The Golden Age for Film - Is Now!

john_r_smith

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, this may seem to be a somewhat perverse notion, but just as a little light relief from all the M8 agonising over on the Digital forum, consider this –

For those of us who choose to stick with film, things have never been so good, largely thanks indeed to the digital revolution. No, my friends, this is no time for hand-wringing or prophecies of doom. We who stick by good old emulsion, sprocket holes or little numbers peered at through red windows are doing just fine, thank you very much, and the digital anoraks are welcome to their C1 profiles, crop ratios and magenta casts. The case for film –

• Truly high-class second-hand film cameras are now laughably cheap. Check out the prices on medium-format gear in fine condition, or pro-level Nikon F series stuff. You can have the film camera of your dreams for pocket-money these days. Better still, watch for second-hand Leica M-series bodies to come tumbling down in price once they get the M8 sorted out.

• Scanning technology has now reached a quality level where you can print your film negs on an ink-jet, get great results and not need a darkroom anymore. Now this is digital technology we film buffs appreciate.

• But if you prefer wet darkroom work, then all this darkroom gear has never been so cheap either – people are virtually giving away high class enlargers and lenses.

• And last but not least – film is still plentiful and cheap. Stock up your freezers now, chaps, while the Golden Age is with us.

Yes, it’s all good news here on the Film Forum. Just don’t let those digital blokes know about it, they might want to join in :)

John

I was outside at the Internat Forum menu, where the thread titles are truncated. I was going to come in and just write "Now" obviously.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

:)

Guest hammertone

Could not agree more. Just bought stocks of slide frames and slide magazines for 35mm and 6x7 for approximately the next 10 years. This stuff might become more expensive or in the case of 6x7 medium format even unavailable in future. For E6 film I don't worry too much. New and interesting films are still introduced (Provia 400x, Velvia 50II etc.). Looks like a bright future to me.

John,

You are sort of right, it's a matter of perception really. As a long time analog type I love my film and darkroom. My best skills are still there. I am, however, working overtime to get my digital skills up to speed. I have had an M8 for four days now and am convinced it is a marvel. But so is the M7, etc. The M8 will clearly cost much more to substantiate than any of its predecessors, but I need/want it anyway.

Just a little point about your 'cheap' film. I wish I could agree! It has never been more expensive. Of course, I am grateful that it is still available, but cheap was twenty years ago!!

We are truly blest with the best of both worlds in Leica. Great analog and digital, according to ones preference. Make pictures while the sun shines. And when it dosen't, bring out the Noctilux!:D

Cheers,

Erl

I am with you all the way on this. Come to think I have this 50 year old folder still capable of outperforming any digital with ease. But sadly for us here film is getting a bit steep here ( Australia ) we now pay $ 16.00 US for Astia 135/36. I now source it in Hongkong or the US running the risk of having it fogged . But for me film is king even after using the 5D.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

John,

I wish I could agree! It has never been more expensive. Of course, I am grateful that it is still available, but cheap was twenty years ago!!

Cheers,

Erl

John,

I'm paying less for film now than I've paid in the last 20 years. Admittedly, some of it is short dated and I incurr postage which encourages me to buy in bigger volume than ever before. With the internet I can find those deals.

I've just bought 30 rolls of 220 NPH at less than £1 a roll plus postage and 36 exp, 35mm Fuji is £1'ish a roll.

What's more colour processing is now cheaper than I've been able to get in the last 20 years.

I now can buy a 36 exp 35mm film, get it processed and scanned to medium res CD for a total of £3.

Conversely, because I'm uncomfortable with 'used' digital equipment, I've never spent, and lost, as much on camera kit as I'm doing now.

I buy an M8 with my eyes wide open. :eek:

John,

You're absolutely right! I'm so tempted to snap up all those cameras I used to admire, which are now so affordable! But you can only use one camera at a time and I already have a bit of a collection.

I have a Bronica which I've not used for a couple of years now, real shame because it produced such excellent results, and I can't quite bring myself to part with it, especially for the price I'd probably get for it. Friends have asked me to take some shots at their wedding which is next weekend so it's a good opportunity to use it again perhaps, although a Leica in the church is excellent for discretion.

I do still have my eye on an M6 which is being reduced in price gradually. So far they've taken £125 off.

I can't see myself getting back into the home darkroom thing but I might start developing my own B&W films again.

Develop only?

Where?

Tesco,

ASDA

Costco,

all develop a film for £1.

Scan to CD for £1.

They maintain the machines well and test chemicals every day.

What they can't do is 'improve' or 'match' your work. Rubbish in - guess what comes out?

I never, ever go for the print package always to a 18 mb / image CD and then select the prints to work on in PS. At first I scanned my selected images on a Nikon 8000, but unless I crop hard or need a big print, the quality is exceptionally good.

You've seen my stuff here this week on the Photo Forum. Crap is not accepted under any circumstances.

I might be fortunate that the staff at the lab I use have been there for 10 years and follow instructions for maintenance. If I take a 'final' print order in they will do a paper check with the chemicals.

I recently took a film to a local Pro Lab because it needed 'uprating'. It cost me £18 for the process and CD! That hurt. As a consequence, I now carry high speed film and I don't hesitate to rewind a film at 15 exposures and get it processed if need be.

Having said all this, digital capture is so convenient that I am drifting that way, very quickly.

James

don't sell that Bronica - it's a great camera, and you will only get peanuts for it. There is a series of portraits in this month's B/W Photography all done on a Bronny, and they are stunning. Also consider this, doubters and ye of little faith -

Bronica are no more, so the camera you've got will never be made again. But for us amateur users, these cameras used carefully will outlast us. Same goes for well looked-after Leicas, Mamiyas and Hassys too. If you are at all interested in being able to continue to shoot film into the future, now is not the time to sell your analogue kit. Hang on to it, treasure it, and buy whatever else you need while it's cheap. I have a German quarterplate folding camera with Schneider lens which is 80 years old, and produces superb pinsharp pictures on 6x9 negatives. I use it as a copy camera to photograph my wife's paintings, and the scanned transparencies blow digital into the weeds. It cost me £15 . . . Compare that to the price of a digital 'Blad HD-39 which it would probably take to equal the result ;)

John

...they will point at you and say, he is shooting film! :eek::D

LOL!

:D

We're already there in my neighborhood!

Agreed about the angst on the Digital Forum: it is indeed pleasant to come over here and enjoy a format that is mature and reliable (user-error excepted!).

Thanks.

Allan

The current time isn't so golden for the Kodachrome users among us. I'm saving my last roll of K25 for a special event in January; I still miss the colors of Kodachrome II. E6 processing likewise is becoming more scarce with spotty quality; at least some great E6 films are still available.

K64 and K200, though I prefer the 64, is still widely available and I've heard nothing about it being discontinued. Developing (K-14 process) is not what it was. Only one lab I know of in the US - Dwaynes Photo in Kansas. They do nice work. and if you want to pay the cost of overnight shipping, you can get same day service. It would have been nice if they had kept the K25 around to round out the field.