ReidReview review of Leica SF58 Flash Unit

wparsonsgisnet

I have the SF58, and I use it sometimes in weddings, but....it is very slow, it takes a lot of time recycling, much more than the nikon SB-900, furthermore the TTL and Auto modes don't expose well, I must down it -1 or -2/3 as a general rule, and the results aren't consistents, as a result I always finish using it on manual mode beacuse is the most effective and constant mode, 500€ for a manual flash?

May be with the M9 the results will be better, I hope...

http://www.danielbelenguer.com

Edited by autillo
URL

I have the SF58, and I use it sometimes in weddings, but....it is very slow, it takes a lot of time recycling, much more than the nikon SB-900, furthermore the TTL and Auto modes don't expose well, I must down it -1 or -2/3 as a general rule, and the results aren't consistents, as a result I always finish using it on manual mode beacuse is the most effective and constant mode, 500€ for a manual flash?

May be with the M9 the results will be better, I hope...

daniel belenguer

I discussed that recycling time aspect in the review. The solution could be an external power pack. The TTL accuracy, as I also discuss in the review, really comes down to whether or not the area measured by the metering strip is really representative of the whole frame.

Cheers,

Sean

The Nikon SC-28 has been replaced by an SC-29. The difference, as I understand it, is that the AF Illuminator is in the hot-shoe unit and switches off the Nikon Speedlight AF Illuminator.

Obviously the AF Illuminator is not required for the Leica though it can be useful with a DSLR and is better sited on-camera.

Sean (or anyone) do you know if the SC-29 is otherwise OK with the SF58.

Thank you.

Sean, I don't know your review, I'm sure it's very good as always. I'm only speaking about my personal experience....anyway, I prefer the nikon flash with a pocket wizard on the m8, to me is far better, and the SF58 is only my second (security) flash.

daniel belenguer

Which pocket wizard do you use with your Nikon 900? Do you just set it up manually? In other words, if you don't mind spending the time, could you elaborate on your set up of your flashe(s) and wizard and slave units on flashes when you are shooting? Thanks.

Edited by RickLeica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Sean, but I already understood that you were talking about two different flashes. My point was that from what I see they're not *very* different animals. They are both capable of working in ttl with the M8/M9 (where ttl here means metering through the lens but off the shutter curtain). In this regard they are very similar animals. But oddly, based on your reports, one is simply a gimpy animal that doesn't move as quickly as his close cousin when performing this one function. I wouldn't expect that kind of difference. I wouldn't be surprised if the Metz simply couldn't do ttl. But given that it can, what could be slowing it down?

OK, for the record: whatever Sean says is scripture.

We are of course using different cameras and different strobes. I hope to receive my M9 next week (hot damn!) and will try the GNC with the Metz 54 (that's the flash I use).

If it doesn't' perform with the speed that Sean mentions, I'll consider getting a 58 for the bag. Disclosure: it has to take second place to a second Quantum battery.

I'll report on my experience.

Again, don't doubt ReidReviews; just get a subscription. :)

Hi Mike,

You read the site already - see the section about that in the review. A Nikon SC-28 cord does the trick.

Cheers,

Sean

I got one today in Manchester £50 at Calumet.Their is a cheaper one available from some of the chains but I decided if Sean`s equipment did not "fry"I would take his advice.They are available on ebay for about £10 but of doubtfull origin ( prob work ok but who knows).

Brian:eek:

OK, for the record: whatever Sean says is scripture.

We are of course using different cameras and different strobes. I hope to receive my M9 next week (hot damn!) and will try the GNC with the Metz 54 (that's the flash I use).

If it doesn't' perform with the speed that Sean mentions, I'll consider getting a 58 for the bag. Disclosure: it has to take second place to a second Quantum battery.

I'll report on my experience.

Again, don't doubt ReidReviews; just get a subscription. :)

Hi Bill,

Thanks very much for the confidence though I'm sure I'm wrong sometimes. It's almost impossible to have that never happen. These various flashes should work the same way on the M8 or M9 (save for differences in metering) so I suspect the difference you mention relates more to the Metz vs. SF58 than camera differences. For me, the SF58 worked the same way on the M8.2 and M9.

Cheers,

Sean

Edited by sean_reid

I got one today in Manchester £50 at Calumet.Their is a cheaper one available from some of the chains but I decided if Sean`s equipment did not "fry"I would take his advice.They are available on ebay for about £10 but of doubtfull origin ( prob work ok but who knows).

Brian:eek:

True, why risk the equipment?

Cheers,

Sean

Hi Mike,

You read the site already - see the section about that in the review. A Nikon SC-28 cord does the trick.

Cheers,

Sean

Is it ONLY the Nikon cord that will work? I'm a Canon shooter and already have the SHCE Cord 2 off-camera cord.

Excellent review, by the way.

Is it ONLY the Nikon cord that will work? I'm a Canon shooter and already have the SHCE Cord 2 off-camera cord.

Excellent review, by the way.

Thanks. It is the only one that I have tested myself but overs have reported success with other cords.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean, I would really like to hear how the SC-29 works with the 58. Can you get one from your dealer?

I can see the 58 as a second flash, and the 29 cord as a real help.

P.S. the scout dogs smell an M9 in the bush early next week.

Why the 29 instead of the 28?

Cheers,

Sean

The 29 has the on-camera sensor, right? It thus mimics the Metz cord that I use.

I like having the sensor pointing exactly where the lens does.

Sure, this is something like what the remote sensor on an old Vivitar 285 does. But do you think the Nikon sensor will work with the Metz flash?

Cheers,

Sean

Sure, this is something like what the remote sensor on an old Vivitar 285 does. But do you think the Nikon sensor will work with the Metz flash?

Cheers,

Sean

No, Sean. I would purchase both the 58 and the 29. Dunno if your dealer will loan you one. If he will, I'll be glad to buy it if you don't keep it -- from him, as new, if it works with the 58.

Boy that was confusing.

To RickLEica,

I use Pocketwizard Plus II, just select the same channel in both, flash in manual mode, is the same as using a cord, far better beacuse you can move everywhere, of course is more expensive than a cord.

Then in every situation you must check if you need more or less intensity and select it manually, it isn't difficult, of course if you can shoot TTL or auto with your flash mounted on camera is easier and faster.

Anyway I try using available light if there is any,...I've seen wedding photographers working in the States and it seems to me that lots of weddings are celebrated during the day, so in this case a flash is not so important,then you only need fast primes and a bit of flash.

But coming back to the SF58.. for instance: in a wedding there are lots of situations when you need shooting fast, here in Valencia (Spain) most weddings are at night, you need a realiable flash, you can't wait until your flash is recovering, sometimes you need speed. I repeat, this is only my personal experience, I love leica cameras and lenses, but every brand has its weaks points, SF58 isn't the best product in Leica.

Sorry if a have spelling mistakes, I'm learning English.

daniel belenguer

No, Sean. I would purchase both the 58 and the 29. Dunno if your dealer will loan you one. If he will, I'll be glad to buy it if you don't keep it -- from him, as new, if it works with the 58.

Boy that was confusing.

Hi Bill,

I may be wrong but I think that Nikon remote sensor may not work with the SF58. The cord contacts on the SC-28 work but otherwise I imagine Nikon's flashes work in their own way.

Cheers,

Sean