How to prevent importing jpeg's in Lightroom 6.0?

Guest Alxndr

Guest Alxndr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm in the proces of switching from Aperture to Lightroom. We all know, of course, that a digital Leica makes jpeg's next to dng's. But I'm not using the jpeg's, just the dng's. In Lightroom 6.0's import screen you don't get to see the jpeg's. But nevertheless I noticed that importing the dng's results in importing the jpeg's as well! Does anybody know how to prevent this? The 'best' answer to this question I found on the web was deleting the jpeg's manually after importing...

Regards,

Alexander

Well, you could delete the jpegs BEFORE importing in LR... ;)

I'll often allow the camera to create jpegs as well as DNGs when I'm traveling, as that makes it easier to check the "take" on my laptop in the evenings. I copy the 100LEICA folder to the desktop, and within that create a new folder for the jpegs and move them there separate from the DNGs. I then look over the jpegs in Preview to see what I had. When I later "imported" the DNGs in Lightroom at home, I had the program set not to look in lower level folders, so it never imported the jpeg files. I use the Mac Finder for file management, not LR... :)

Edited by Dougg

Guest Alxndr

Uh, no, just shoot DNG.

Jef

As far as I know digital Leica's don't allow for that, Jeff. At least my Leica T doesn't. Leica has been criticized for this quite often.

Guest Alxndr

Well, you could delete the jpegs BEFORE importing in LR... ;)

I'll often allow the camera to create jpegs as well as DNGs when I'm traveling, as that makes it easier to check the "take" on my laptop in the evenings. I copy the 100LEICA folder to the desktop, and within that create a new folder for the jpegs and move them there separate from the DNGs. I then look over the jpegs in Preview to see what I had. When I later "imported" the DNGs in Lightroom at home, I had the program set not to look in lower level folders, so it never imported the jpeg files. I use the Mac Finder for file management, not LR... :)

Well thanks Dougg, but deleting before or after importing - it's a hassle anyway. Aperture let's you choose which formats to import. But I guess that's not possible in Lightroom?

Guest Alxndr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No answer to your question, but the M allows you to shoot DNG only. The T and Q do not. I don't know about others.

The X's do not either. Anyway, it seems like I'll be stuck with the JPEG's in Lightroom...  :(

Again, not the answer you wanted to your question, but, once imported, you can filter the imported set to show only jpgs, then delete theme in one go. You need to enable the setting "treat jpgs next to dng as separate images" in Preferences. Better than deleting them one by one anyway.

• Like 1

Guest Alxndr

Again, not the answer you wanted to your question, but, once imported, you can filter the imported set to show only jpgs, then delete theme in one go. You need to enable the setting "treat jpgs next to dng as separate images" in Preferences. Better than deleting them one by one anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion Paul. But after thinking about it I think I prefer to go into the SD card and use my Mac's 'sort on program'-function to select and delete the jpeg's collectively before importing.

Edited by Alxndr

Why not just copy the raw files only from the camera to a folder on the computer, THEN import into Lightroom from the folder. Then the jpegs and raw can stay on the card until you've backed them up. It what I do and allows me to have a sort through on the computer first with a simple file viewer and weed out any duds.

Gerry

Open the SD card in the explorer/finder window and search or organise so you can select only the DNG files. Then drag and drop that selection into the Lightroom Library window. This will import only the DNG's.

Not a perfect solution but the quickest workaround i have seen (credit to user 'onlyiwillremain' at the adobe forums https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1149772

Good luck.  :) 

Edited by Oskar's Barsnacks

Have you tried going into Lightroom 6’s preferences? Look under “File Handling” and where it indicates JPEG Preview, select “None.” That should only allow the DNG files to show and leave the JPEG files on the SD card

It works in Lightroom 5. I don’t have version 6, but this saves me from having to deselect the JPEGs all the time. 

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

To be honest I have never understood the point of importing images into Apertures or Lightrooms catalogue ....... just a recipe for future disaster and problems as far as I can see.......

I import direct (on a Mac) from the disk by just arranging them by size (X-V, T and Q) ....... the DNG's are always dramatically bigger then copying them to my own catalogue arranged by year ........ the JPG dregs at the bottom of the list get ignored.

In LR or Aperture I  then import new files from this folder ....... and add to the catalogue but leave the images in their original location....... so they can be accessed by LR/Aperture/DXO/Capture One or whatever. 

Using an automated process and stuffing them in permanently into a proprietary program is madness......

To be honest I have never understood the point of importing images into Apertures or Lightrooms catalogue ....... just a recipe for future disaster and problems as far as I can see.......

I import direct (on a Mac) from the disk by just arranging them by size (X-V, T and Q) ....... the DNG's are always dramatically bigger then copying them to my own catalogue arranged by year ........ the JPG dregs at the bottom of the list get ignored.

In LR or Aperture I  then import new files from this folder ....... and add to the catalogue but leave the images in their original location....... so they can be accessed by LR/Aperture/DXO/Capture One or whatever. 

Using an automated process and stuffing them in permanently into a proprietary program is madness......

There is no such thing as a LR catalogue which is separate from wherever the images happen to be in within the Windows file system (I can't answer for the strange world of Apple). Basically the LR catalogue is an index to where the images are - it doesn't hold the images themselves. When you import files you have a choice of:

- Copy (which leaves files but copies them to a defined folder - useful for importing from SD cards).

- Move (to a specified folder)

- Add (leaves the image in situ; useful if your image is already in the right place).

From the LR Library module you can drag images around between folders, in the same way as if you did it in Windows Explorer. The only difference is that if you do it in Windows Explorer, LR loses track of where they are. But even then, LR has tools for finding them again, which work reasonably well, but are not foolproof.

To my mind, none of these actions constitute "stuffing them permanently into a proprietary programme" - it's just normal file management. EDIT But perhaps it works totally differently on a Mac.

Edited by LocalHero1953

I can not agree more.   Import to photo directory/storage .    I use bridge/photoshop because there is no library.

If you wish to use LR,  copy to LR, process and move to original folder or sub folder.  Use Copy, not move to do the import.

On a pc,  you can sort files by file extension and DNG goes to on group,  jpeg separate.  Import or save the group you want.   I have yet to be able to do this on a mac.    

Guest Alxndr

Have you tried going into Lightroom 6’s preferences? Look under “File Handling” and where it indicates JPEG Preview, select “None.” That should only allow the DNG files to show and leave the JPEG files on the SD card. 

It works in Lightroom 5. I don’t have version 6, but this saves me from having to deselect the JPEGs all the time. 

Hope this helps.

Eric, thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't work. I have no clue what selecting 'none' at 'JPEG preview' does, but it doesn't prevent the import of the JPEG file, at least not in 6.0