M6 - strange banding

Ecaton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

:confused:

After many years of digital just shot my first roll of film, and for the first time with a rangefinder (M6 TTL). To see the results wanted it developped quickly and brought it to Brooks for their 1hour processing service.

Any idea what the band could be which shows up on all shots (see low resolution examples below). The lens is clear. Also there seems to be no band on the negs, or at least, I can't see anything through a magnifier glass. Could it be that the film was not properly in the camera and got somehow damaged through the transporting mechanism - although I assume this would be visible on the negs as well?

[ATTACH]23499[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]23501[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]23502[/ATTACH]

Martin

If it's not on the negs then it's got to be at the printing stage - take the prints back and demand a reprint.

Check the negs also by letting them catch the light, and see if you can see any sort of scratching - check both sides. I would have thought that you would have seen this through a magnifying glass though.

Martin

If it's not on the negs then it's got to be at the printing stage - take the prints back and demand a reprint.

Check the negs also by letting them catch the light, and see if you can see any sort of scratching - check both sides. I would have thought that you would have seen this through a magnifying glass though.

John,

Thanks for your input. I looked again through the magnifying glass from both sides and also holding the negs against a strong lamp and can now see a thin scratch on most if not all of the negs. I was woundering whether the camera's transportation mechanism could cause this (because of dust) although this does not seem very logic to me.

I definitely will shoot a second roll asap an bring it to another lab to compare the results.

Martin

I have a suspicion the film was damaged during processing while it was still wet. If you look carefully you can see where the gelatin has puckered along the sides of the scratch. The puckering also points in the direction of film travel. I think that would only happen if the emulsion was wet and soft when the abrasion occurred.

Bob.

Leica and 1hr processing? Forget it that is not the place to start..your adding insult to injury. Go to a Pro Lab..make sure its "Dip and Dunk" that is the negs are hand done and never go through "rollers" and special dryers are not used to ruin the negs longevity.

Do that first and forget about prints form these labs, you can't go by that either, they are usually junk.

Get yourself a decent scanner,learn to scan yourself. Or... rent a Lab space where you can do your own color and B&W printing, most towns have at least one.

Go luck and avoid these 1hr Photo places..please!!!

Regards, Leicamann