PhotoRaw

swamiji

It does work with Leica files. Given who wrote it, it would hardly not ;)

But be aware that a new version (V1.1.0) will come out in just a few days - there is a potentially nasty import bug in the current version :o

V1.1.0 will also have X1 support.

Sandy

• Like 2

- there is a potentially nasty import bug in the current version :o

Sandy

You mean like crashing my IPad during import?

I figured that would be fixed quickly...

I do have one question though, lets say I imported both the jpeg and the dng into photo album. How can I tell the difference between them from within photo raw? I don't see any file type marking.

You mean like crashing my IPad during import?

I figured that would be fixed quickly...

I do have one question though, lets say I imported both the jpeg and the dng into photo album. How can I tell the difference between them from within photo raw? I don't see any file type marking.

Exactly like crashing your iPad during import. It only happens to about 1 in 20 people, for unknown reasons, but it's pretty bad when it does happen.

A useful side effect of the rewrite to cure the import bug is that the new version has an entirely different import dialog that will only display raw files. So you won'y see JPEGs alongside the raws anymore.

Regards,

Sandy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Immediately bought it – many thanks to Sandy!

Probably due to the low power of the iPad PhotoRaw is very sloooow–about one minute per image with my M8 files. So it seems to be clear why Apple did not integrate a RAW processor into iOSX.

Therefore I don’t think it is a good idea to convert a larger amount of RAW images and expecting to have a quick look at their sharpness ;) But for people like me who just want to load and occasionally look at their files on travel and want to avoid shooting both RAW and JPG it’s a very welcome solution. So many thanks to Sandy, and I will patiently wait for upgrades and give more feedback about bugs or possible improvements like these:

• Some of the images were rotated by 90º or 180º, no idea why.

• After importing images via the camera connector kit I start PhotoRaw and just want to look at them. So I choose the album Last Import and get offered the thumbnails of the album’s content. In this situation of the workflow I miss the possibility to choose several or all images to convert. Did I miss something?

• Having chosen one image I do not understand what I’m told by the term "Move and scale". Clicking on the button "Use" obviously converts the images yet not saving it as JPG which is o.k.

• If I convert several images with this procedure one after another I see a row of converted images named "adobe raw-image(nn)". It would be helpful if the images would be listed with their original names plus a suffix like: <name of image_conv>. This name could be used also when saving it as .jpg.

• There are three rulers offered to modify the image. It would be helpful to be able to restore the original setting of each ruler (double-click?).

• If looking at a converted image It would be comfortable to be able to flic and choose the next image.

These I just a few ideas and as said I'm looking forward to the next update.

For me PhotoRaw put the iPad into the function I had in mind from the beginning: being able to hold and show my RAW images on travel.

Thanks and best

Holger

Immediately bought it – many thanks to Sandy!

Probably due to the low power of the iPad PhotoRaw is very sloooow–about one minute per image with my M8 files. So it seems to be clear why Apple did not integrate a RAW processor into iOSX.

Therefore I don’t think it is a good idea to convert a larger amount of RAW images and expecting to have a quick look at their sharpness ;) But for people like me who just want to load and occasionally look at their files on travel and want to avoid shooting both RAW and JPG it’s a very welcome solution. So many thanks to Sandy, and I will patiently wait for upgrades and give more feedback about bugs or possible improvements like these:

• Some of the images were rotated by 90º or 180º, no idea why.

• After importing images via the camera connector kit I start PhotoRaw and just want to look at them. So I choose the album Last Import and get offered the thumbnails of the album’s content. In this situation of the workflow I miss the possibility to choose several or all images to convert. Did I miss something?

• Having chosen one image I do not understand what I’m told by the term "Move and scale". Clicking on the button "Use" obviously converts the images yet not saving it as JPG which is o.k.

• If I convert several images with this procedure one after another I see a row of converted images named "adobe raw-image(nn)". It would be helpful if the images would be listed with their original names plus a suffix like: <name of image_conv>. This name could be used also when saving it as .jpg.

• There are three rulers offered to modify the image. It would be helpful to be able to restore the original setting of each ruler (double-click?).

• If looking at a converted image It would be comfortable to be able to flic and choose the next image.

These I just a few ideas and as said I'm looking forward to the next update.

For me PhotoRaw put the iPad into the function I had in mind from the beginning: being able to hold and show my RAW images on travel.

