MP: Light leak?

carvinganish

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys,

I've had a white spot on 3 frames out of the last 2 rolls that I've shot with my MP. It appears in the bottom left corner of the frame.

I was wondering if you could help me diagnose the problem.

FYI I processed the 2 rolls separately. This is trix pushed 2 stops in d76 (stock). I doubt it is a processing issue.

I am attaching the 3 pictures here, so you can have a look.

Thanks!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Dwight,

The brightness of the spot seems to be quite uniform in the three photos. Do you remember what shutter speeds were used?

I would diagnose this as posibly a reflection of something between the rear of the lens and the shutter.

Jan

Jan, you might be on to something.

I just looked and there is indeed a tiny bit of gunk right at the edge of the rear surface of the lens.

I will clean it off and update as soon as I put a roll through. I will be really impressed if your diagnosis is accurate!

I really hope that this solves the problem.. shipping the camera for repair is not something that excites me too much..

Cheers.

After seeing a picture of your negs, I went home and looked at some of my own because I recall seeing something of that shape on my own negs. To my surprise, it was the same shape more or less and in the same area of the negative. It's random and hasn't appeared on all the frames, but I'm seeing what appears to be a leak in several of them and am afraid it might get worse. If anyone knows what the cause of this is, please let me know.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jan,

Seems like the dirt on the back glass was not the problem. After cleaning it off, I shot another roll in the same locations, and got the same depressing bright mark in the corner.

I think the problem is in a light seal (a thin strip of material running along the top edge of the shutter opening), that leaks when there is a strong light coming across the frame from the right.

I was unable to see the light leak with a torch in a dark room - but there seems to be some uneveness in the strip of material at the top left corner.

My theory is that shooting with the lens hood on will alleviate the problem - so I am going to test that out, but either way I think the camera will be on its way to Leica NJ soon.

Thanks for yr responses guys.. Cheers.

........My theory is that shooting with the lens hood on will alleviate the problem - so I am going to test that out, but either way I think the camera will be on its way to Leica NJ soon.

Thanks for yr responses guys.. Cheers.

Dwight,

Sorry it did not work out. From the position of the mark, I would also assume that there is something amiss at the top of the shutter crate. I don't believe however, that using a lens shade will fix an internal leak/reflection.

Good luck,

Jan

In had the same problem on roughly the same spot! I sent it in to a repair centre and was told that it was light coming in thru the viewfinder. But whatever it is, it will need to be serviced, so who cares in the end what it was as long as it is fixed.

Just an update for those interested..

I went to Leica NJ this morning, and showed the camera to a tech. He saw the pictures, and said it was an internal light leak and he would have to replace some seals.

Seemed to know exactly what the issue was, and said the problem could not be seen without opening up the camera.

Said that I should expect the camera to be ready by Tuesday.

Thanks to everyone who replied.. hope that my next roll will be leak-free!

Cheers.