R9 and Motor Drive

gvaliquette

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am sure that this has been posted before, but a few days ago, I wish I had recently seen (and remembered) such a post.

On vacation, shooting 3-8 rolls/day. After 1 week, the digits of the shutter speed and frame number start flashing at random. I checked the camera carefully, all settings are as usual. Also, sometimes, the shutter speed in the viewfinder did not match that on the shutter speed dial by a 1/2 step, but resets back and match again by setting the shutter speed to "B" and back. Two days later, the Motor Drive ... does not drive anymore. If wound up manually, the R9 shoots normally.

That's when I thought to take the Motor Drive off, then put it back on again. Everything is back to normal again!

I knew that the contacts between the R9 and the Motor Drive were critical. I just never had experienced that problem before and was not aware of the "presenting symptoms".

I hope this can help someone else with an R9 (R8?) and a Motor Drive (Motor Winder?).

Guy

You need to make sure all the contacts are clean, and also that all the contacts in the film cannister bar code reader are clean. I cant quite remember the exact combination of circumstances (of film change on manual set ISO winder attached) but travelling without a Q-tip to clean contacts in film holder side can put a stop to everything as the cameras programe locks it up into an LCD blinking flashing lump of metal hung up somewhere in its start up routine. Mine occurred in the middle of no where with no manuals. I think I could still turn the camera on and off but that was it.

Thanks rob_x2004. I will add Q-tips to my camera bag from now on. I also always carry the R9 battery case with fresh batteries as a backup in case of Motor Drive malfunction or a dead battery, so that I can always fall back to the R9 with thumb drive!

The reason for my post was simply to bring up some wierd "signs and symptoms" that poor contacts between the R9 and the Motor Drive can cause. I was totally baffled at first, wondering if the R9 itself was malfunctioning or what... In the hope that it might be useful to other R9 users.

Guy

First thing I pack. It seemed to me like the camera might have hung up in the start up routine. I dont think attaching the battery grip rather than the winder helped at the time. I was a while trying to get to the bottom of it because I didnt know what was going on, and if I had been at home I would probably have boxed the thing up for service long before I worked it out.

When you know that this sort of thing happens you just get into the habit of cleaning every contact routinely including those up inside the grip and you rarely have a drama. Ive had the camera hang a few times on dusty contacts between the winder too, but the first time with the blinking was a bit of a struggle.

The R9 appears to have pretty robust circuitry, and batteries seem to go on forever, far better than the 6.2, and the MP which I never know when is going to drop out and it only has to support a light meter.