a new camera, don't let a little mishap ruin your enjoyment of it. Whether the warranty covers it is questionable, but Leica USA has always been very accommodating with their service in my experience. 

It will be on its way to Leica in NJ tomorrow, just waiting on the shipping label.  

I dropped my M after owning it for a week. The lens hood was bent and there were scratches on the top plate. Leica repaired lens and camera for 600€, I asked them to keep the scratched top plate to serve as a constant reminder to me. The mount on the camera needed straightening and the lens adjusting. Nothing happened to the rangefinder.

It's quite remarkable that the bayonet mount would bend but nothing happens to the RF. That's a testimony to the big improvement in RF solidity in the M240 onwards.

I have insurance for much of my other gears, I just hadnt had a chance to add this yet, Camera purchased on a Friday, dropped the following Monday.  

If you use the same carrier (with 'premier' coverage) for all other gear, they may still cover you if you immediately add items purchased over a weekend.  Mine likely would....they even cover loss of accessory gear not itemized, e.g., bag, tripod, etc).  Depends on your specific carrier and policy provisions.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S