The Leica User Forum Book

bill

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bill only asked for a release for people snapped on private property, right? That is the law in many places, so I am not sure how wise it is to ignore it.

Where is it the law? France perhaps? It is certainly not 'the law' in common law based jurisdictions. Anyone who doubts this needs to point out the case which has set any kind of precedent. The closest in recent years is the Di Lorca case but this has little bearing on the question posed here.

Just an observation, L - Camera Forum rules state:

Prerequisite for placing a photo is that it has been made with Leica equipment and/or has a strong relationship to a Leica subject. For the avoidance of doubt, this includes the use of Leica lenses on third party bodies, Leica lenses on Leica partner cameras (e.g. Panasonic) and the use of third party lenses on Leica bodies. In general, photographs taken without the use of Leica equipment are not permitted.

Additionally, LFI Gallery selects Master Shots where a non-Leica lens has been used.

It would seem that a forum book should offer all forum members the opportunity to submit all photos they have posted here following the forum preresquites.

I'm in and thoroughly good idea it is. If I can help in any way I will be glad to.

Bill's post #60 seems to me the sensible approach to the model release issue.

Re to Leica-in-toto or not, I"m on the fence (ouch!). The points about LFI images and the forum rules is a good one, but as this book is to promote Leica images, then perhaps all Leica gear is in this case best.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think we need to clarify the primary intent of this project first, then it will become clear regarding the Leica gear issue.

If the primary intent is to promote Leica, then I agree with 100% Leica gear only. But then Leica should provide some degree of support...no?

If the primary intent is to promote this forum and it's users, then we should adopt LUF guidelines.

If the primary intent is to support a charity, then I would still adopt LUF guidelines.

Make sense?

Good idea, I am in too.

I do hope this is going to be a book with many photos, as opposed to a mere 20-odd full-page "mastershots". Something you can spend some time with. In fact I hope an effort will be made to include not exclude as many pictures as possible.

Does anyone have any idea how much a copy of the book might cost to buy?

That depends on the number of pages and the size. You can get an idea here...

Book Pricing | Blurb

I've selected the standard landscape size on standard paper. You can click around the screen to see the other options and prices. If it was decided that the book would have 100 pages then it should come in under the 120 page break once introductory text and any index has been added.

The prices don't include VAT or delivery.

I think we need to clarify the primary intent of this project first, then it will become clear regarding the Leica gear issue.

If the primary intent is to promote Leica, then I agree with 100% Leica gear only. But then Leica should provide some degree of support...no?

If the primary intent is to promote this forum and it's users, then we should adopt LUF guidelines.

If the primary intent is to support a charity, then I would still adopt LUF guidelines.

Make sense?

Great idea - I'm in. The all-Leica idea is nothing new - Geoff (Hoppyman) used the same rule for his Leica book, in which a number of forum members participated.

I am also interested. I don´t think any of my photographs will qualify for publication in this book, but I would certainly buy one.

For educational purpose I hope every photograph will have the relevant data attached to it. If and when this project is completed I hope we will be informed on this forum of the when, where and how much.

A great idea

Åmund :D

Where is it the law? France perhaps? It is certainly not 'the law' in common law based jurisdictions. Anyone who doubts this needs to point out the case which has set any kind of precedent. The closest in recent years is the Di Lorca case but this has little bearing on the question posed here.

It is my understanding that the law generally allows photography in public places in most countries, but that as soon as you are on private property, you need explicit permission from the owner of the property, and possibly the subject. This comes under the basic privacy laws. This explicitly includes places like train stations, possibly unless they are nationalized (less and less the case). You can be sued on this basis and people have been. Of course, for us it doesn't mean much, because we are generally not invading places or taking photographs against the will of the subjects, and so we often have the implicit permission of the subject and property-owner, and no one is likely to sue.

I am not a lawyer, but I recall a series of law articles for photographers in ProfiPhoto, which discusses Germany. As far as I know, most continental European countries are similar in law, with Britain being an exception, and being more similar to the States and Canada, at least in theory. France has draconian public photography laws since a few years ago, as I am sure most of us are aware.

If you insist, I could go looking for the specific articles, since I still have the magazines.

In the States, all bets are off. I think you can't even photograph all buildings from public property, which is highly unusual in the world. There was a recent example of some Coca-Cola building in California, IIRC. I think it was the guy who runs "Stuck in Customs" who ran into that one.

I have no idea what the case is in Britain. Britain's laws are pretty weird in places ;) (I speak as a British passport holder, btw.)

Edited by carstenw

It is my understanding that the law generally allows photography in public places in most countries, but that as soon as you are on private property, you need explicit permission from the owner of the property, and possibly the subject. This comes under the basic privacy laws. This explicitly includes places like train stations, possibly unless they are nationalized (less and less the case). You can be sued on this basis and people have been. Of course, for us it doesn't mean much, because we are generally not invading places or taking photographs against the will of the subjects, and so we often have the implicit permission of the subject and property-owner, and no one is likely to sue.

This is why it's a minefield. There ARE no basic privacy laws per se, and certainly nothing that passes for an internationall agreed position on the subject. I am going to stick with what I said above - model releases are at the discretion of the photographer.

Regards,

Bill

Right.

Ruling on the Leica kit issue is as follows, and thanks to Virgil and others for helping to clarify it in my mind.

Since this is a book inspired by, and showcasing the work of the contributors to, the Leica User Forum we will abide by the already-existing Forum rule as follows:

For the avoidance of doubt, this includes the use of Leica lenses on third party bodies, Leica lenses on Leica partner cameras (e.g. Panasonic) and the use of third party lenses on Leica bodies. In general, photographs taken without the use of Leica equipment are not permitted.

Ok?

Regards,

Bill

Fine idea. I'll join.

BTW - I presumre there will be credits, at least as to the photographer. May I suggest that real names be a requirement for inclusion in the book. Maybe someone said this and I missed it.

I've often wondered if there's a yearbook or something.
For the future, this is also a good idea. Edited by Michael Hiles