Small Bag Advice

johntobias

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Need a small bag for my rationalised kit, had to put my lovely combibag up for sale as my M8 won't fit where the M2 did!

Anyway, I have a small kit and looking for a small bag to keep it all together in.

I have an M8 with 50 Summarit f2.5 with hood and fitted with official Leica grip. and only need room for 2 other lenses, my summicron 90 pre-A/A and my (not yet bought!) elmarit 24 or 28 with hood.....any suggestions....doesn't need to be too robust and prefer an over the shoulder type...? billingham digital hadley big enough, crumpler? etc etc

Its more for travelling and storage than ruffty tuffty stuff, I usually chuck the leica neoprene cover over the camera and stuff the summicron in my pocket (chrome so quite heavy!) but now I've invested in the M8 and a new summarit, I want to baby it a wee bit more

any suggestions?....ps, can't abide the feel of cordura nylon!!

Thanks again and in advance for your wise advice and experience.

(ps, the black combibag is on a certain auction site right now if you fancy it but it WILL NOT fit a thicker digital M.......film only! doh!)

I'm probably going to get a Billingham Hadley small or Hadley Pro. I had a Pro before and found it great. If I could find one to try, I'd like to try an Elliot's day bag though that looks unlikely as the only UK stockist doesn't have any. I just have the m8 and 35 cron but pick up a 75 cron next week. I also want room for one more WA kens.

Oh and some will likely complain about another 'which bad thread' so don't be offended! Also if you do a search you will find several similar threads with loads of ideas.

Leica sell a special 'Billingham' bag for the digital M. I think it's the same one as was supplied with the 'Safari' M8. Could be worth a thought perhaps. (15854 in black, or 15855 in Khaki) :)http://en.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/accessories/cases_and_straps/2201.html

Edited by Nicoleica
Typo

Thanks ian, congrats on the 75 'cron, a jewel of a lens....I used my 90 'cron with the M2 I just sold so thinking I might move it on and get a 75 as 90 is a wee bit tight on the M8

really fancy a 75 'lux but got the wrong 6 numbers last sat night!....I hear the summarit is pretty good at 75mm, if its as good as my 50 I'd be well chuffed.

thanks for your advice...hadley is indeed under consideration, why is the 'leica' billingham so much more expensive......is it just that wee 'billingham for leica' tag or am I being cynical! ;-)

Thanks ian, congrats on the 75 'cron, a jewel of a lens....I used my 90 'cron with the M2 I just sold so thinking I might move it on and get a 75 as 90 is a wee bit tight on the M8

really fancy a 75 'lux but got the wrong 6 numbers last sat night!....I hear the summarit is pretty good at 75mm, if its as good as my 50 I'd be well chuffed.

thanks for your advice...hadley is indeed under consideration, why is the 'leica' billingham so much more expensive......is it just that wee 'billingham for leica' tag or am I being cynical! ;-)

I believe the Summarit is very very good but I still plumped for the cron which I am getting s/h.

I might have been interested in your leather combi. Is it the one on eBay? How obviously 'Leica' is it?

And yes I believe it is the 'tag' ;) as the L2 is very very close to the Combi and way less than half the price but the 'flap' secures differently - and no tag :rolleyes:. I think it may be too big for you though as it turned out for me.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

yes, the one on ebay.......I make you special price !!! ha ha

there is a discreet leica script embossed on the lower L of the front pocket and a small red circle badge on the top as shown, otherwise V plain, embossed on the base is 'made in germany'

will take a film M body with/or without a winder, a big M lens like a 90 or similar and a couple of smaller lenses plus room for film/flash etc, all V compact.

having been looking around the web, the hadley small seems ideal tho might go and try to find a dealer with a hadley digital as it is even more compact....I've 3 M8 batteries so I don't need to lug around that monstrosity of a charger! lol

yes, the one on ebay.......I make you special price !!! ha ha

there is a discreet leica script embossed on the lower L of the front pocket and a small red circle badge on the top as shown, otherwise V plain, embossed on the base is 'made in germany'

will take a film M body with/or without a winder, a big M lens like a 90 or similar and a couple of smaller lenses plus room for film/flash etc, all V compact.

having been looking around the web, the hadley small seems ideal tho might go and try to find a dealer with a hadley digital as it is even more compact....I've 3 M8 batteries so I don't need to lug around that monstrosity of a charger! lol

Yet I looked at the 'digital' as an option but decided it was a bit small. I use LowePro Sliplock 60 AW which is a bit big for the M8 with 35 attached and with no internal padding.

18-2041-IMG1.jpeg

It's not ideal and won't be suitable for keeping another 2 lenses in as well. It to me also screams 'photographer'!

There again, I also have a D2x with a multitude of lenses. I have a huge 'rolling' case with pull up handle that takes it all. I never did find a suitable case for the D2x and 2 or three lenses and I tried bout 20!

