New Lightroom configurations announced

Jeff S

I've just installed Lightroom Classic.

There are clearly big changes - it needs to create a new catalogue and copies all your images across. It didn't take long and there were no problems. I did a search for missing images and identified only three which were missing before.

It does appear to meet its promise of being much faster in rendering, previewing and moving between images. If it keeps it up I'll be impressed.

I have not yet tried the new masking tools.

I've just installed Lightroom Classic.

There are clearly big changes - it needs to create a new catalogue and copies all your images across. It didn't take long and there were no problems. I did a search for missing images and identified only three which were missing before.

It does appear to meet its promise of being much faster in rendering, previewing and moving between images. If it keeps it up I'll be impressed.

I have not yet tried the new masking tools.

I am finding that the copy and import function with Lightroom Classic now goes very slowly. There does not appear to be anything wrong with my cards or card reader. Has anyone else had this problem? I presume that Adobe, like Apple, Google etc, wants to sell us 'cloud real estate' and that Classic will eventually be replaced by the cloud version which has just popped up on Adobe Creative Cloud alongside 'Classic'. I am using an iMac (no uploading of images to the cloud) and the images are from an M10. I am also finding that the old Nik products like Silver Efex, which I have embedded in Lightroom, are slowing down. I seem to recall somebody saying on this forum that such products would eventually become incompatible with Lightroom.

Maybe there is something wrong with my iMac, but the Lightroom system has certainly got much worse over the past two weeks.

William

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am finding that the copy and import function with Lightroom Classic now goes very slowly. There does not appear to be anything wrong with my cards or card reader. Has anyone else had this problem? I presume that Adobe, like Apple, Google etc, wants to sell us 'cloud real estate' and that Classic will eventually be replaced by the cloud version which has just popped up on Adobe Creative Cloud alongside 'Classic'. I am using an iMac (no uploading of images to the cloud) and the images are from an M10. I am also finding that the old Nik products like Silver Efex, which I have embedded in Lightroom, are slowing down. I seem to recall somebody saying on this forum that such products would eventually become incompatible with Lightroom.

Maybe there is something wrong with my iMac, but the Lightroom system has certainly got much worse over the past two weeks.

William

Lightroom Classic is new. It hasn't been available until now. One needs to go through an installation...

https://photofocus.com/2017/10/18/read-this-before-updating-your-lightroom-catalog/

The naming is now confusing. Here's one explanation, with new plan options...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.engadget.com/amp/2017/10/18/adobe-max-lightroom-cc-cloud-1tb/

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I know that. I did the installation yesterday. I think that my current problems are to do with a full drive. Apple, Google and Adobe etc want us to use the cloud as a new 'revenue stream, however. That has been obvious for some time now.

Stand alone computing and applications will soon become a thing of the past.

William

William

If your setup was running slow before installing Leica Classic then the latter is unlikely to be the cause. I have a small number of images to import today, so I'll check.

I have certainly found LR getting irritatingly slow since the last couple of updates, and before that they had the RAM management problem - I hope they've got it right this time. Their marketing blurb suggests they realise that speed is a big credibility issue for them.

I know that. I did the installation yesterday. I think that my current problems are to do with a full drive. Apple, Google and Adobe etc want us to use the cloud as a new 'revenue stream, however. That has been obvious for some time now.

It may happen, but I don't think it will happen soon. I have around 1.25 TB of images in Lightroom, there's no way I'm going to be able upload that to a server at reasonable cost.

I do see the advantage of server storage - I use Dropbox for small files - but the cost for storing a substantial amount of data is still too high for me.

• Like 2

Had you known what was coming? All that’s come is a new iPad like desktop app to work on cloud stored photos. For the rest, no change. Stand alone version of Lightroom has been frozen for a long time.

No, the standalone version has been supported with fixes, minor updates and new camera/ lens compatibility. That will stop at the end of the year.

There are instead 2 new plans, which will cost substantially more than the current photography subscription. And the interface for LR CC is changing, eliminating or changing various tools. Only LR Classic will retain the current tools and workflow.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I agree with you Jeff, these moves are purely economy-driven, and have no advantages for the end-user.

A lot of people seem to think that CC is either 'practical' for them, because of the off-site storage (which hasn't been a mandatory part of the package, in any case) or because they consider the price is lower than the old system of actually buying software, instead of renting it. 

The problems are twofold: when Adobe consider the market is adequately locked-in to begin raising their prices, and when the end-user finds that an enormous amount of proprietary transforms mean they can't easily export their workflow to a competing product.

If nothing else, I'm getting really tired of all the monthly charges I'm already paying for different services that I used to get for a single, one-off or (at worst) yearly payment. At least then I could have some control over my future costs.

