Thanks to Leica Mayfair

pgk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another good experience. I live a long way from London and can only visit occasionally. I have corresponded with Leica (Germany) as one of my M9s had some spots which might have suggested that the sensor may have been affected by the corrosion issue, and as I was visiting London they suggested that I called into Leica Mayfair to get it checked out. So I did, yesterday. The M9 had its sensor cleaned and was duly checked and found to be fine with no sensor issues and my second body was also requested and given a sensor clean although I did not request this and it was simply offered as I had both bodies with me. Shutter actuations were checked (29k and 16k) and a good deal of information given regarding the cameras and the corrosion problem which was both interesting and reassuring.

I then popped over the road and looked at an SL (I was intrigued - nicer machine than anticipated and I could see using one although not at the moment) and the waterproof X camera (also nice, very light but still too expensive!).

The chap who showed me the SL evidently shoots dSLRs himself too and was clearly enthusiastic about the SL as a camera and only too happy to put an M lens and adapter on it for me too see and handle. In fact everyone I met there was pleasant, helpful and my experience was good. If this is how Leica intend to operate then I think that they are on the right track.

This is my entire experience at the Leica store in Zurich. Ivo Crivelli and Stefaan Bezuidenhout make a great team. It is a pleasure going to that store and being informed and test stuff out before contemplating purchase,

• 4 weeks later...

The Leica Store Mayfair doesn't sweat the small stuff: focuses on getting you sorted.  You are, of course, paying for this service in the initial price, but you get what you pay for. Shame that the tech centre across the road is no longer open on a Saturday. 

I feel like Leica is making a concerted effort to improve their customer experience via their stores. It's nice to see other having the same positive experiences I've had with the Leica Store in LA. They even loaned me a battery from one of their demo cameras on a weekend that I had a big shoot coming up and needed to buy and extra battery (they were sold out). Can't say enough good things about the peeps at Leica Store LA (have also had great experiences with Leica Store SF and Camera West).