Ilford HP-5 Plus 400; what was better?

thomasw_

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I like the results I get with Ilford HP-5 Plus 400 and my M5 + 50mm summicron. But being a relatively young chap at 41, I was wondering if there was a more beautiful film from back in film's hay-days that is no longer in production. For strictly historical interest, what were the films that were perhaps even preferable to you?

Sincerely,

Thomas W.

You look older than 41 in your avatar ;-)

I liked some of the Agfa films and loved their black and white papers. I understand the films are being made again under a different brand.

I did try Kodak Technical Pan a couple of times. I believe this was supposed to have the finest grain of any film. I remember it was a very fussy film to expose and process.

Now I use XP2 for its conveniance.

I like the results I get with Ilford HP-5 Plus 400 and my M5 + 50mm summicron. But being a relatively young chap at 41, I was wondering if there was a more beautiful film from back in film's hay-days that is no longer in production. For strictly historical interest, what were the films that were perhaps even preferable to you?

Sincerely,

Thomas W.

There is no such thing as "more beautiful film". There are only more beautiful pictures, with film being only a small part of a workflow that has to be fully understood and optimized in respect of the results that you want to achieve.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I combination I remember most fondly was my M3, Adox KB14 film and FR X-22 developer. I have now scanned some of those old Adox negatives with an Imacon 343 and have had printed beautiful 16x24 prints.

If you look for new ADOX films try this adress:

Fotoimpex Berlin - alles für die analoge Fotografie

Best regards

Michael

OK, it may say ADOX on the outside of the new boxes, but it is what is inside the cassette that counts. It is certainly nothing close to old ADOX inside the new boxes. I have not scanned my old negatives, but I have recently enlarged some of them and they beat new ADOX on every count and by several horselengths.