Zeiss 35mm biogon

George61d

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi

Does anyone have any experience using this lens with a leica film body. I have read Mr. Putts comments and I am tempted to pop for it over the leica equivalent, While the latter might be better, I cant afford it at the moment.

It would be used for street and indoor candids on an MP. Typically the street candids would allow at least F4, but indoors in bars etc I would need F2

Currently using a 50mm Summicron F2.

I just had the same quandry - and I ended up picking up a used Summicron 35 for about the same price as the new Zeiss. If you look around, you can find them easily. I got the last pre-asph model I think.

That is the great thing about M lenses on my M8 - I can reach back into the large inventory of used lenses.

George, the Biogon certainly isn't a bad lens. What I dislike about this lens is its length, it is so much longer than say a last version preasph Summicron 35mm, and quite a bit longer than the current 35asph, which means it intrudes significantly more into your field of view as seen through the viewfinder.

Andy

It would be used for street and indoor candids on an MP. Typically the street candids would allow at least F4, but indoors in bars etc I would need F2

Whilst we all might express a preference for one lens over another, the reality is that any modern decent quality prime lens is going to be good enough for the type of photography typically carried out with a 35mm camera. The difference between a Leica 35mm and a Zeiss 35mm is unlikely to be the limiting factor holding back a photographer. The Zeiss will be absolutely fine for your needs.

Thanks folks for the input.

My self and a colleague are collaborating on a book which in the short term is driving the need for this lens.

Second hand ones are not easy to come by in Ireland, and I hate to courier such expensive pieces of glass.

I had not thought of the aspect of the length of the lens intruding into the FOV.

So two final questions if I may.

1. Does the zeiss bring up the correct frame lines.

2. Are there any issues using the zeiss on an M8

George

Ffordes have a 35mm Summicron with hood for £425. I believe that the Zeiss lens is over £600 + extra for the hood [ new ] and as I don't think you will see any difference in the results,[ you would with the size and handling], I personally would go for the Leica lens.

Bruno

Yes, it does.

No, except that it can't be coded properly.

Andy

That is ia major problem in itself I would think, since with the use of an IR cut filter for color photography with the M8 (mandatory for accurate color reproduction), you will get the cyan drift effect (red colors) due to the filter. This effect is supposed to be corrected via the next iteration of the firmware for the M8, but it works in conjunction with the coding on the lenses - it needs to recognise the lens attached in order to apply the correct correction.

No problems with the MP though!

George

Ffordes have a 35mm Summicron with hood for £425. I believe that the Zeiss lens is over £600 + extra for the hood [ new ] and as I don't think you will see any difference in the results,[ you would with the size and handling], I personally would go for the Leica lens.

Bruno

Thanks for the tip....I see they have an xpan too...could turn out to be an expensive weekend

Cheers

George, the Biogon certainly isn't a bad lens. What I dislike about this lens is its length, it is so much longer than say a last version preasph Summicron 35mm, and quite a bit longer than the current 35asph, which means it intrudes significantly more into your field of view as seen through the viewfinder.

Andy

If there is one downside to the Biogon it is indeed it's size.

OTOH, the v4 'cron is so small that I had a hard time changing the aperture with the hood on. The asph is bigger, yet still smaller than the Biogon.

Here is what Tom Abrahamson said about the Biogon today on RFF:

"I like the Biogon 35/2 ZI. Its performance rivals or maybe even surpasses 35/2 IV or 35/2 Asph. It has a smoother rendition and very even across the negative. My only beef with the lens is its size. I am so used to small, compact 35's that the Biogon feels like a 50 Summilux. It is most likely a matter of getting used to it which might take another 15/20 rolls. The 35's are my prime lenses and they have to be almost "instinctive" in my hands and the Biogon still have some ways to go."