I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

People and people and more people...

IIIg, 50mm elmar collapsible, Tri-X

Wall Street, NYC

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 18

Am contemplating adding a Sonnar 150mm f4 to the 80mm Planar & 60mm Distagon for my Hasselblad 500C.  Anyone using one, comments appreciated!

You can't go wrong with the 150mm sonnar.   It's always cheaper than the 180mm because internet forum 'wisdom' says the 150mm is lacking something against the 180mm by comparison.  I have more than a strong suspicion that most of those who spout that opinion wouldn't be able to tell any worthwhile difference between them. It's a nice portriat lens and more than holds it's own.

Go for a C if your want the cheapest or a CF for the best performance for a relative bargain, unless you want to spend a lot more on a CFI.

• Like 3

M7 35mm summilux pre asph hp5

• Like 18

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Typical. Just when you go an fire the trigger, some bloke walks into the frame completely oblivious of his surroundings .............plonker :)

• Like 11

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's nice Neil, as always the story, the spelling, and the spell-checker make the complete picture, but this shot on it's own stands. It has a nice range of tones too (to me), and I had to agree with the frank assessment Steve gave a few pages back, the 6x6 stuff wasn't "vintage Neil". This is.

Mind you, the "dropped the film holder" is the best yet.

Whatever you do, if you get to NZ, bring the Chamonix.

Gary

Morning Gary

So we've made a booking to fly to Christchurch on the 12th March and will stay for 12 days. We like to drive and shoot (not into hiking or anything like that) so looking at the map of the south island if we fly into Christchurch and stay there for the first night, then with a rental car head off into the wilderness.

Looking at the map, I was thinking about this route;

Christchurch 1 night

Dunadin 1 night

Catlins Forest Park 2 nights

Fiordland National Park 2 nights

Wanaka 1 niight

Fox Glasier 1 nights

Graymouth 1 night

Takaka 1 night

Blenheim 1 night

Christchurch 1 night

Fly to Sydney for two nights then home

What do you think?

Camera gear for the trip will be Leica S007, maybe SL as a backup. It would be impossible trying to make that trip with the Chamonix and 8x10 film holders and airport security.

Neil

• Like 2

Am contemplating adding a Sonnar 150mm f4 to the 80mm Planar & 60mm Distagon for my Hasselblad 500C.  Anyone using one, comments appreciated!

Love that lens! I have the 150/4 CF because I use the 203FE body.

For it's length it is a very light lens. I think that long tube is full of air. :p

It is a very manageable lens and I find the quality is fine. If you buy one, make sure it comes with a sun shade, or buy one separately.

The dedicated Blad shade (expensive) is very good, unlike Leica shades that are merely decorative and meant to be compact(useless).

A quick look through my archives has produced this image that I can remember using the lens on.

Subject is a West Australian Flowing Gum, that is outside my house.

• Like 14

Very cool, and unusual, portrait Eoin. I like the 'what box?' approach.

br

Philip

Thanks, Philip. She was standing at a pedestrian crossing, and I liked the way her face was masked by her hair. The negative looks much better than this web image - I might try lightening it up to show the hair detail.

• Like 2

Morning Gary

So we've made a booking to fly to Christchurch on the 12th March and will stay for 12 days. We like to drive and shoot (not into hiking or anything like that) so looking at the map of the south island if we fly into Christchurch and stay there for the first night, then with a rental car head off into the wilderness.

Christchurch 1 night

Dunadin 1 night

Wanaka 1 niight

Fox Glasier 1 nights

Graymouth 1 night

Takaka 1 night

Blenheim 1 night

Christchurch 1 night

What do you think?

Camera gear for the trip will be Leica S007, maybe SL as a backup. It would be impossible trying to make that trip with the Chamonix and 8x10 film holders and airport security.

Neil

Hi, Neil. If it were me, I would head from the West Coast over Arthur's Pass to Christchurch, and use the freed up extra days down South (eg a day drive from over Cardrona to Arrowtown / Queenstown, and back around Cromwell / Luggate. Do make sure you drop in to Punakaiki (Pancake Rocks). These are digital (the shame), but are with a Leica...

22248822371_4de5e38c49_b.jpgd014 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

22248896821_1a740ae799_b.jpgd012 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

22050475990_61b05eba0d_b.jpgd011 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

22050847088_0146645ba7_b.jpgd009 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

• Like 18

Morning Gary

Christchurch 1 night

Dunadin 1 night

Wanaka 1 niight

Fox Glasier 1 nights

Graymouth 1 night

Takaka 1 night

Blenheim 1 night

Christchurch 1 night

What do you think?

Neil

Hi Neil,

It's a great idea, but it's a decent trip, driving-wise. A lot of distance between places, and the roads can be scenic but twisting as well. The Kaikoura area is out of action as you likely have heard, but your proposed trip doesn't go near that anyway. (how will you get between Blenheim and Christchurch at the end though?).

Yep, do it. The West Coast is nice, rugged, but nice, and less people there. Catlins and Fiordland ditto. Bear in mind though that a boat trip, or similar to some of the nicer areas will soak up a bit of time. If you're into scenery, you'll love it. The Otago area is exceptional in the autumn as well. S and SL sounds perfect, not to Henry of course, but perfect.

Gary

• Like 3

Morning Gary

Christchurch 1 night

Dunadin 1 night

Wanaka 1 niight

Fox Glasier 1 nights

Graymouth 1 night

Takaka 1 night

Blenheim 1 night

Christchurch 1 night

What do you think?

Neil

A great trip Neil , I am jealous

Go for S and SL , but your color is not true and not natural , without PP

and conversion color in b&w is not satisfying :)

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

Hi, Neil. If it were me, I would head from the West Coast over Arthur's Pass to Christchurch, and use the freed up extra days down South (eg a day drive from over Cardrona to Arrowtown / Queenstown, and back around Cromwell / Luggate. Do make sure you drop in to Punakaiki (Pancake Rocks). These are digital (the shame), but are with a Leica...

22248822371_4de5e38c49_b.jpgd014 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

22248896821_1a740ae799_b.jpgd012 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

22050475990_61b05eba0d_b.jpgd011 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

22050847088_0146645ba7_b.jpgd009 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Eoin it's SUPERB specially pictures 2, 3 and 4.

Film , lens  and camera ?

Thank you for posting

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

Love that lens! I have the 150/4 CF because I use the 203FE body.

For it's length it is a very light lens. I think that long tube is full of air. :p

It is a very manageable lens and I find the quality is fine. If you buy one, make sure it comes with a sun shade, or buy one separately.

The dedicated Blad shade (expensive) is very good, unlike Leica shades that are merely decorative and meant to be compact(useless).

A quick look through my archives has produced this image that I can remember using the lens on.

Subject is a West Australian Flowing Gum, that is outside my house.

Erl wonderful color and flowers in relief on my Eizo screen

Thank you

Rg

Henry

• Like 1