I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Weird design Keith, it floods a lot? Is that the reason the building is up on poles?

Gary

Gary you also find it in a laotian village :)

Quiz :  search the boy I cared and watched me leave his house

because he did not want me to leave him (during one of my humanitarian mission) 

Fuji Superia 100

MP-50 Summilux

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Best

Henry

I find that for some of your pictures with compact photos lack a general rendering and even sharpness.

Leica optics are expensive and you pay the quality , they deserve :)

That is also important a good combination lens - camera !

Don't be angry if I tell you that :)

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 4

An old King's galion

Port of Nantes - Atlantic Ocean

France

Kodak TX

M7-50 Lux Asph

Best

Henry

Note the sharpness of ropes :)

Tiff > Jpeg for post and uncorrected

Nikon Coolscan 5000

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 10

Ye Olde Town Hall. Olympus OM2n, Zuiko Auto-S 50mm f1.8, Tri-X, Rodinal.

I remember seeing an old town hall similar to this somewhere in Shropshire (from memory). Was amazed that a similar design wasn't used more widely... perfect for the gentry to hobnob upstairs whilst the plebians could trade downstairs out of the rain.

Then I moved to Switzerland, and have seen the same design countless times in Switzerland, Germany, Austria... Bet yer they were also ubiquitous in the UK before the move towards neo classism caused town and city planners to tear them down and replace them with the usual Georgian and Victorian stone structures. Mock-athenian, if you will. Ironically, we're now up to our necks in mock-tudor, so there must be something to the older ways.

Ric

23980199375_36f9a55959_b.jpgHütten by -Ric Capucho-

Ok, last of the foggy trees for now. Also with the Contax T2 on XP2.

Right, all this talk about the Ricoh GR1v reminded me of a similar search I did for a compact film camera.

I wanted something compact around 50mm with decent enough optics, aperture priority, and (shoot me, why don't you - but an ironic twist comes later) autofocus. The idea was to keep it in my car, or shove into my work briefcase when I'm on a business trip. And to generally have something to hand that I can treat like cr@p, don't mind getting wet, don't mind it getting cooked in a hot car in summer, and don't mind it being stolen if it comes to that. All too much to bear when thinking about my beloved Leica gear.

I considered the Minolta TC-1 and the Ricoh GR1v but 28mm is waaaay too wide for me. After nearly a couple of years with the M6 and the 50mm Summicron, my eyes no longer work that way. I also looked at various 1990s options from the big brands, and discounted any number of Nikons, Canons, Olympi, and whatnot, as none of them came close to what a Ricoh GR1v or Fujifilm Klasse or various Contax could offer. The Klasse came close, but I was put off by reports of shutter lag and the cr@p view-finder. Oh, and the Leica Mini has an appalling reputation, which I'm not at all sure it deserves.

So that left the Contax's. I tried a TVS-II which is everything I wanted bar the bloody finicky (and slow) zoom lens at the front. Must sell it on someday. I looked at the T3, and that's when I discovered and read the reports by Hamish, Bellamy and Ming Thien. The T3 seems to be a cracking camera, with its 35mm Zeiss being close enough to 50mm for me to bridge the gap, but the T2 is even closer: the 38mm is close as damn it to 40mm, it's a doddle to operate, and the view finder isn't a catastrophe after the luxury of peeping though the M6.

So after nine months with the Contax T2, I'm sorted. A bit like Adam is with his Ricoh. If it breaks, I'll Ebay a replacement. I came close to buying another one for (non-flash) night photography, but have already made some, erm, adjustments to the one I've got: I've gaffer-taped over the flash, which shields the flash during street photography. That allows me to set it to the flash speeds of f/2.8 and 1/30 regardless of what the meter says - but there's no alternative without the blinding flash.

I also use the exposure compensation a lot, either at night (-2) or during fogs (+2) or anywhere in between.

But taping the flash wasn't enough because a huge amount of flash still came through the autofocus window... so I taped over that, with guess what results. So I now use the manual zone focus positions. If it smells like 5m then I set it there, otherwise infinity does the trick. Oh, and the gaffer tape also did for my framelines, so I frame by remembering where they were... probably. One day I'll see if there's a way to fully remove or otherwise disable the damn flash. But I think a disabled capacitor, or a capacitor which is unable to discharge because of a blown bulb leads quickly to a bricked T2.

Other bugbears: it's a bit too big to be compact, and there's no DX override other than the exp comp - and *that's* a bit limited by -2/+2. It might be that the T3 is closer to my perfect compact, but until then I'll stick to the T2... and continue to treat it like cr@p.

Ric

Edited by Guest

Late afternoon at The Rocks, Sydney

M6TTL, 50 Lux, Velvia 100, Low res scan by the Lab

• Like 4

23980199375_36f9a55959_b.jpgHütten by -Ric Capucho-

Ok, last of the foggy trees for now. Also with the Contax T2 on XP2.

