kalifornier

Black and White Image Thread

Speaking of underexposed shots... a view from South Boulder Peak, CO

A technically inferior photo... which I still like. (underexposed, with a not-really-necessary yellow filter in place, developed in Rodinal).The dramatic clouds, the lighting behind the clouds, and the dark, silhouetted hills work for me.

IIIb / Elmar 50 3.5 / Arista Ultra EDU 100

James

I posted this photo in the In the M10 image thread writing, "Kill me, but I like this picture. (Chiang Mai, wash stand at entrance to a to the grounds of a large, private pavilion that is 50m away on a small lake.)"

Actually, earlier in this thread I posted a not particularly successful image (of a lamp) that I said indicated the direction that I wanted to go in. Now, that I've completed the layout for my What's in Haiku book project, I'm thinking about a new photo project: perhaps the direction indicated by this image could be a part of what I want — influenced somewhat by Portuguese photographer Paulo Nozolino. If you're interested in my book project I have a LUF thread called, Photobook Publishing and its Discontents, which you can pick up reading here, in mid-thread.

M10 | DR Summicron 50 | ISO 200 | f/2 | 1/750 sec

Sometimes I get an impression that some landscape shots are disguised lens tests. That's what I thought about when I processed this one. So, is this anything but a lens test? The lens is one of my favorites, the DR Summicron. (Of course, the resolution looks much higher in Lightroom than in this compressed JPG.) There is a color version of this shot here.

M10 | DR Summicron 50 | ISO 200 | f/11 | 1/250 sec | Chiang Mai

Edited by Nowhereman

Yesterday, I was trying out the Nikon Z7 at a Big Camera store in Chiang Mai, the largest Thai camera store chain. While I was doing that the two salesmen asked to try out my M10. When I got it back, this little Valentine's Day procession was walking by — never mid that there's a sign for Christmas in the background. I didn't know that they had changed the settings on my camera, so that, when I used the meter to set the shutter speed, I didn't realize that I was setting it as slow as 1/45 sec. It was lucky that the aperture was at f/11, or nothing would have been in focus. When post-processing, I took the opportunity to play with the colors. I had in mind the work of the fashion duo of "Ioulex", who use Leica-M film cameras. You can see their work on this website: click on "Portfolio" and you can flip through the images with your arrow-key. I like the portraits of Isabell Huppert, both in color and B&W. (You can see the color version of the image below here.)

M10 | Summicron 35v4 | ISO 3200 | f/11 | 1/45 sec

Edited by Nowhereman