Small Bag Advice

johntobias

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Problem solved, took the opportunity to visit a billingham dealer this morning and tried out a few options, settled on the hadley digital, fits m8 with grip with any lens mounted while also having room to carry another 2 lenses, spare batteries and sd cards

SORTED!

(ian, will send the combicase on sat)

John

Thanks, check in the post so with snail-mail and the strike.............:eek:

Any chance of a piccie of your gear in the new Billingham Hadley Digital? I presume there are no deviders inside so how does it all fit in?

I use a small canvas bag that I picked up on GAP since I don't want to flas a camera bag. I made the inserts myself with HVAC foam insulation bougt at a hardware store. So far so good. I carry my M8.2 with three lenses (24, 50, 90) and a flash and still have space for some oder stuff. The bag dimenssions are 15 x 4 x 10 (L x D x H)

I use a small canvas bag that I picked up on GAP since I don't want to flas a camera bag. I made the inserts myself with HVAC foam insulation bougt at a hardware store. So far so good. I carry my M8.2 with three lenses (24, 50, 90) and a flash and still have space for some oder stuff. The bag dimenssions are 15 x 4 x 10 (L x D x H)

Can you post some pictures of your setup?

I bought a 'small' National Geographic shoulder bag. Have to say; for £40 it is mighty well designed and the quality of materials should mean it holds my limited amount of kit for a good few years.

The main pocket has two dividers and will hold one body with lens, plus two lenses or one lens and the charger and cable. The access flap has a rim zip and the flap can be rolled back velcro'd open for easy access (no chance of damage to camera or lens from zip on this item). The body has a large external pocket for cables or passport and such like, while the main fold-over flap has two easy access pockets for batteries and data cards.

It's worth a look... click on the image to see the small version: National Geographic Explorer Shoulder Gear Bags - National Geographic Store

I bought a 'small' National Geographic shoulder bag. Have to say; for £40 it is mighty well designed and the quality of materials should mean it holds my limited amount of kit for a good few years.

The main pocket has two dividers and will hold one body with lens, plus two lenses or one lens and the charger and cable. The access flap has a rim zip and the flap can be rolled back velcro'd open for easy access (no chance of damage to camera or lens from zip on this item). The body has a large external pocket for cables or passport and such like, while the main fold-over flap has two easy access pockets for batteries and data cards.

It's worth a look... click on the image to see the small version: National Geographic Explorer Shoulder Gear Bags - National Geographic Store

Forgot about them .. thanks!

Will pop into their big flagship store on Regent Street to have a look.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

+1 -- bought medium & large in black (for the city) and canvas (for traveling). best bags i've found to date. large one fits a macbook air nicely.

I recently got a Domke F-803 camera satchel. It looks a little like a posh small laptop bag. It takes my M8, a 35mm lens, and my 90mm lens with room to spare. Very rugged with a simple catch which makes getting at the camera much quicker than using a bag with a zip.

Domke F-803 Camera Satchel (115625) - Warehouse Express

Karl.

Well, FYI I went for a Billingham Hadley Small which I managed to find s/h and at a bargain price. It looks brand new. I can easily get the M8 with 35 or 75 cron attached and another 2 lenses plus room for a couple of batteries and a light meter. I reckon at a push I could get 2 M8s with lenses attached and room for a third lens. Now there's a thought........... :)

Ian, been away from wifi for a bit but now back, will post a piccy of the had. digital....It comes with 2 dividers, each with a flap so with a lens either side, it will still take an M8 with third lens/hood in a holster config., and the pocket on the front id free for batts/cards etc etc

best

john

ps, anyone looking for an M8 handgrip...cannot get on with mine! :rolleyes:

Need a small bag for my rationalised kit, had to put my lovely combibag up for sale as my M8 won't fit where the M2 did!

Anyway, I have a small kit and looking for a small bag to keep it all together in.

I have an M8 with 50 Summarit f2.5 with hood and fitted with official Leica grip. and only need room for 2 other lenses, my summicron 90 pre-A/A and my (not yet bought!) elmarit 24 or 28 with hood.....any suggestions....doesn't need to be too robust and prefer an over the shoulder type...? billingham digital hadley big enough, crumpler? etc etc

Its more for travelling and storage than ruffty tuffty stuff, I usually chuck the leica neoprene cover over the camera and stuff the summicron in my pocket (chrome so quite heavy!) but now I've invested in the M8 and a new summarit, I want to baby it a wee bit more

any suggestions?....ps, can't abide the feel of cordura nylon!!

Thanks again and in advance for your wise advice and experience.

(ps, the black combibag is on a certain auction site right now if you fancy it but it WILL NOT fit a thicker digital M.......film only! doh!)

Hullo John,

With my Nikon SLRs I used the Billingham Hadley or the Billingham Rucksak but now I am using the M8 and three lenses 35mm on camera plus 70mm and 135mm loose plus the small CL flash I find that I can fit them all in the Billingham Airline shoulder bag, comfortably. I bought it from Warehouse Express about nine months ago for, I think £67.00.

Maybe this might suit you.

David Watts.

Cornwall

Anyone want to buy the other bags ?

david.stmawes@tiscali.co.uk

Edited by DWatts
Forgetfullness

Thanks david, I ended up with a hadley digital...just a wee bit bigger than the airline pouch but better suited to my needs....£75 or so online but I paid a wee bit more at wilkinson cameras (and didn't mind as I made a right royal pain of myself trying my kit in different bags!)

quick and dirty phonecam pics of the hadley digital....as can be seen, will take an M8 plus 3-4 lenses no problem

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

My first bag after buying the M8 was the Billingham Hadley Pro. It's a great bag and very protective. It is also somewhat bulky. Unfortunately, it also looks so great that there must be something expensive inside. So I bought a small compact bag made by Think Tank. It is unobtrusive and very well made and includes a built in weather cover.

A few months ago, I bought a Domke messenger style bag which holds more than the Think Tank but not as much as the Billingham and is the most unobtrusive bag I've seen and is very comfortable on the hip.

So my advice is to get a Think Tank Stealth bag such as their model 20 if you want to carry something compact or go with the Domke. You can buy both for the price of one Billingham Hadley Pro and it won't look like you are carting more than $5000 worth of equipment.

Thanks for the pictures of the Hadley digital...I was wondering how you got 1 camera and 3 lenses in there. Take care with the brass button for the quick release (tends to unscrew). A & A Sebastio is also a great bag if you carry two cameras.

• 1 month later...
Fitting M and three lenses into the Billingham Airline bag:

It's very tight, although there is space between the lenses in the bottom for padding - usually I have one or both of them in a pouch. Generally I go out with two lenses - one mounted and the other in the bag as shown, with batteries where the second lens is placed in these shots. In that setup there is plenty of room, in fact I usually slide my sunglasses case in behind the camera. The lenses here are the 28cron and the 50lux, if you had one shorter lens then you put that one below where the camera body will sit (in this case on the left hand side).

[ATTACH]166801[/ATTACH]

So I recently purchased the SF-58 flash unit, which posed a problem for me in how I would carry it around. Turns out that with the reflector in the 'ready postion', it fits perfectly in the base of my Airline bag. I can comfortably fit the M8 with lens attached on top and I'm good to go :)

I put the flash in a cloth bag that Leica used to ship my M8 body back from servicing, a domke or other wrap would probably work just as well.

...that flash is about the size of a camera.

for a bag with a flap, maybe consider

Hadley digital (1 camera and lenses) < A&A WCAM 7500 Torpedo (2 cameras and lenses) < A&A GCAM 7000 Sebastio (2 cameras and lenses).