My LR from leica copy, whose version is 6.12, should i upgrade to LR classic, will it lose its standalone license and converted to monthly subscription?

Instagram @jakontil

You can keep your standalone version.... that's what a so-called 'perpetual' license means.... but it won't be supported with updates or fixes after 2017.

If you want to move to a subscription plan, you have to choose one, pay for it and install it.

Read my links, and other available info, to better understand the plan options.

Jeff

• Like 1

You can keep your standalone version.... that's what a so-called 'perpetual' license means.... but it won't be supported with updates or fixes after 2017.

If you want to move to a subscription plan, you have to choose one, pay for it and install it.

Read my links, and other available info, to better understand the plan options.

Jeff

Thanks for the reply Jeff, and yes i have read the link and understood it

But what i as of now, there seems an update available in my adobe tab, should i proceed?

I’m not moving into subscription anytime soon and like to retain the standalone ones

I mean, is it safe to update the version of my LR6? I dont want to be automatically switched to LR Classic subscription mode

Instagram @jakontil

William

Cynicism often masquerades as wisdom, as I think it does with folks who pooh-pooh cloud-based products. As an Adobe customer since 1996 or so, I can say I have been much happier since they moved to their subscription-based offerings. Understanding why requires understanding the way Adobe thought and operated prior their focus on subscription billing.

Previously, Adobe was on an 18-24 month product refresh cycle. Every year and a half or so they would trot out a bunch of new features in all of their products. The goal was to convince enterprise purchasing managers to purchase the new release. Adobe would therefore lard the product with a bunch of buzzword-driven garbage features that made the upgrade appear worthwhile—to accountants.

For ten years, Adobe Illustrator—the app of theirs I was at the time most intimate with—suffered the addition of myriad pointless web graphic and animation and so forth features, while the core drawing capabilities and general reliability of the program diminished. The need to give something to everyone, app-wise, led Adobe to basically put a miniature version of Photoshop into Illustrator—and vice versa. All in the name of getting those enterprise buyers to upgrade.

The situation since the transition has been better by leaps and bounds. Anyone who wants to return to the bad old days does not remember the bad old days. Do we pay more? No, not if you actually upgraded with each new version. But what we seem to be getting are more focused tools that work better, as a result of what appears to be a renewed focus on the needs of the craftsperson using the tools.

If you’re feeling a little light in the wallet after shelling out for your Leica gear or film processing or whatever, consider enrolling for a course or two at the local community college and then get a student subscription to Creative Cloud. Or just be a sucker like me and write off the monthly expense of a CC subscription ($40? for CC, $15? for photos) as the cost of taking your photography seriously. Or you could try Snapseed, which I checked out for a friend the other day: it’s surprisingly good and integrates better with the iOS camera roll.

Edwin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Cynicism often masquerades as wisdom, as I think it does with folks who pooh-pooh cloud-based products. As an Adobe customer since 1996 or so, I can say I have been much happier since they moved to their subscription-based offerings. Understanding why requires understanding the way Adobe thought and operated prior their focus on subscription billing.

Previously, Adobe was on an 18-24 month product refresh cycle. Every year and a half or so they would trot out a bunch of new features in all of their products. The goal was to convince enterprise purchasing managers to purchase the new release. Adobe would therefore lard the product with a bunch of buzzword-driven garbage features that made the upgrade appear worthwhile—to accountants.

For ten years, Adobe Illustrator—the app of theirs I was at the time most intimate with—suffered the addition of myriad pointless web graphic and animation and so forth features, while the core drawing capabilities and general reliability of the program diminished. The need to give something to everyone, app-wise, led Adobe to basically put a miniature version of Photoshop into Illustrator—and vice versa. All in the name of getting those enterprise buyers to upgrade.

The situation since the transition has been better by leaps and bounds. Anyone who wants to return to the bad old days does not remember the bad old days. Do we pay more? No, not if you actually upgraded with each new version. But what we seem to be getting are more focused tools that work better, as a result of what appears to be a renewed focus on the needs of the craftsperson using the tools.

If you’re feeling a little light in the wallet after shelling out for your Leica gear or film processing or whatever, consider enrolling for a course or two at the local community college and then get a student subscription to Creative Cloud. Or just be a sucker like me and write off the monthly expense of a CC subscription ($40? for CC, $15? for photos) as the cost of taking your photography seriously. Or you could try Snapseed, which I checked out for a friend the other day: it’s surprisingly good and integrates better with the iOS camera roll.

Edwin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're writing about permanent vs subscription licences, not local vs cloud. I'm happy with a subscription licence, but I don't want to upload my images to Adobe's cloud.