Right, all this talk about the Ricoh GR1v reminded me of a similar search I did for a compact film camera.

I wanted something compact around 50mm with decent enough optics, aperture priority, and (shoot me, why don't you - but an ironic twist comes later) autofocus. The idea was to keep it in my car, or shove into my work briefcase when I'm on a business trip. And to generally have something to hand that I can treat like cr@p, don't mind getting wet, don't mind it getting cooked in a hot car in summer, and don't mind it being stolen if it comes to that. All too much to bear when thinking about my beloved Leica gear.

I considered the Minolta TC-1 and the Ricoh GR1v but 28mm is waaaay too wide for me. After nearly a couple of years with the M6 and the 50mm Summicron, my eyes no longer work that way. I also looked at various 1990s options from the big brands, and discounted any number of Nikons, Canons, Olympi, and whatnot, as none of them came close to what a Ricoh GR1v or Fujifilm Klasse or various Contax could offer. The Klasse came close, but I was put off by reports of shutter lag and the cr@p view-finder. Oh, and the Leica Mini has an appalling reputation, which I'm not at all sure it deserves.

So that left the Contax's. I tried a TVS-II which is everything I wanted bar the bloody finicky (and slow) zoom lens at the front. Must sell it on someday. I looked at the T3, and that's when I discovered and read the reports by Hamish, Bellamy and Ming Thien. The T3 seems to be a cracking camera, with its 35mm Zeiss being close enough to 50mm for me to bridge the gap, but the T2 is even closer: the 38mm is close as damn it to 40mm, it's a doddle to operate, and the view finder isn't a catastrophe after the luxury of peeping though the M6.

So after nine months with the Contax T2, I'm sorted. A bit like Adam is with his Ricoh. If it breaks, I'll Ebay a replacement. I came close to buying another one for (non-flash) night photography, but have already made some, erm, adjustments to the one I've got: I've gaffer-taped over the flash, which shields the flash during street photography. That allows me to set it to the flash speeds of f/2.8 and 1/30 regardless of what the meter says - but there's no alternative without the blinding flash.

I also use the exposure compensation a lot, either at night (-2) or during fogs (+2) or anywhere in between.

But taping the flash wasn't enough because a huge amount of flash still came through the autofocus window... so I taped over that, with guess what results. So I now use the manual zone focus positions. If it smells like 5m then I set it there, otherwise infinity does the trick. Oh, and the gaffer tape also did for my framelines, so I frame by remembering where they were... probably. One day I'll see if there's a way to fully remove or otherwise disable the damn flash. But I think a disabled capacitor, or a capacitor which is unable to discharge because of a blown bulb leads quickly to a bricked T2.

Other bugbears: it's a bit too big to be compact, and there's no DX override other than the exp comp - and *that's* a bit limited by -2/+2. It might be that the T3 is closer to my perfect compact, but until then I'll stick to the T2... and continue to treat it like cr@p.

Ric

Very nice Ric I love fog in film

Interesting reasoning .... and the Minox ? :D

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

The pleasure to watch a "true" color with no use of photo software

Tam Ky

(VN)

Kodak Portra 160

M7-50 Summilux Asph

Rg

Henry

• Like 6

and for Gary :)

Notre Dame de Paris

Ilford D100 Prof.

(Ilfosol S -20°C-9mns)

MP-50 LA

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 7

and Kodak Portra 400

The Mont Saint Michel seen from the coast

Normandie (France)

M7- 35 Lux Asph

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 10

Bad light condition but atmosphere well reproduced by film

and only with TX 400 Isos

Kodak TX400

(dev D76)

MP-35LA

Best

Henry

• Like 6

"He's a lumberjack and he's OK..."

Just back from the post office. 20kg of Leica cameras and lenses sent off to Montreal. Left with an M2, and chrome 35, 50, 90. I intend to pick up speed now, and shoot more. :p

C.

Edited by chrism
  • Like 5

Just back from the post office. 20kg of Leica cameras and lenses sent off to Montreal. Left with an M2, and chrome 35, 50, 90. I intend to pick up speed now, and shoot more. :p

C.

20kg!  WTF!  What does that encompass, if you don't mind me asking?  And what is the purpose of sending it to Montreal?

• Like 1

Weird design Keith, it floods a lot? Is that the reason the building is up on poles?

Gary

Scroll slightly down this page and all is briefly explained :)  Not only was it used for storage for market goods but also included a lock-up for local drunks - given the number of pubs along the High St it was probably well-frequented!

• Like 3

C.

Chris , I said above that the Leica equipment , it is the quality :)    and it is worth gold  ! :D

No wonder , it is so heavy !   it's like tube amps , one mono block weighs 20 kgs :)

Make beautiful pictures Chris.

Best

Henry