Airplanes I Remember

Tullahoma

Jim, a couple of good portraits of veteran aircraft. I like the sky; you were fortunate to get that as well.

A few weeks ago I attended a local air show and the low cloud spoiled many aerial shots. I will post some taken with my Leica.

David

My DSL connection has spoiled me. I would never have been able to post and view this forum on my old dial-up service. The local show here was to be a two day affair. I went the first day and it was hot, but beautiful. The second day, a small, high intensity, storm came along and they had to cancel the show and get the people out as others were still arriving. No people or airplanes were hurt, but there were a lot of disappointed airplane fans.

The boy definitely enjoyed the airplanes. The one you referred to as the Zero is apparently a WWII Vultee BT-13 trainer that was converted to resemble a Japanese dive bomber for use in making the movie, TORA, TORA, TORA. A real Zero would have retractible landing gear.

.... [a] Japanese dive bomber for use in making the movie, TORA, TORA, TORA. A real Zero would have retractible landing gear.

Yes. I stand corrected. Though I have not seen the movie I copy your explanation. Great shots. And I love you guys from 'Other' postings as it brings astonishing airplanes directly into my study. Cheers. :-)

To keep on the same theme, I will add one additional image, though it was made with a simple Exa SLR and a Steinheil Culminar 85mm f/2.8 lens. This is a 1932 Great Lakes biplane that was rebuilt from a "basket case" by its present owner, a retired airline pilot.

• 1 month later...

Each passion has its place. I enjoyed a Leica IIIa before I took up flying, then enjoyed both for a lot of years. Now, no longer able to pass a flight physical, I'm back to photographing the airplanes that I can no longer fly.

Thanks for looking.

Jim N.

There were no filters used for any of these photos. I don't even have Skylight filters to fit the lenses I used for them. The film for the airshow photos was Fuji 200 from Wal-Mart. I don't recall what was used for the Great Lakes photo, but suspect it was either Fuji 200 or 400.

Jim