Thanks and best

Holger

Holger,

I'm glad you're one of those that don't have the bug(!)

The next version, which should come out in a few days, has the ability to "batch import" - you will be able to chose multiple files from a single dialog.

Likewise the "move and scale" thing goes away in the next version. Agree it's confusing - it was an attempt to get image import from the photo library working reliably. Sadly, an attempt that didn't work.

Unfortunately, the speed of import will stay what it is; given the combination of the CPU speed and the available RAM, what there is now is about it. Given the size of RAM that a desktop system has, the demosaicing algorithm could be made more efficient, but on current hardware, well, what you see is what you get.

Also unfortunately, the naming will not change. Believe it or not, the iPhone/iPad Photo library does not allow you to find out what the filename is(!) - Apple's expectation is that users just look at the thumbnail.

On the user interface, I'm looking at various options for future releases. Certainly, a way to change images without going back to the main screen is one of them. The problem is to find a way to do so that doesn't interfere with the pan and zoom operation.

On the rotated files, that's surprising - could you send me one of those files, perhaps via YouSendIt?

Regards,

Sandy

I wrote under a different thread about PhotoRaw that it did not process Nikon's RAW (NEF), and I want to admit here that I was passing on a criticism by someone else who might have been just wrong or impatient. That was wrong on my part. I should have tested a NEF myself.

But it sure does work with DNG, and it is a breakthrough program for the iPad. Given that it is only the first version, I'm impressed and grateful.

I hope the author reaps the well deserved rewards.

(I quit real programming when C++ was introduced, but I was an ace assembler and C programmer. I'd cut inline code to open bottlenecks and it was gratifying. I don't suppose programming for the iPad has such options today otherwise I'd be at it in a heartbeat.)

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

(I quit real programming when C++ was introduced, but I was an ace assembler and C programmer. I'd cut inline code to open bottlenecks and it was gratifying. I don't suppose programming for the iPad has such options today otherwise I'd be at it in a heartbeat.)

iPhone and iPad are all Objective C/Cocoa - a relative of C++, created at Next back in the day.

Sandy

I just downloaded the new version. (v1.1.0). I was able to import two images, one at a time. If I tried two the application would crash, if I tried to import a dozen, my iPad would crash. However all the functions work, and the images look great. I wonder how it would work with the photo kit?

Thanks for the app, now I can use my iPad for what I bought it for!

P.S. What does location services have to do with security? I could not import with out it enabled. I don't think the M9 has GPS.

I just downloaded the new version. (v1.1.0). I was able to import two images, one at a time. If I tried two the application would crash, if I tried to import a dozen, my iPad would crash. However all the functions work, and the images look great. I wonder how it would work with the photo kit?

Thanks for the app, now I can use my iPad for what I bought it for!

P.S. What does location services have to do with security? I could not import with out it enabled. I don't think the M9 has GPS.

The multiple image thing sounds like a low memory problem - memory is a problem on iPads, I'm afraid. I'd suggest try some of the remedies on this page: Managing Memory - iPhotoRaw

Location services and security - really, I wish I knew why Apple did that. It's just totally confusing, and impossible to explain to users.

PhotoRaw will work with the Camera Connection Kit. However, there's a "But", which is that you first have to import into the iPad Photo Album, and then import from there into PhotoRaw. Another Apple security restriction.

Regards,

Sandy

I restarted my iPad, and was able to import two images, so a memory problem is indicated. I downloaded an application to monitor memory. To bad I cannot get to your memory page, but it fails to open.

So to edit a document on the iPad you need two copies... ok, maybe it's safer that way.

Finally came around to try the app - looks good to me:

- shot 4 tests on my M8

- took out the SD card

- put the SD into the card connector and then to my iPad

- imported the files

- opened the files in PhotoRaw without problems (takes about 20 seconds each)

For me, it seems to be good enough to check some shots sharpness and detail, better than the camera's LCD anyway.

Dirk

• Like 1

Today I downloaded the update which fixes some bugs. It remains very slow compared to PiRAWnha which gives equally nice results and has more possibilities to postprocess and I would say that this is the least what you expect from such a program, same price as PhotoRaw

Cool. I'll have to try it out.

FYI, no promises, but I'm probably going to introduce a (very restricted) "Lite" version. If Apple will allow it; they don't like anything other than full paid versions of apps much at all.

But if you just want to to try, you might want to wait and see whether than happens.

Sandy

• Like 1