Nikkor and Canon 50mm 1.4 LTMs

richfx

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you both. You're absolutely right that Youxin Ye does not have a collimator. He recommended that I send it to Don, which I did. It came back with an internal wobble and no sharper, necessitating a second trip. No wobble on its return, and it seems to be a bit sharper wide open, but not comparable to the Canon 50mm 1.4 LTM.

I'm wondering whether the S&W MC UV E43 filter that came with the Nikkor (I'd never heard of these, but learned that they are very inexpensive) is responsible for the softness. I use B&W MRC 007 clear filters on all my front elements, and will test it more carefully today without the S&W filter.

The "S&W" are cheap filters, i use them like they were lens caps. I use Canon coated filters, Schneider, B+W, and a few other higher quality filters with the lenses. Shoot without the filter and post a result.

Some of the cheaper filters are "polycarbonate" and will outgas. Yiu can clean the resulting haze off. Think of your 1970s Vinyl car seats and what they did to the rolled-up windows on a hot day.

The S&W UV filter that came with the lens definitely affected IQ and sharpness wide open (and no doubt otherwise). Here are photos with and without it. I'll put a B&W MRC 007 on it now. Thanks for the sage advice.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1