Edited by ptarmigan

Know what you mean about bigger stuff, I went through lots of options with my old canon Kit, (F1 & F1n bodies + more glass than a bottle factory) in the end, I threw it all into a billingham 550 but it was so heavy I never took it anywhere!, then came digital canon stuff, 30D etc etc and a crumpler backpack that I could shove my macbook pro into as well did sterling service, now I'm an old (well 46) family man, I look for small and compact solutions, esp as I like to shove it into the front carrier bag of my brompton bike!....reckon the hadley is top of the list right now.

cheers

John

Leica sell a special 'Billingham' bag for the digital M. I think it's the same one as was supplied with the 'Safari' M8. Could be worth a thought perhaps. (15854 in black, or 15855 in Khaki) :)Leica Camera AG - Photography - "Billingham" Combination Case

+1

Great bag for a body with a mounted lens + two other lenses. And you have also a front pouch with zipper for batteries, SD cards, SF-24D flash...

I have three, two khaki and one black.

Thanks for that, Yes, I agree, the billingham leica is a bit too big for my porpoise!

will def. look at the hadley small & dig...cheers everyone!

PS, what a great forum.....hope to contribute more in future!

John

john

you might like the combination of billingham L2 (a.k.a. Alice) and the avea 5 pouch, which clips to the side of the L2 or mounts easily on your belt. L2 alone holds your m8 with lens and 2 additional lenses (more if you mount the smaller ones back to back; avea alone holds 2 lenses, or longer tele or metz 54 type flash, or clip both together for a longer trip??

pm me if you need other photos.

cheers

rick

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks for that, Yes, I agree, the billingham leica is a bit too big for my porpoise!

John

:D But what about your camera? :D

Sorry, I just couldn't resist it. I wish you the best in finding the right bag. :)

John

Ha, might just pee on both our bonfires! M8 body height is around 90mm, width of the Hardleys is 70mm (internal!) so no way will we get an M8 in with it's lens fitted. So looks like the small and pro are out for me! I s'pose I could stow the body without attached lens. :(

Might need to revisit the 'Digital' as it is 135 wide (external - dunno internal measurement but it is 15mm wider than other Hedleys) and so will take an M8 on its side with lens attached but I don't think enough other space for 2 lenses and a light meter! Bugg@!

it was quicker to put some gear in the L2 than to measure the inside dimensions for you. hope this helps ................

• photo shows m8 with mounted summarit 50 1.5 including lens shade, sitting on its side
  • summilux 75 with leicagoodies steer
  • noctilux with steer and lens shade
  • front compartment holds an m3 without lens just for reference.
  • there's also a full width pocket at the rear of the bag, outside the padding, which would hold a pocket book, michelin guide etc.

enjoy your hunt

cheers

rick

This is the way I carry my M8 on the small "Billigham for Leica" bag: One lens on the camera plus two other lenses (one in each side)

I use a Billingham "Airline Stowaway Bag" to hold the M8 with lens mounted and two other lenses. This is far and away my preferred small bag.

The two lenses go in vertically in padded bags, the camera sits on top with the mounted lens resting on top of the taller of the two other lenses. I can fit the camera with 90 f2 or MATE + hood mounted this way. The camera is of course in 'portrait' orientation in order to fit, grip end up.

I also use a Hadley Pro, I can fit two lenses in either end, and either one body with any lens mounted in the central bay (in portrait orientation), or two bodies with normal lenses mounted, sitting in landscape mode one above the other with a large flap horizontally between them. (that's two bodies, six lenses + extras in the pockets).

This is the way I carry my M8 on the small "Billigham for Leica" bag: One lens on the camera plus two other lenses (one in each side)

Is this the Billingham Leica Combination as mentioned above or something else?

I use a Billingham "Airline Stowaway Bag" to hold the M8 with lens mounted and two other lenses. This is far and away my preferred small bag.

The two lenses go in vertically in padded bags, the camera sits on top with the mounted lens resting on top of the taller of the two other lenses. I can fit the camera with 90 f2 or MATE + hood mounted this way. The camera is of course in 'portrait' orientation in order to fit, grip end up.

I also use a Hadley Pro, I can fit two lenses in either end, and either one body with any lens mounted in the central bay (in portrait orientation), or two bodies with normal lenses mounted, sitting in landscape mode one above the other with a large flap horizontally between them. (that's two bodies, six lenses + extras in the pockets).

How do you get that lot in the "airline'? From the size on the Billingham website its a quart into a pint pot.

Also, with the Hardley Pro - same applies because of the M8 height. Any chance of a pic showing your gear in these two?

i bought an artisan artist bag and i find its a really great compact bag which will fit what need for shoots, as you can see in the photo.

3658421852_b75670a744_o.jpg

Great bag, and they do two sizes - one takes one body the other takes two plus a few lenses but I was worried about the zipper damaging the camera (especially) when getting it in and out. How do you find it?