Small Bag Advice

johntobias

How do you get that lot in the "airline'? From the size on the Billingham website its a quart into a pint pot.

Also, with the Hardley Pro - same applies because of the M8 height. Any chance of a pic showing your gear in these two?

No pic sorry - can't find my flash :(

However, the reason you can fit larger items than you think into the hadley is because it's not rigid. There is a lot of flex in the bag and it easily accommodates the M8 without really even looking stretched.

Fitting the kit into the airline is quite a squeeze, and usually I only take two lenses (one on the camera) and put spare batteries in beside the unmounted lens. Again, they fit because the bag can deform to accept the camera.

Ideal for me would be having the camera always available and quickly accessible. Hans Hockx came up with a belt pouch design he called BAG1 that is perfect for the minimalist Leica photographer: when you don't want extra gear except perhaps a spare battery, lens cloth, an SD card or two. His pouch would be great for the few moments in a day when you don't want the camera around your neck or in your hand, or being splashed with soup on the restaurant table.

Pity the BAG1 concept never went to production. See it here:

http://www.hanshockx.nl/images/bag1leaflet.pdf

... the reason you can fit larger items than you think into the hadley is because it's not rigid. There is a lot of flex in the bag and it easily accommodates the M8 without really even looking stretched. ...

I would second this. The Billingham has a nice trade-off between rigidity and flexibility -- it moulds to the contents and moulds its shape to your body as you walk around with it. This makes it very comfortable.

FWIW I wanted a small bag for a long time, but eventually went with a Billingham classic because the extra space is useful for bits and pieces -- sunglasses, phone, maps, and so on. I usually only take the M8 + 1 additional lens. The Billingham looks more like a courier bag to the casual observer, esp. once it has had a few scuff marks added.

Beautifully made, BTW, but not obviously expensive.

Cheers

Robert

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No pic sorry - can't find my flash :(

However, the reason you can fit larger items than you think into the hadley is because it's not rigid. There is a lot of flex in the bag and it easily accommodates the M8 without really even looking stretched.

Fitting the kit into the airline is quite a squeeze, and usually I only take two lenses (one on the camera) and put spare batteries in beside the unmounted lens. Again, they fit because the bag can deform to accept the camera.

Flash....... Leica.......... Heresy! We just shoot natural or available light we do :)

So the Hadleys are back on the agenda then! Thanks.

Flash....... Leica.......... Heresy! We just shoot natural or available light we do :)

So the Hadleys are back on the agenda then! Thanks.

yeah - I like the pro for a few reasons:

I can fit my 13" laptop in it between the back of the bag and the insert, so I use it for a daily work bag.

It has a handle on top, which makes it much more convenient to pick up and move around.

It allows accessory pouches to be mounted on the ends, which can be useful if you want to overload it as an airline carry-on. However what I'd really like is water bottle and umbrella kind of pouches - which Billingham don't make.

You can remove the insert and put it inside almost any A4 sized satchel bag. I have a rip-off Diesel one I bought in Thailand, which is great for when I really don't want to look like I might be carrying expensive stuff.

I have the Hadley small, and for me it's not so great - too small for a day bag, but too big as a "I'm going to a party where I don't want to put my camera down" bag - which the Airport bag handles very well.

I use a Billingham "Airline Stowaway Bag" to hold the M8 with lens mounted and two other lenses. This is far and away my preferred small bag.

Very intrigued by how this all fits...the airline stowaway is gorgeous but any chance of a quick and dirty snap to show us how it fits......thanks

Very intrigued by how this all fits...the airline stowaway is gorgeous but any chance of a quick and dirty snap to show us how it fits......thanks

I'll try to do one on the weekend, will be with the M7 in the bag as the M8 is my only digital camera ;)

i bought an artisan artist bag and i find its a really great compact bag which will fit what need for shoots, as you can see in the photo.

Great bag, and they do two sizes - one takes one body the other takes two plus a few lenses but I was worried about the zipper damaging the camera (especially) when getting it in and out. How do you find it?

I have one of these as well (Penn's Pad & Pencil Satchel: http://www.artisanandartist.com/bags/acam3000.htm) and I take it just about everywhere. Best camera bag I've ever owned. Zippers are plastic (but well made) so I've never had an issue with scratching. Perfect size. Love the strap and feel of this bag. 'Nuff said.

Thanks,

Will

Thanks ian, congrats on the 75 'cron, a jewel of a lens....I used my 90 'cron with the M2 I just sold so thinking I might move it on and get a 75 as 90 is a wee bit tight on the M8

really fancy a 75 'lux but got the wrong 6 numbers last sat night!....I hear the summarit is pretty good at 75mm, if its as good as my 50 I'd be well chuffed.

thanks for your advice...hadley is indeed under consideration, why is the 'leica' billingham so much more expensive......is it just that wee 'billingham for leica' tag or am I being cynical! ;-)

John, the 75mm Summarit is superb and a quick search will reveal members' enthusiasm for it.

Leica sell a special 'Billingham' bag for the digital M. I think it's the same one as was supplied with the 'Safari' M8. Could be worth a thought perhaps. (15854 in black, or 15855 in Khaki) :)Leica Camera AG - Photography - "Billingham" Combination Case

Nicole, some Leica dealers in the UK seem only to stock the full Billingham range. Do you know if the Leica Billingham is a rebadged Handley Pro? If not, which one? I can't think Billingham would make a special limited line unless that accounts for the price premium.

Nicole, some Leica dealers in the UK seem only to stock the full Billingham range. Do you know if the Leica Billingham is a rebadged Handley Pro? If not, which one? I can't think Billingham would make a special limited line unless that accounts for the price premium.

It's the exact same dimensions as the L2 (or Alice) but with a different opening/strap and different inserts. You can argue that the 80% price hike for the 'Leica' version is worth it or otherwise depending on your point of view. I don't believe there is an 'exact' non Leica version and it definitely nothing like a Hadley Pro, quite a bit larger, different inserts and no handle.

It's not a rebadged Hadley Pro, the pro is larger, has two front pockets and a carry handle on the flap. It looks like a rebadged "Alice" if anything.

Hi David,

I believe that it's a special version made for Leica. Any Leica dealer should be able to order one for you, although I doubt that many would keep them in stock due to the price and limited market.

Hi David,

I believe that it's a special version made for Leica. Any Leica dealer should be able to order one for you, although I doubt that many would keep them in stock due to the price and limited market.

Thanks, Nicole.