ReidReview review of Leica SF58 Flash Unit

wparsonsgisnet

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just read Sean's review of the SF58 flash, built by Metz for Leica and introduced recently. This is a thorough review, as we have all come to expect from Sean, routinely. The best is boring, like clean water and organic food. That is, the usual, high quality review from Sean is so customary as to be boring; the review is superb.

At the end of the review there is a reference to ttl using Metz 3502 adapters and a caution to check with Metz about ttl flash.

I happen to use the off-camera cord for the Metz unit. This places a receiver unit in the hot shoe and enables use of the flash as a detached unit. I utilize a hand strap as advocated by Sean and discussed in one of his online articles. (I will be testing this with a Gary Fong Leightsphere unit as soon as it arrives, following today's purchase.)

With the M8 (and presumably with the M9, my copy of which has NOT yet arrived), there is NO ttl flash function. Using my M8 I have 2 choices: Automatic and GNC (guide number control?). In the GNC mode, the M8 fires a test pre-flash and subsequently the "correct" flash that was calculated as the result of the preflash.

I don't like GNC for 2 reasons. (1) my unit seems to calculate an insufficient flash and my pix are darker than I would like, and (2) I don't like preflash, as the subjects feel the first flash was the picture being taken and they become disinterested and very uninteresting subjects in the image that follows the preflash.

As a result, I always use Automatic. In this mode, the flash sensor sees the reflected light and shuts off the flash at the correct exposure. My Metz 54 speaks correctly to my M8 via the off-camera cord mounted in the hot shoe.

I waited a long time to buy a Metz unit and am an unabashed fan. They have *enormous* amounts of power. I also use the 54 with a Turbo 2X2 from Quantum (this actually costs MORE than the damn flash). As a result, when wandering around loaded for game, I look like a real nurd; however, a nurd with daylight in his hands.

Edited by wparsonsgisnet

do you have the Leica branded SF58 flash or a Metz flash (if so, which model)?

I'm hoping to trade/sell my SF24d and to get an alternate flash (SF58 or one of the Metz's that work) so that I can use a Lightsphere. The SF24 only points forward and so the ability to use a Lightsphere is only possible if using an off-camera method that allows the SF24 to be positioned upward.

ok. i THOUGHT that's what you were saying in the post. I don't use flash a lot, but I'd like to have an option that gives me better results than when I use the SF24d. So, that's why I'm going to get a Lightsphere. I guess for now I could just use it on my 24d and use it with an off-shoe cord so that it points upward.

Let me know how your Lightsphere works out!

ok. i THOUGHT that's what you were saying in the post. I don't use flash a lot, but I'd like to have an option that gives me better results than when I use the SF24d. So, that's why I'm going to get a Lightsphere. I guess for now I could just use it on my 24d and use it with an off-shoe cord so that it points upward.

Let me know how your Lightsphere works out!

I posted in a different thread that the unit I ordered today is out of stock. How the hell does a web store get out of stock on a pro unit?

I will post when the universal lightsphere arrives.

Check this thread for two guys who are using the lightsphere:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/101199-available-light-shooting-200-people.html

I have the SF 58, sold off my SF 24D and Nikon SB 800 to buy this flash, and it does do TTL with all Leica cameras that can do TTL, M6TTL/MP/M7/M8/M9, R9 and even the new X1.

I am glad I sold the other 2 flashes and got the SF58. With bounce tilt swivel and front extra flash it really works well.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

hi Bill

..hope all is well...I too am awaiting the delivery of the M9 and am considering the sf58...I have what may be a naive question but it's about using the flash off camera...how does the cord attach to the hot shoe?

Mike

mikecettadotcom

Edited by mikelc
spelling

hi Bill

..hope all is well...I too am awaiting the delivery of the M9 and am considering the sf58...I have what may be a naive question but it's about using the flash off camera...how does the cord attach to the hot shoe?

Mike

mikecettadotcom

Hi Mike,

You read the site already - see the section about that in the review. A Nikon SC-28 cord does the trick.

Cheers,

Sean

Hi Mike. I use the Metz off-camera cord. In the numbering scheme know only to the Metzmen, this is called an SCA 3008A cord.

It has a sensor that sits in the hot shoe and that part has the 3502 adapter as its base. The other end of the cord goes in the bottom of the Metz flash, where the 3502 adapter used to go.

My only complaint is that the rather-stiff, coiled cord isn't very long. I would really appreciate another foot of stretch.

Everything works like a dream (with no ttl on the M8, of course).

Regards,

P.S.. I also have the Nikon cord that Sean refers to above. It doesn't sport the sensor on the hot shoe that the Metz cord does. If you use the Nikon cord, you need to pay attention to the orientation of the sensor in the flash unit.

I just read Sean's review of the SF58 flash, built by Metz for Leica and introduced recently. This is a thorough review, as we have all come to expect from Sean, routinely. The best is boring, like clean water and organic food. That is, the usual, high quality review from Sean is so customary as to be boring; the review is superb.

At the end of the review there is a reference to ttl using Metz 3502 adapters and a caution to check with Metz about ttl flash.

