M Mount Tilt/Shift - It's time...

tthorne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been happy shooing on the M240 for a long while now, however, when I need tilt/shift, I have been running Canon lenses on the Sony A7R and now A7S as well. I have been thinking that with the EVF capabilities and Live View, it's about time we see an M mount tilt/shift, or at least a shift lens. Would be nice to see something in the 21mm to 24mm range.

Does anyone else feel this way?

• Like 1

if you need a T/S- lens on a M - why do you not adapt a SLR T/S -lens (Canon/Nikon/Schneider) ?

I don´t see the necessity for an original T/S-M-lens. The M rangefinder isn´t realy a favourite system for architecture.

One of the challenges of using at least a Canon EF lens on the M240 is control over the fully electronic aperture (I guess the latest Nikon lenses are similar). Unless someone devises an adapter that is self/externally powered and allows for stopping down lenses, it's necessary to mount the lens on a Canon camera with a depth of field preview button and dismount the lens as the button is depressed to lock the aperture at the desired setting, then transfer it to the M240. At least with the Sony cameras there exist 'smart' adapters with auto-aperture functionality.

A native M solution, in this respect, would be more convenient.

Additionally, a current limitation of the M240 is its center-only live view magnification, which would make judging precise placement of the tilted plane of focus more difficult than it is with cameras that allow moving the magnified view around the image. I suppose this will be addressed by a future camera.

...Does anyone else feel this way?

I don't think we need a special M-Mount Tilt and Shift, because you can simple use any Tilt&Shift with an adapter. I´m using Schneider-Kreuznach with Novoflex Adapters an they are a pleasure for use.

Especially because you don't have the problems with the aperture settings you are having with the Nikon / Canon lenses.

Focuspeaking works quite well for Tilt, for shifting LiveView without will do.

Schneider-Kreuznach on a Leica M

Explaining a Tilt & Shift lens - Kohl Photography - YouTube

• Like 3

if you need a T/S- lens on a M - why do you not adapt a SLR T/S -lens (Canon/Nikon/Schneider) ?

I don´t see the necessity for an original T/S-M-lens. The M rangefinder isn´t realy a favourite system for architecture.

Well, currently I use the canon 24mm TSE L2 on the Sony. Works well. With the MB Smart Adapter III, I had to use flocking material on the innards in order to avoid reflections. Of course, I am pretty happy with the setup, but I would never use the lens on my M because I would not have aperture control. I think it would be great to have a lens I can use on both systems if the need arrises to swap, especially since all of my other lenses are Leica lenses that I swap between the M's and the Sony.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't think we need a special M-Mount Tilt and Shift, because you can simple use any Tilt&Shift with an adapter. I´m using Schneider-Kreuznach with Novoflex Adapters an they are a pleasure for use.

Especially because you don't have the problems with the aperture settings you are having with the Nikon / Canon lenses.

Focuspeaking works quite well for Tilt, for shifting LiveView without will do.

Schneider-Kreuznach on a Leica M

Explaining a Tilt & Shift lens - Kohl Photography - YouTube

The Schneider 28mm could be a really cool option, but I don't see it anywhere. Wish it were a 24mm, but I could make 28mm work just as well.

Additionally, a current limitation of the M240 is its center-only live view magnification, which would make judging precise placement of the tilted plane of focus more difficult than it is with cameras that allow moving the magnified view around the image. I suppose this will be addressed by a future camera.

This is the setback isn't it....

...I'm curious - how would you dial in the necessary corrections with an M? Presumably you need to see exactly what you will be capturing in order to do this.

Using the display and LiveView or the EVF you see exactly what you'll be capturing. So where is the problem ?

• Like 1

Tilt/Shift lenses can easily be adapted to the M; this works quite well. I don’t quite see the demand suggesting Leica should develop an M-mount T/S lens, though. As you couldn’t use the rangefinder anyway there is nothing an M-mount lens could add to what is already available.

Edited by mjh
  • Like 2

Tilt/Shift lenses can easily be adapted to the M; this works quite well. I don’t quite see the demand suggesting Leica should develop an M-mount T/S lens, though. As you couldn’t use the rangefinder anyway there is nothing an M-mount lens could add to what is already available.

I agree about the insufficient demand for a Leica T/S lens which means that it could not be produces and sold at a reasonable profit.

I am using old Nikon 28 and 35mm shift lenses as well as an Olympus 24 shift lens which

was adapted to the Nikon bayonet. All 3 work well enough for me with a Novoflex adapter Nikon to M. I use the 28mm most.

Teddy

PC Nikkor 28mm f/3.5 has aperture control. There are many adapters out there for Nikon F to Leica M. I've just not been thrilled with what I've gotten but that may be user error (in fact I am pretty sure of that). It is a fully manual lens with no auto aperture even on a Nikon.

Using the display and LiveView or the EVF you see exactly what you'll be capturing. So where is the problem ?

...makes sense, K-Photo. And there was never a "problem", just curiosity - I simply have never considered using a tripod in over 30 years of shooting with Ms. For me, it defeats the primary purpose of its design. Thanks.

Nothing except quality/size advantage perhaps?

Nothing except quality/size advantage perhaps?

Maybe if Leica did develop a T/S lens … There is just one T/S lens in Leica’s portfolio right now (for the S) and that is based on a third-party design.