The Leica User Forum Book

bill

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Everyone has their own favourite charity. This is Bill's idea. I think that the decision should remain with Bill, his decision should be final, and I hope that we are all mature enough to embrace that wholeheartedly, regardless of whether the charity chosen is not "our own".

Obviously. A mere suggestion here.

Bill Master, make the call, we'll follow Thee. :D

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Everyone has their own favourite charity. This is Bill's idea. I think that the decision should remain with Bill, his decision should be final, and I hope that we are all mature enough to embrace that wholeheartedly, regardless of whether the charity chosen is not "our own".

you have my vote!

Add one more interested >>party<< please.

As far as the photogear is concerned: shouldn´t one LEICA- content be enough, either body

or lens ? Not a LEICA-SD-card only, that would not be sufficient, IMO.

The choice of photos would be richer this way.

Best

GEORG

georg

Bill has already advised that normal forum rules will apply

Georg, I am trying to keep my "interventions" on this thread to a minimum, but make each as clear as possible - therefore I am adopting a bright red bold underline for any decisions/clarifications/pronouncements to make them stand out. However, I do appreciate that this thread is now over 7 pages long! :D

Great response so far. I have started putting everything on a spreadsheet and I will issue an update, and address some of the other valid points and suggestions that have been made later on today.

Regards.

Bill

Spot On...

I would suggest the money we generate not to give to an "anonymous" big organization but to spend it for a concrete photo-related purpose (like cameras for a/several poor school/s etc., maybe even Leica could help in this case and add some gear like D-Lux 4 etc.)

Why? Photography at an early age can help kids seeing things in a different way, i think that really makes sense and forms their character.

Edited by Rona|d

Right.

Update time.

What a phenomenal response so far! By my reckoning that's 98 "in"s to date. If everyone enters three photos, that would be nearly £3000 raised before we even sell a copy of the book!

Thanks to all who have contributed thoughts and ideas. The process is becoming clearer in my mind now.

Time I think to answer some questions, and develop ideas and timeframes.

Steve (Unsworth), thanks for the idea of editing based on web-sized photos - that will be the way we will work it.

purwoardoko, your suggestion of "user stats" - where people come from, etc - is good, to emphasise the international nature of the forum. If we can do it, we will. So, country of origin will be mandatory information for each submission.

Amund, your suggestion of putting tech data on each photo is a reasonable one. However I think the book should showcase creativity not technology. Therefore technical details are a "nice to have" but not mandatory.

Michael Hiles, you have suggested credits, and real names. I certainly think every photo should be titled and credited with the photographer's identity. I am not going to force real names for display purposes, but I would like to know real names for my own "peace of mind".

Dr No. (Olaf) you have suggested a "historical" section. I do like this idea, but don't want to open the floodgates for model-specific chapters or sub-headings - again, this is about showcasing talent, not equipment. However, I do have a soft spot for the Barnacks so I shall consider this further...

Hel-Stampes you have offered to translate into French, for which my thanks. I do think that it would be in keeping with the international nature of the book to have at least the Foreword in English, German and French. I am open to other suggestions (Italian? Spanish?)

dcoombs (Doug) asked about photos previously shown in the Forum. All photos whether previously shown in the forum or not are welcome as long as they abide by the entry criteria.

bixi (Birgit) queried the 90 day rule. The rule is there to dissuade "seagull" entrants - those who have had no previous connection with the Forum but who join only to get their work in the book. We had some "one-hit wonders" when we did the One Leica Day project. The 90 day qualification requirement is firm. Sorry.

Wilfredo and tollie have suggested other very worthy charities, and I did indeed at first think that more than one may be workable. I have thought about this one long and hard. There are after all a great many worthy causes, both local and international. But, in order not to dilute the effort and the impact of the charitable donation, I think it right that a single charity benefits. I am therefore going to stick with my first instincts and target AICR. It has a personal resonance for me, and frankly, there but by the grace of God go all of us.

Editors and helpers: So far, I have received nine offers of help, including three volunteers for editorial duties. The original concept calls for seven chapters, so I would like to suggest that we have seven editors. Initially, the editors will work as a panel to decide on overall content, then each editor will take responsibility for the sequencing and layout of a single chapter. I think that this is a fair division of labour. I don't particularly want to edit a chapter myself - I think my hands will be full anyway - so if anyone else would like to volunteer to be an editor I'd like to hear from you. Volunteer editor names will be posted on a thread set up for the purpose, and will require a minimum of two seconders to be confirmed "in post".

Donations: Just to be clear (I have had a couple of PMs on the subject) If you enter an image you will be required to donate 10 euros/pounds/dollars. There is a cap of 3 images per person, so that is a maximum outlay of 30, er, things. Entry does not guarantee that your image will be printed in the final book. If your image or images do not make the cut you will not get your donation back - this is for charity, after all.

Timescales. Like the good project manager I once was, I will run this as a "timeboxed" project. So, between now and the end of October I want to have achieved the following:

1. Gained a feel for the level of support/involvement

2. Identified and named helpers and editors

3. Decided on the number of images and format of the final book

4. Decided on the submission process

5. Sorted out the donations process

6. Decided upon and notified the submission and publication timetable

Right, I think that's it for now. Thanks again for all the thoughts and support. The energy here is tremendous, and if we can harness it, and the talent that is here, this will be a project for all to be proud of.

Regards,

Bill