Old vs new lens

Geolux

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2-11-2015

Hello:

It is pleasing to know that another person actually uses the thambar lens. I offer a couple of thoughts for consideration. The "spot" is definitely NOT a filter. It is a screw-in attachable central stop. It is the reason why there are two aperture scales.

The central portion of the lens is highly corrected, and the central stop is used to block the image from being formed by the corrected area, when that effect is desired.

The result from using a thambar on the 240 is expected to be different from using it with film. In my experience, Tri-x film was the film of choice for using the thambar. The reason is that the image on the film seemed to spread a bit uncontrollably on the film, resulting in a more widespread "sunny effect" than can be obtained by the digital sensors available today. Additionally, not all developing chemicals handled the spreading of light in the film emulsion the same way. So, different developers resulted in slightly different images.

While I have used both color transparency film and black and white film, I prefer the B&W. To me, the result in color is usually less desirable than B&W. But that is a personal preference. When I do use the thambar with color transparency film, I prefer a result that is obtained without the central stop, and the aperture stopped down to about 4.0, so the result is only very slightly soft. Landscapes seem to benefit from very slight softness.

Regardless, enjoy the Thambar, and let's see some results.

Geolux

2-11-2015

Hello:

It is pleasing to know that another person actually uses the thambar lens. I offer a couple of thoughts for consideration. The "spot" is definitely NOT a filter. It is a screw-in attachable central stop. It is the reason why there are two aperture scales.

The central portion of the lens is highly corrected, and the central stop is used to block the image from being formed by the corrected area, when that effect is desired.

The result from using a thambar on the 240 is expected to be different from using it with film. In my experience, Tri-x film was the film of choice for using the thambar. The reason is that the image on the film seemed to spread a bit uncontrollably on the film, resulting in a more widespread "sunny effect" than can be obtained by the digital sensors available today. Additionally, not all developing chemicals handled the spreading of light in the film emulsion the same way. So, different developers resulted in slightly different images.

While I have used both color transparency film and black and white film, I prefer the B&W. To me, the result in color is usually less desirable than B&W. But that is a personal preference. When I do use the thambar with color transparency film, I prefer a result that is obtained without the central stop, and the aperture stopped down to about 4.0, so the result is only very slightly soft. Landscapes seem to benefit from very slight softness.

Regardless, enjoy the Thambar, and let's see some results.

Geolux

Have any of you tried the Thambar (or other purely B&W-era glass) on a Monochrome and compared it to a color CMOS or CCD sensor?

"I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

-Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), Author of the American Declaration of Independence