I happen to use the off-camera cord for the Metz unit. This places a receiver unit in the hot shoe and enables use of the flash as a detached unit. I utilize a hand strap as advocated by Sean and discussed in one of his online articles. (I will be testing this with a Gary Fong Leightsphere unit as soon as it arrives, following today's purchase.)

With the M8 (and presumably with the M9, my copy of which has NOT yet arrived), there is NO ttl flash function. Using my M8 I have 2 choices: Automatic and GNC (guide number control?). In the GNC mode, the M8 fires a test pre-flash and subsequently the "correct" flash that was calculated as the result of the preflash.

I don't like GNC for 2 reasons. (1) my unit seems to calculate an insufficient flash and my pix are darker than I would like, and (2) I don't like preflash, as the subjects feel the first flash was the picture being taken and they become disinterested and very uninteresting subjects in the image that follows the preflash.

As a result, I always use Automatic. In this mode, the flash sensor sees the reflected light and shuts off the flash at the correct exposure. My Metz 54 speaks correctly to my M8 via the off-camera cord mounted in the hot shoe.

I waited a long time to buy a Metz unit and am an unabashed fan. They have *enormous* amounts of power. I also use the 54 with a Turbo 2X2 from Quantum (this actually costs MORE than the damn flash). As a result, when wandering around loaded for game, I look like a real nurd; however, a nurd with daylight in his hands.

Thanks Bill.

I have voicemails into a couple of people who should be able to talk about this question of Metz flashes and e-TTL. I want to get information confirmed from the horse's mouth and then I'll add that to the article.

So far, it seems to me the SF58 is really the only flexible professional unit which is fully compatible with the M8/M8.2/M9 if one wants to use eTTL. I'm waiting to hear if the newest Metz combinations might also be able to do that. But so far it seems that they cannot.

Cheers,

Sean

P.S.. I also have the Nikon cord that Sean refers to above. It doesn't sport the sensor on the hot shoe that the Metz cord does. If you use the Nikon cord, you need to pay attention to the orientation of the sensor in the flash unit.

Unless...of course, you're using the SF58. Thanks for that info. about the Metz off-camera.

Cheers,

Sean

I have the SF 58, (snip) and it does do TTL with all Leica cameras that can do TTL, M6TTL/MP/M7/M8/M9, R9 and even the new X1.

I am glad I sold the other 2 flashes and got the SF58. With bounce tilt swivel and front extra flash it really works well.

With the M8 and M9, it is not TTL, it is GNC with pre-flash. It cannot TTL on the CCD which reflect light much more than film.

And there is no TTL on the MP.

Lucien

Thanks Bill.

I have voicemails into a couple of people who should be able to talk about this question of Metz flashes and e-TTL. I want to get information confirmed from the horse's mouth and then I'll add that to the article.

So far, it seems to me the SF58 is really the only flexible professional unit which is fully compatible with the M8/M8.2/M9 if one wants to use eTTL. I'm waiting to hear if the newest Metz combinations might also be able to do that. But so far it seems that they cannot.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean,

I don't remember the e-ttl stuff in your review. However, here is the material from p 143 of the user manual for the M9. This description, and some stuff a little further on referrring to GNC, sound exactly like the way the M8 works.

The LEICA M9 determines the required flash power by

firing one or more pre flashes, fractions of a second

before taking the actual picture. Immediately after

this, at the start of exposure, the main flash is fired.

All factors that influence the exposure (such as filters

and changes to the aperture setting) are automatically

taken into account.

Great review -- as usual (geez).

Mike, this cord, and the umbilical to the battery, stay attached to my Metz 54 all the time. When I pull it out of the satchel, it looks like the Creature From the Black Lagoon.

I'm really exicted to try the Fong Lightsphere, when it comes....

I have the Metz 54 MZ4 with the 3502 adapter, sorry it wasn't clearer above.

The problem with the 54MZ4 on M8 and M9 is that it is not possible to dial any exposure compensation on the flash in GNC mode.

Lucien

Sean,

I don't remember the e-ttl stuff in your review. However, here is the material from p 143 of the user manual for the M9. This description, and some stuff a little further on referrring to GNC, sound exactly like the way the M8 works.

The LEICA M9 determines the required flash power by

firing one or more pre flashes, fractions of a second

before taking the actual picture. Immediately after

this, at the start of exposure, the main flash is fired.

All factors that influence the exposure (such as filters

and changes to the aperture setting) are automatically

taken into account.

Great review -- as usual (geez).

To the best of my knowledge the M9 handles flash exactly the same way as the M8. In fact I've used both with the SF58 and it worked the same way for both.

Thanks,

Sean

Thanks Bill and Sean

....I didn't realize until now (went to a site and looked at ithem) that such cords come as they do without the need for some other external kind of a adaptor

mike

mikecettadotcom

If you're using the SF 58 then all you need is the Nikon cord that I talked about in that review. The adapters come into play with the Metz flashes.

The more I learn about all this the more I think the SF 58 is really the best way to go if one wants the most versatile functionality.

Cheers,

Sean