Announcement Published on Leica Website

jwr50

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I take it that I won't need my UV filters for my 4 Leica lenses with the M8 ?

So, Leica give me two IR filters, I buy 2 IR filters and then I sell 4 UV filters on ePay and the net cost approaches $zero ?

Then I need coding for my 24mm, but not for my 35/50/90mm's ?

So grand total is about $100. Can live with that. :p

I can live with all of it, but I wish they would replace my camera rather than fix it -- I do expect it to be gone for a month, if it has to be shipped to Solms. (It can take five days for first-class mail to be delivered from Minneapolis to Los Angeles, much less to Solms.) I understand why they wouldn't, though -- all those repaired cameras would then have to be sold as "refurbished," which would probably eliminate much of the on-going profit...

I do wish we'd gotten the word on the filters earlier, so I could have gotten in line somewhere. I'm going to need eight of them, unless the 30% lens reduction offer comes through; then I'll need nine.

One of the reasons this whole thing has been handled badly, I think, is that Leica is essentially a small company with great abilities in mechanics and optics, but not so much in either marketing or electronics. I suspect the size of this launch troubled them, and may have been somewhat beyond their abilities.

For example, as far as I know, they are still not coding lenses in the U.S., although coding is now more-or-less mandatory. Having the lenses coded while the camera is off for repairs would be the best solution for me -- but there hasn't even been a hint of when this service might be available in the U.S.

JC

I am more concerned with the way Leica is handling professionals who need the camera for work, there really should be a hot swap program- this is very common in mission critical businesses. Leica needs to institute this as a basic courtesy to the customers who work with these cameras.

I sorry but I have a problem with being treated differently as I am not a "working pro"

As far as I know I paid the same for my camera as "working pro" and I expect to be treated the same.

To do otherwise will definately increase the chances of a C A.

No offense to "working pros" but I do not accept being treated any different

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I take it that I won't need my UV filters for my 4 Leica lenses with the M8 ?

So' date=' Leica give me two IR filters, I buy 2 IR filters and then I sell 4 UV filters on ePay and the net cost approaches $zero ?

Then I need coding for my 24mm, but not for my 35/50/90mm's ?

So grand total is about $100. Can live with that. :p[/quote']

Couldn't agree more - all I have to do is to wait for mine to come through. I'd hoped for beginning December, but it now feels more like the New Year. Heigh ho - the French say "l'appétit fait la meilleur sauce". I guess I'm hungry.

Chris

I agree with your statement, I was just qualifying the need for a hot swap.

I agree with you....

The more I read here the more I agree with the sentiment that a full replacement is more the right thing to do, a hot swap would be a second alternative - they should just replace the camera in the field - simple as that.

As a previous poster has pointed-out - we are being singled-out for being early adopters we rightfully had a full expectation that out of the box we had a long term working camera. I also agree with the sentiment that the replacement should apply to all pre November 27 purchasers of the M8 - no exceptions - I was not asked if I was a pro or amateur - just for my credit card... so how you use the M8 should not be factor.

I like the camera that much that I don't want to be without it - for what will likely be a month.

Thank you for reading...now we shall be quiet and wait and see how LEICA treats us in the end.... They have a good deal to loose in the process.

Kind Regards. Terry.

No idea at all what you are talking about. Help me out, someone.

Mark

I think they are talking about a class action, which is one of the more blunt-instrument manifestations of the 'compensation culture' which has taken over in the USA (and, unfortunately, is increasingly common in UK)

so, let me get this straight.

even with this 'upgraded' M8, there's still problem with IR contamination so

we do need IR filter for every lens we use?

*sigh*

why solm just go ahead and put IR filter inside the camera? wouldn't it be better

than just offering these 'giving away free stuff' ? will it make the image that much softer?

is that what they're afraid of?

I was very close to purchase M8, but I just don't get this fiasco over IR issue and

leica's rather 'un-leica' like solution to the problem with their very very expensive

camera.

now I have to find IR filter for all the wonderful exotic lenses in the past with weird filter

sizes right? *sigh*

should I wait for M9? (or whatever their next digital M is)

ok - i'm not even gonna bother with the flameproof suit, cuz you guys are gonna be using WMDs, but here goes whatever...

Am i to understand that all the 'early-adopters' (that is, guys who were ahead in the queue) and who've been gloating and boasting about how they have the camera and how GREAT it actually is, and encouraging everyone to jump right in because they wouldn't regret it, and calling anyone who urged caution or a wait-and-see approach whiners - these guys are now hopping mad because Leica are not gonna give them a brand new camera - like straight away NOW ?

And the pros wanna be ahead of the ordinary joes, of course.

Did i get that about right?

well look at it this way

if thicker glass on the sensor tends to soften the image

which is the prime contention with using filters (among slightly more bizare theories here)

and you would have seen Guy's images with the filters

better the devil you know

Riley

Maybe you should read some of the several threads on the subject. This way, your first post would not be questions already answered many times.

mr. pascal meheut,

yes I did, I was just complaining some of the issues that I didn't like in the form

of question. I wasn't really expecting any 'yes/no' answers.. if it looked that way,

sorry about it.

Jin

I really wish for once a company could dispense with the PR BS and tell it like it is.

Statements like - "Nevertheless, in some fairly rare situations, some annoying effects may occasionally occur. Even though these artifacts neither happen often nor to everyone we want to eliminate the effects by providing the following solution." -drive me nuts

Maybe I am unluck but there nothing "fairly rare" about my purple casts. They happen consistently to blacks in 90 + percent of my indoor tungsten lit shots. Not what I would call "fairly rare" I also would not describe it as 'slight magenta offset" it's bloody purple!

The announcement is (in my view) vague and incomplete.

I agree with many posters that our defective cameras should be replaced. Come on LEICA your customers should not be inconvenienced and out of pocket because your product is not satisfactory!

Burn away!

You apparently don't have an M8.

in my imagination Chet you be talking about me

no i dont own an M8, doesnt mean i dont want one, i just dont need a rangefinder in my life for the work i do

but it also means while im compasionate for M8 owners, im coldly unemotional about the use of filters for the results we have seen, because i see the results as more important than the inconvenience and the additional unexpected expence, probably averaging 10% of purchase

i grant you the downtime is more than a pain, and very difficult if the M8 is your only camera and you have to work. but in my experience working photographers have a backup camera

the rest of it is pretty childish hoo ha

Riley

"Even though these artifacts neither happen often nor to everyone we want to eliminate the effects by providing the following solution. "

This statement is 100% BS. I have yet to either take a picture or see a picture that does not have a problem with the IR, and a color cast. It still suggests these guys have not come to the reality they knowingly sold product they knew was defective.

As I posted on a thread the other day, I'm really impressed with the sharpness and the depth of the images I have made. But..... I'm not willing to pay $8K for a camera and a lens combination that is for a product that will at best be a compromised camera.

While I thank my dealer for the loan, It will go back today and I will cancel my order.

The 8K will be better spent purchasing a few primes for my D2X, which I hope will give a little more sharpness and depth over my pro zooms.

I do think the solution is the only choice for current owners, but you might be crazy to purchase a new one.

And, I still can't figure out what the blanks are in an earlier post.

DBK