PA-Curtagon vs. R9

swamiji

I'm sure it's possible to have a two null cam lens; Leica Wiki and associated correspondence implies that later versions of the PA Curtagon had three but earlier ones would have had two!

I also think that the current PC Super Angulon has a second and third null cam, but not the first cam, since its instruction leaflet says it can be used on SL, SL2 and R cameras, but does not say you can use it on the original Leicaflex!

Masjah, John,

No, there is no null first cam or null second cam, only a null 3rd cam. My PA-Super-Angulon, shown in my previous post, was purchased new in 2010 for my R9 and it only has a null 3rd cam.

Swamiji,

Also have a look at this thread: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/customer-forum/74697-pa-curtagon-35-4-a.html, and, in particular, the first post by Ivar B.

Guy

Edited by gvaliquette
Addition of thread
  • Like 1

Masjah, John,

No, there is no null first cam or null second cam, only a null 3rd cam. My PA-Super-Angulon, shown in my previous post, was purchased new in 2010 for my R9 and it only has a null 3rd cam.

Guy

Guy, mine definitely has the static (null) second cam. If I hold the lens so that the milled latching slot is downwards (south, so to speak) then the little static (null) 3rd R cam is at north-west, and the 2nd static (null) cam is just inside the mount at south-west. This is also consistent with my instruction booklet, which says my lens can be use with SL, SL2 and R cameras. Mine lens is older than yours, so perhaps later production was static R cam only? Can I ask, what bodies does your copy of the user booklet say may be used with your sample of the lens?

PS: Alan Bower's book also has a generic sketch showing the three static (null) cams with the first static (null) cam at north-east if fitted.

Edited by masjah

This is at a tangent: I sometimes use a 28mm Nikkor PC lens on my M9 and it makes it much easier to get in the top of a building without tilting the camera back. The M9 meter copes well enough with exposure even though the lens is shifted off-axis. Of course I have to examine the pictures to see if I have framed them correctly (it's not a reflex camera). Not as sharp as a 28mm Elmarit.:)

Philip

Guy, here is a picture of the two cams on my PC Super Angulon. (Slight orange cast is because of an orangy curtain shading direct window sunlight.) You can clearly see the static R cam and the 2nd static cam to the left on the picture. (taken with the100/2.8 Apo with it's own Elpro)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

John,

I stand corrected, you are right. Now that you pointed it out, I see the null 2nd cam on both of my lenses. The question remains, what is the function of the null cams on these lenses? Other lenses that have to meter at working aperture, or the bellows, don't have a null cam!

Guy

John,

I stand corrected, you are right. Now that you pointed it out, I see the null 2nd cam on both of my lenses. The question remains, what is the function of the null cams on these lenses? Other lenses that have to meter at working aperture, or the bellows, don't have a null cam!

Guy

Guy, well, as I said in an earlier post, I believe the cams are there to tell the camera that the light value it meters is the actual one to use when calculating exposure, as distinct from the cam on a coupled aperture lens which tells the camera the difference between open aperture metering, and the actual aperture being used.

This then begs your question about how do you get the right exposure with bellows and lenses with no cams at all (I didn't actually know there were any). I always thought that the later bellows BR2 actually had some sort of linkage to the lens, but I don't know about the earlier bellows.

John,

I went back and looked at my bellows, the Novoflex Automatic bellows, again and it DOES have both the null 2nd cam and the null 3rd cam! So I guess they actually DO serve a function, it's just that that function is not clear. Your assumption that it tells the camera that the meter reading is the actual measurement and not to factor in a diaphragm closure sounded right, but my Novoflex bellows actually DOES close down the diaphragm before the exposure!

Any authoritative sources out there?

Guy