TAS filmprocessor

LeicaBraz

Guest gamincurieux

Nope, unfortunately not, I don't think these instructions apply when I've been provided with bare 'naked' Paterson discs, just the plastic without any kind of means of mounting on them.

If you have ordered TAS for tanks of different brands, the upper and lower tank holder must be exchanged. Below find a description containing the principal of exchanging, in special cases there might be an attached sheet with additional hints. Upper tank holder: Unfasten the screw B and remove the tank holder. Insert the other tank holder, screw "B" is located on the right side. Lower tank holder: Loosen screw E and remove the tank holder. Insert the other tank holder, choose the correct stop , insert an empty tank and do the fine tuning of the distance by knob F.

http://heilandelectronic.de/files/documents/TAS_UserManual.pdf

http://www.rhdesigns.co.uk/darkroom/html/tas_film_processor.html

Any help?

Guest gamincurieux

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest gamincurieux

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Fotohuis, you must surely have more of an idea about this machine than some random guy with an instruction manual, do you see what I mean from my photo? The manual effectively says 'undo this screw & undo that screw & pull the whole thing off, then push the other tank brand one back on & click into place, etc etc etc'...... yes, even without the manual I can easily see how to pull the Jobo discs completely off the TAS..... but, my plastic Paterson discs do not have any means of attaching to anything, they are just the bare naked freshly cut plastic discs with holes in the middle.

Indeed, that is how it is working.

You have to exchange the Jobo disks by the Paterson discs. A bit unusual to use a TAS with two different systems. So far I only have experience with the Jobo version and here you can adapt the distances for 1510-1520-1540 and 2521. So in this way you can develop all formats till 4x5" .

For the details I can advise you to call Heiland and before the end of next week (holidays).

For people who are wondering how you program a 2 bath developer like Diafine: You are using the extern memory and the internal memory. After programming the external with the developing time (A) only, but put the rest of the parameters on 0, you remove the external memory and then bath B is running plus the rest of the parameters in the internal memory.

Guest gamincurieux

Ah well, I'm a bit of an unusual kind of guy ;) Fact is, Jobo tanks are not easy to obtain in my part of the world, no local stockist, they are also quite expensive, so I'll have to get some online when I can afford it (having already spent a lot of money!)... I do want to get some Jobo tanks, I think everything would just go better with Jobo, the TAS was kind of 'made for' Jobo, it doesn't require an adapter for rotation etc etc... but I already possess many Paterson tanks (Paterson does have the better reels), so this is why I have tank holders for the two systems. To begin with I must use Paterson. Anyway it's ok, Juergen Heiland has sorted it all out for me. Thanks all!

You have to exchange the Jobo disks by the Paterson discs. A bit unusual to use a TAS with two different systems. So far I only have experience with the Jobo version and here you can adapt the distances for 1510-1520-1540 and 2521. So in this way you can develop all formats till 4x5" .

For the details I can advise you to call Heiland and before the end of next week (holidays).

For people who are wondering how you program a 2 bath developer like Diafine: You are using the extern memory and the internal memory. After programming the external with the developing time (A) only, but put the rest of the parameters on 0, you remove the external memory and then bath B is running plus the rest of the parameters in the internal memory.

Guest gamincurieux

Sorted by the excellent customer service of Heiland Electronic of course!

They are kindly providing another set of sliders for my Paterson discs/tank holders, so they can be easily & quickly attached/detached to/from the TAS as per the manual's description. The manual assumes you already have these sliders attached (which are the black contraptions with screws fixed to the middle of the discs/holders, they slide on to the two metal rails of the TAS & allows the tank to rotate). Mine did not, necessitating the unmounting & changing of the sliders from one kind to the other.

The reason I wanted both Jobo & Paterson tank holders is because the TAS will only accept a 5-reel tank of the Jobo kind - the Paterson 5-reel tank is just slightly too big. I've got plenty of Paterson tanks of all sizes, but I'll soon get a 5-reel Jobo tank for when needed.

Rotation of the Paterson tank requires an adapter wheel to be screwed on to the main rotation driving wheel. Mine was a bit hit & miss, not always rotating despite apparent good contact between the adapter & the main driving wheel & the tank. On closer inspection it appeared the contact between the adapter wheel & the main driving wheel was not quite right. The screw holes in the adapter for attaching it to the TAS were too high, so the alignment of the wheels was slightly out, enough to inhibit the intended movement. Heiland are sending a revised adapter.

That said about rotation, yesterday I developed my first films in it, without rotation, just normal inversion, I set it so the tank had no contact with the adapter wheel. It worked just fine without rotation, the negs are good. The TAS is easily programmable, the machine otherwise performed flawlessly. For this first batch of course I was sitting there watching it all happen (comparing it's actions/intervals with the Massive Dev app timer process just for fun... both in perfect sync!), but I can easily imagine setting the TAS to go as programmed and wandering off into the next room to do something else or going to the toilet to read the newspaper as it works away! I do need to fine tune my fixing of the tank into the TAS, my initial fumblings not quite in sync with the process, but I think that has more to do with how long it can take to close a Paterson tank lid properly all around & 'burping' the lid so there's a good seal after pouring developer in, this is the real time-consuming fumble... once you've managed to do that correctly you want to clamp it into the TAS pretty quickly and set the process in motion. I hear this is less of a problem with Jobo tanks (but frankly, Paterson film reels are better for loading, a shame they can't be used in Jobo tanks!).

I am very happy with my TAS. A couple of little hiccups now at the start, quickly solved through good service, all looking good ahead from here. In moving back to B&W film (and away from digital, aside from scanning film), my aim has been to set my darkroom up with added convenience & less tedium. I want to get my films developed quickly without standing around watching a clock with bated breath & agitating. My self-made temperature-controlled water bath for the chemicals, combined with the TAS, make film developing a breeze, even multiple tanks in a session. I'll shoot more film this way... I already am shooting more film, because having used the TAS once I can hardly wait to get the next lot developed, because developing them is finally now not a DRAG... can't argue with that ;)

BTW, it's worth noting here that I also recently bought the amazing LED light module for my Leitz V35 enlarger from Heiland. Quality stuff.

I'm sure anyone searching for this in the future would appreciate your sharing how it was sorted.

• Like 1

Guest gamincurieux

And, tonight's developing was even better, removing the tank from the TAS early enough to compensate for the time-consuming fumbling of closing/getting a good seal on the Paterson tank. So, there's no real fumbling with the TAS itself... sure, you need to acquaint yourself with loading a tank in it, but the TAS runs spot-on like clockwork, everything outside of the TAS's process needs to take it into consideration. Again, no rotation, just inversion... the negs look good.