Elmarit 28mm Version IV

mobirobo1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Folks,

I have been looking for a version IV 28MM Elmarit and thought that I had found one today.

However on closer inspection I saw something that I have never seen before and I am not quite sure what to think.

Looking into the lens from the front I saw that on the rim of the 2nd lens where it is set in the casing there was a tiny sliver of white right on the edge where the glass is set in the casing.

I have seen fungus on the Rokkor 28MM of the Minolta CLE and this does not look like that so I do not believe it to be fungus. It Looks more like "sloppy" work by someone that used a Little too much kit which was pushed out when the lens was fitted into place.

In the shop, the staff did not know what it was and they did not appear to have noticed before at all.

The lens had been with Leica recently for 6B coding so one would think they would have noticed if something is wrong. However I have asked the shop to get an "official" Leica Statement on what it is before I consider buying it.

Has anyone had similar experiences with the IV Version of the 28mm?

Thanks

Rolf

Flickr: Mobirobo's Photostream

The v.4 28 Elmarit has no cemented elements in the front (in fact, only one cemented group - first group behind the aperture blades).

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/28mm_f/2.8_Elmarit-M_IV

An air bell can form between a glass element and the metal lens barrel (painted matte black usually) and show up as a white area due to the difference in refraction between glass and air.

Similar to air trapped in/under ice: Twig Under Ice | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Technically it would be a "separation" - although glass separating from metal, not glass decementing from glass. And it was a known "event" with the Minolta CLE 28's (not fungus - although that doesn't mean a CLE 28 couldn't develop fungus as well.)

So long as it is out of the optical path (which it is if it involves a joint to opaque metal), it is a cosmetic defect that won't affect pictures.

thanks Andy, Tobey,

The airbell theory sticks for me.

Indeed the white sliver shows right there where the glass element meets the barrel. And a tiny bit of trapped air might just be it.

But the edge of the glass element is also refracting light to the rear of the lens which would then be influenced by that air on the edge?

Well I had my M6 with me and took a few pictures with it in the store. And on my Tri-X negatives that I just developed this morning I cannot find any anomalies. So that indicates that you are right.

I will try and re-negotiate the price based on the cosmetic flaw and buy it, knowing that I probably will not sell it again. (I made that mistake 9 years ago already once)

Thanks again for the feedback/explanation.

It is pleasure to be in this forum. :)

Rolf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I must say that upon a cursory look at the image there is plenty of detail and the contrast I rather like.

Good observation about the contrast. I had expected the IV version of the Elmarit 28 to be a little softer. The Tri-X was standard developed in D76 - 1:1 @ 20C / 9 minutes with normal agitation.

Rolf

Flickr: Mobirobo's Photostream

Interesting!

I have the very same phenomenon with my thirty years old 28mm Elmarit, bought new then. I must point out that the pictures made with it are just fine, for all practical purpose.

I presume it would be difficult to sell it now. But since I have no intention to do it, hey!

Pierre

that is precisely how i think as well Pierre :-)

i got the dealer to reduce the price by a few sfr and I am actually on my way to the store to pick it up right now!

the good thing is perhaps tha our 28mm's are unique and we will always be able to recognize ours :-)

rolf

• 2 weeks later...

I have been busy trying out my "blemished" 28MM Elmarit and I am quite happy with it. I particularly like to use it indoors. Here is an example on Tri-X in an exhibition hall. Granted there is a lot of light but the overall impression I like a lot. And of course the smile I got alone was worth the picture :) Rolf

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!