MP or M-A?

jmr237

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, that's too bad. Cosmetics only...not interested.

Actually I agree. If you want it pure and basic, let it be pure and basic then. I don't see why Leica would not offer a broad a la carte out of commercial reasons. It's a choice that is just consistent with the M-A 'philosophy'

Yes but have you noticed how limited the choices are for the M-A? No choice of frame lines or viewfinder magnification as with the MP and M7 only a choice of which colour leather for the covering ,strap and case.

I think that link you reference is getting the new "redesign" options for the à la carte programme (i.e. options for people who already own an MP or M7) mixed up with the apparent news that Leica will include the M-A in the full à la carte programme (i.e. where you order a new camera from scratch) from February next year.

I think that link you reference is getting the new "redesign" options for the à la carte programme (i.e. options for people who already own an MP or M7) mixed up with the apparent news that Leica will include the M-A in the full à la carte programme (i.e. where you order a new camera from scratch) from February next year.

I do hope so as purely cosmetic changes have limited appeal. The configurator referred to only includes the M7 & MP in the a la carte programme but that may only be until February.

I'd have to say the only modification I'd really want to make would be an 0.85 or better still - a 0.91 viewfinder :cool::cool::cool:

That being said, black paint would be nice

Or better still IMO, a re-release of the M3. I've owned three of them in my time and would jump at the chance of another. Preferably in black paint, but silver chrome is OK.

The edging around the VF window is something I miss. It did a great job of keeping fingers away from the glass.

Strange, but it was a rangefinder I never had a problem focussing accurately. The additional RF length must have made a large contribution to that. My current MP is fine with the x1.4 magnifier.

Gary

Edited by Rolo
  • Like 3

My main lens is the Summi 50/1.4, and I know at .72 is okay, but I've had 3 M cameras already with .72s and I'd like to finally go with a .85. I could easily wait until February for an M-A a la carte, but not sure if they're going to offer any viewfinder options. The new a la carte program says you can even send in your old camera to get modified, so this might be a different version of the a la carte program. I'm not confident that the online configurator will offer viewfinder options for anything besides the MP and M7.

Why do you think they'd exclude the M-A?

Probably because Leica haven't got around to having the M-A integrated into the online configurator though it might be that they are waiting to gauge how strong sales are before committing to the M-A as a permanent addition to the range?

Why do you think they'd exclude the M-A?

I don't know, just guessing, but after reading that info from red dot, it looks as though it's an a la carte "light" version, especially since it mentions you can send your camera in after the fact. Sort of like a cosmetic customization program, unlike the more comprehensive preorder online configurator. Hope I'm wrong.

One aspect of the Leica à la carte programme that is quite new and unheralded is that they are now able to tart up existing MP and M7 cameras with new leather, top plate, etc. Redesign Options.

I saw that some months ago, and have been entertaining the notion of having my stock silver M7 customized. Silver chrome top plate with no engravings or logos, black or even red leather covering, and MP style hardware. Ah, the fun of it all... :D

Well, I just bought a black M-A at the Leica store here in LA a few days ago. I hope I'm up to the challenge of no built-in meter. With that in mind, and since they couldn't hold the camera for me, I haven't opened the box yet (they allow exchanges on unopened boxes.) Very tough not to open that box, but I want to do a little more research on working without a meter. I'm sure some of you will laugh at me -- I know this is ridiculous and I'm just being overly cautious for sure, but what the heck...

Totally A personal decision. But forcing youself to have greater command of exposure can't hurt, and can be quite rewarding.

That's was my thinking, being forced to deal with it. Especially since it's film, and that costs money, unlike digital. When I had my MP, I relied too much on the meter, and it ended up interfering more than it helped.

• Like 1

Well, I just bought a black M-A at the Leica store here in LA a few days ago. I hope I'm up to the challenge of no built-in meter. With that in mind, and since they couldn't hold the camera for me, I haven't opened the box yet (they allow exchanges on unopened boxes.) Very tough not to open that box, but I want to do a little more research on working without a meter. I'm sure some of you will laugh at me -- I know this is ridiculous and I'm just being overly cautious for sure, but what the heck...

I have a M6 TTL Millennium with a very good built in meter and an M2. Lately I find myself reaching for the combination of the M2 plus a Sekonic 308S because I feel it give me more control over the final exposure. Having been a large format fan for a long time using a hand held meter is second nature. I like the built in for applications which make the hand held more work, if not impactical but since I am not using a Visoflex and a bellows combination the Sekonic serves me quite well. To be truthfull, if I hadn't spent the money to upgrade both cameras I would be seriously looking at an M-A. Simple, mechanical and in fifty years LUF will have a thread about who's the best to work on your M-A. Maybe Don Goldberg will still be around.

Totally A personal decision. But forcing youself to have greater command of exposure can't hurt, and can be quite rewarding.

Love that shot of yours of the woman with the megaphone. You certainly have no problem working without a meter...

• Like 1

I have a M6 TTL Millennium with a very good built in meter and an M2. Lately I find myself reaching for the combination of the M2 plus a Sekonic 308S because I feel it give me more control over the final exposure. Having been a large format fan for a long time using a hand held meter is second nature. I like the built in for applications which make the hand held more work, if not impactical but since I am not using a Visoflex and a bellows combination the Sekonic serves me quite well. To be truthfull, if I hadn't spent the money to upgrade both cameras I would be seriously looking at an M-A. Simple, mechanical and in fifty years LUF will have a thread about who's the best to work on your M-A. Maybe Don Goldberg will still be around.

Thanks. Today I picked up a Sekonic 398A just to try out, although I pretty much know I'll end up with a 308.

Love that shot of yours of the woman with the megaphone. You certainly have no problem working without a meter...

Very kind, thanks very much.

FWIW, I use a sekonic 308 to confirm exposure (I try my best to measure the exposure before i look at the meter). I carry it with me wherever I go. It is a nifty little device.

• Like 4