M9 high iso

KevinA

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Rick,

Clearly I have offended you, although that wasn't my intention. While you have now gone out of your way to disparage me unnecessarily, I will try to keep to factual responses, as I believe I have done all along. Additionally, I don't believe that the burden is on me to do all of the primary research when the information is readily and widely available on the Internet. Virtually every major camera review site includes color fidelity checking, and publishes their methodology. Such sites include dpreview.com, the site I linked to, the-digital-picture.com and many others. Go to any one of those and look at any review you please. If you don't choose to do so, that doesn't invalidate my comments.Jeff

Alnitak,

Wrong, you clearly haven't offended me, not in the least. But, when you ask someone (me) to go back and re-read "carefully" what you wrote, it is offensive. There is a difference between offending me (which I wasn't) and being offensive...

As for the burden of proof, I'm not the one claiming anything, you are. I simply stated I am jaw dropped by the color of my M9 and I like it better than my 5D2. I really don't care what the tweaky web sites say that try to measure every metric of every piece of photography equipment. I already stated that it wouldn't surprise me if Canon and Nikon are measured to be more accurate. But, on the other hand I don't simply believe out of hand what you say when you are using H2H as a reference. There isn't much science on that page as they don't even state any of the controls, to start with.

And, what I said that I wasn't going to go search out on the internet was perception. I already have a very good understanding of perception and don't feel the need to google. As for your color accuracy sites, it isn't that I already know everything about the color accuracy tests done on the M9, it is that I really don't care enough about what they have to say to go look at them.

And, for the rest of your post, beyond the first paragraph, I honestly didn't read it.

Not offended,

Rick

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jeff, again in your post #99, you repeat what I said, and then say that's what you've been saying all along. No need for anything ad hominem when you are so sloppy about changing your position.

The only thing you lack is a proper weaseling ability. ;)

You might try, say, "You know, you may be right. After carefully going back through your posts, I think we're in essential agreement."

Or perhaps, "After looking back at my posts, I think the problem is that I haven't made myself clear. So you attack what you think are my positions, when actually we agree." :p

Now, a bit off topic since it relates to M8: Do keep in mind that (despite your assurance that Nikon and Canon colors are 'more accurate,' refuted by your Puts citation), some folks have wanted to convert their Nikons to Leica color. See KammaGamma � Articles � Lightroom Preset: Leica M8 Colors with your Nikon. I know, that's what you've been saying all along. :)

Edited by ho_co

Jeff, again in your post #99, you repeat what I said, and then say that's what you've been saying all along. No need for anything ad hominem when you are so sloppy about changing your position.

The only thing you lack is a proper weaseling ability. ;)

You might try, say, "You know, you may be right. After carefully going back through your posts, I think we're in essential agreement."

Or perhaps, "After looking back at my posts, I think the problem is that I haven't made myself clear. So you attack what you think are my positions, when actually we agree." :p

Now, a bit off topic since it relates to M8: Do keep in mind that (despite your assurance that Nikon and Canon colors are 'more accurate,' refuted by your Puts citation), some folks have wanted to convert their Nikons to Leica color. See KammaGamma � Articles � Lightroom Preset: Leica M8 Colors with your Nikon. I know, that's what you've been saying all along. :)

Look, this is getting old. In your post #97, you misquoted me and used your misquote to attack me. I think this proves my point and directly refutes your own point.

Further, you resort here to disparaging me--the very definition of an ad hominem attack. Show me where I have changed my position; I have been quite consistent. Show me where you or someone else has provided some factual evidence to discount what I have presented. Looking back, what I see is attempts to discredit me, or attempts to discredit the methods used by outside providers I link to, but no factual arguments or contradictory facts.

As a matter of interest, the website you linked to has a color analysis of the M8 that has virtually identical results to the one I posted earlier, and has a good article making it clear that Leica takes their own approach to color.

KammaGamma

For some reason that URL keeps hacking off the rest of my post. Here is the remainder of my post above.

I have been quite clear that I like the M9 colors with the exception of skin color, where the shift of the reds to magentas is a real problem with fair-skinned people. Apparently stating that anything is less than perfect on the M9 is reason to be mobbed by many here and a reason for some people to attack. This is too bad, as reasoned discussion of shortcomings can result in improvements. For example, it would be nice if Leica did what virtually every other camera manufacturer is now doing and allowed for the selection of one of several color profiles in camera, each optimized for different things. This should be relatively straightforward, not unlike the current B&W options on the M's. To me this is quite like the film days; I loved Velvia for shooting landcapes and wildflowers, but it wasn't my first choice for portraits. While you can theoretically do this with a raw file, in practice it can be quite difficult depending on the processing pipeline that produces the raw file--something pointed out in that article I just linked above.

Jeff

As the camera or raw converter re-assembles 3 color separated "images," the color is mostly controlled by the camera profiles. (Assuming the sensor's filters do a good job of separating the colors.)

Color Rendition Profiles

One can easily see this in a program such as DXO that lets you scroll through the different "looks" of various cameras. (Unfortunately the M9 isn't one of them and I think DXO should support it.)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by AlanG