rhow

Lenses for Infrared Photography with M8

I experimented with IR photography using my Elmarit 28/2.8 on the M8. I realized that this lens appears to cause a significant hot spot under IR conditions, especially with apertures 8 and up.

Can you please share your experience with other lenses on the M8 when using for IR photography?

Thanks!

Ralph

I experimented with IR photography using my Elmarit 28/2.8 on the M8. I realized that this lens appears to cause a significant hot spot under IR conditions, especially with apertures 8 and up.

Can you please share your experience with other lenses on the M8 when using for IR photography?

Thanks!

Ralph

ASPH or pre ASPH? I have no hotspots with my pre ASPH and Hoya IR72 filter.

I'm using the CV 21mm w/B+W 093 filter on the M8. No hotspots that I can see with the CV 21. Have used the Summicron 35mm ASPH and Summicron 50mm--also no hotspots. (These are "known safe" lenses.) Need to shoot more IR: Infrared - a set on Flickr

Ditto on the Zeiss 25mm photo posting--love to see some.

Thanks,

Will

Wold be great if m8-shooters chime in on experiences with lenses working for ir-photography on the m8 (i.e., lenses without a central hot sport when using ir-filter).

Thanks...

I've been shooting infra-red handheld with my M8 for about 10 years and my favourite lens, which has no IR hot-spot, is the 21/2.8 Kobalux (which is also sold under the Avenon brand).

Before that I used the Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton v1 and there was no obvious hot-spot on that.  (Wide open it understandably vignettes a lot, which might be mistaken as a hot-spot at such a wide aperture but it's not.)

I used the Voigtlander 15/4.5 Ultra-wide Heliar v1 (LTM) for a while and it had no hot-spot but it became awkward to attach the IR filter owing to no filter thread and a fixed semi-hood.

The 35/3.5 Summaron has a reputation for having no IR hot-spot but I can't confirm since I haven't used it.

Pete. 

Summarit 5 cm/1.5 has no hot spot either. APO lenses should exhibit less focus shift.

I use the 28/2.8/ASPH-I and the vintage Leica E39 IR filter and have good luck, no hot spots.

I can test - and will eventuell do - but what about ir hot sport with 21mm Super-Elmar-M, 28mm f2.8 Elmarit-M (newest version), Konica UC-Hexanon 35mm f2?

Hi!

So far I have tried and used a 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH (mkI) and a 50mm Summilux from 1971 with a Ø43mm original Leica filter, probably something like a R72 (+ a StepDown ring with the 28mm..), and a 21mm Elmarit-M ASPH and a 90mm Summicron (pre-ASPH) with a cheap eBay Ø55mm 950nm filter, and I have not detected any hot-spots as I can find with any of these lenses.. I haven't looked at very many photos yet, so if I see it in the future I will correct myself...

Best regards,

Rune

I’ve used the 35mm f/2.5 CV Color-Skopar PII for IR on my M8 extensively for years with no issues.