The Golden Age for Film - Is Now!

john_r_smith

I made a little sidestep to the M8, sent it back, and am now fully focussed on film again (I still shoot digital professionally) It's the total film "thing" that appeals to me, getting the developer up to speed and temperature, choosing the developer based on the notes taken, the smell of the chemicals, the anticipation of how the negatives will turn out.....

I still have a fully equipped darkroom and love printing, although the time involved is hard to find lately, but thats a matter of choice.....

I basically use three films; Agfa APX100, Kodak Tri-X 400 mostly at 320, and Efke 25.

The only two developers I use are Rodinal and HC-110 ... all the difference I achieve with timing of the development cycle and quantities.

It even is more relaxing browsing a film based forum as opposed to the digital forum, it's the difference between a stroll along a little country road and 42nd ave. at lunchtime.

I bought a huge amount of apx100 from agfa right after they stopped production, this will probably last me a couple of years, it is my favorite film, it's very easy to use and process and it's fault tolerant. Tri-x gives me the look I want under certain circumstances, the sort of "film-noir" look, and Efke 25 is great for detail and contrast.

Although I have the equipment to develop 5 rolls at once I prefer doing it roll by roll, this gives me the results I am aiming for(take notes on what you have shot when and what you expect)

Also depending on what I'm developing I play either Wagner, Miles Davis or Infected Mushroom.

I usually do my casual printing with Elgar, printing which requires more attention, like toned prints and fine art stuff I do listening to Beethoven. Although having a vast musical collection these choices seldom differ.

And although people say you shouldn't I always enjoy a tumbler of Laphroag whilst printing

All of this adds up to the fun of shooting film.....

And although people say you shouldn't I always enjoy a tumbler of Laphroag whilst printing

All of this adds up to the fun of shooting film.....

Too intensely smoky peat for my taste, but a number of other single malts do it for me. ;)

I agree with everything else.

Johan,

Your post on the fun of developing film and prints is right up on the top of those that made me smile today.

All that good music expertly selected for the right activity, and the Laphroag sure adds up to alot of fun I bet.

Thank you.

Franklin

I agree and love film..your speeking to the converted.

Film has always been my first love.

I still remember all my Dad's darkroom equipment, helping him load film canisters. etc Its in my blood and as much as the Digital movement is gaining more and more conversions every day, I still love the feel and look of film, there is nothing more rewarding that developing your own film and the magic of it coming out great.

Sadly Kodak ( shoot itself in the foot Kodak) has been on a long decline since 1983.

If they really have their act together, they will make a sensor and software engine for either their cameras or someone else that can capture the beauty, depth, shapness and 3d quality of K25 but this time in digital. Kodak is slowly strangling itself out of the market.

Fuji on the other hand just released 4 new films this year that are excellent, in fact a brillliant step forward.

I just purchased an Epson Perfection 4990 Photo scanner and I am frankly amazed at the progress that has happened in the last few years and this is a flatbed scanner!!

Doug I still have 15 rolls of K25 left :)

Thanks for the thread

Regards, Leicamann

I just purchased an Epson Perfection 4990 Photo scanner and I am frankly amazed at the progress that has happened in the last few years and this is a flatbed scanner!!

Doug I still have 15 rolls of K25 left :)

Thanks for the thread

Regards, Leicamann

I have read that Epson V750 (flatbed) scanner is last nail in coffin of dedicated negative/slide scanners. Ok, maybe not Imacon, but Minolta/Canon/Nikon...

Me to thought about 4990, but I think I will add 100 EUROS more and get V750. That is if get scanner at all :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That's the truth. Well spoken.

I might add that I just bouhgt a Leitz IIc enlarger in mint condition for 300 dkr (40€).

Also have my eye on a M6 for 5000 dkr. (700€) as well as some medium-format as I anyway own a scanner that can do medium format scans.

Unfortunately I have to get the digital stuff as well. But I feel that as long as I stay up to date on using analog stuff, my standards will not lower to those of digital.