Traveling with M8 where to storage

nikolas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I second using a netbook. I traveled in El Salvador and Honduras a couple of weeks ago, I found easy to dump the SD cards directly to the net book. I used a Samsung NC10 which has a real battery life of 6 plus hours. I increased the hard drive to 300+ gig and augmented the Ram to 2 gig. And then I also made separate DVD via a small dvd recoder of the files from the netbook. This worked very well plus, the net book allowed me to run the picasaweb program and upload images for my friends to view; use wifi; write; search the web; etc.

I liked the security of a written files on the DVDs "just in case"...which were then kept separate while flying.

here are some images from my two weeks in central america: Picasa Web Albums - AJZ

Z

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A double backup is more than a wise action . A netbook 160Gb. ( with a small size external 160Gb)., and an Hyperdrive 320Gb sounds great to me. Independently for all time power supply, no big and heavy, reasonable price.

I think you've got it worked out pretty well. You'll end up with two ways to download the cards (netbook & Hyperdrive) and two ways to view pictures. The external 160GB might not even be needed.

I'm still fiddling with the software for the new ASUS netbook I described earlier. One of the things you have to live with is the 1024 x 600 screen. The ASUS lets you toggle 1024 x 768, but that's under a "sliding" 1024 x 600 window. ACR wants that larger screen. However, ACDsee 10 and Pro seem happy to work with the small screen. I think that either ACDSee product will be good enough to do quick edits and uploads on the road, saving the heavy duty stuff for the desktop computer when I get home. I already have ACDSee 10, and will be able to try the Pro version out on my trip to Paris later this month.

If you get a netbook, take a look for "bloatware". I uninstalled the trial Office 2007 and will be happy with just the included MS works. There were a couple of other ASUS things I uninstalled that I just didn't need. I installed a copy of Acrobat 7 Pro that I had on the shelf -- handy for capturing web pages when you're on the move with no printer (or by one of the generic PDF makers).

Good luck with your trip.

I am going to have my first long trip with m8 to India.I have two worries, lenses and storage.

Lenses:

At the moment I have an elmarit 21mm (for mostly landscapes so i do not think that i need an external viewfinder for it).For more accurate composition I plan to get the elmarit 28 that fits with 28/90 framelines(about 1000 pounds sounds good for me). I need one more longer(and cheeper) lens and I was thinking the nokton 40mm f1,4. Enrico suggests Summicron-c 40/2 as he says it's better.I do not know if it easy to find it.

Storage:

In my previous trips i used a macbook for storage the files. As I want to travel light (that's why i turned to m8 -the trip is going to last 3-4 months-) I would like to avoid carrying the laptop. Is there anything else that I can storage the files safely?

Thanks

Nikolas

Hullo Nicholas,

I have made a number of trips to India and find that my 35mm Sumarit is good for views and my 90mm Elmar is better for close ups on the M8. As for storage a few years ago I bought a Disc Steno which operates from rechargeable batteries and burns my cards to DVD discs. It does not have a screen but burns very quickly and easily. It is about the size of a fat paper back book.

Have a great visit.

David Watts.

Cornwall.

U.K.

I am going to have my first long trip with m8 to India.I have two worries, lenses and storage.

Lenses:

At the moment I have an elmarit 21mm (for mostly landscapes so i do not think that i need an external viewfinder for it).For more accurate composition I plan to get the elmarit 28 that fits with 28/90 framelines(about 1000 pounds sounds good for me). I need one more longer(and cheeper) lens and I was thinking the nokton 40mm f1,4. Enrico suggests Summicron-c 40/2 as he says it's better.I do not know if it easy to find it.

Storage:

In my previous trips i used a macbook for storage the files. As I want to travel light (that's why i turned to m8 -the trip is going to last 3-4 months-) I would like to avoid carrying the laptop. Is there anything else that I can storage the files safely?

Thanks

Nikolas

...3-4 months in India? Whatever you decide, Nikolas, just make sure you also pick up a cheap M6 body and some rolls of film before you leave. You will not regret it. ;)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...3-4 months in India? Whatever you decide, Nikolas, just make sure you also pick up a cheap M6 body and some rolls of film before you leave. You will not regret it. ;)

No question about film camera.

I am thinking for a Leica lc which comes with summarit 40/2 which is a lens i would like to have also for the m8

No question about film camera.

I am thinking for a Leica lc which comes with summarit 40/2 which is a lens i would like to have also for the m8

...Leica 1c? You do realise the 1c features a screw mount, as opposed the bayonet mount on the M8? You will need a screw-to-M mount adaptor, or something similar, to use the same lens on both these cameras. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can advise further.

Edited by aesop

The summicron 40 does not need adaptator, just it does set the 50mm frame. Need filing to have the 35mm one.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/42899-m8-summicron-40mm-f2.html

E39 IR/UV filter with small strip of black gaffer around on grroves to hold in the small sunshade.

Edited by danyves

I have a Hyperdrive "Colorspace 0" and it works well as long as you know what you're getting:

• Don't believe their marketing speak about battery life and card read speed. Backing up a 2GB SD card with full verification takes about 12 minutes on mine and eats a lot of battery. I wouldn't go anywhere without a charger or some device that has a USB port it can charge from (like a laptop).
  • The interface is a bit quirky for browsing files, it is easy enough to back up/dump files from a card.
  • The device warns me that I've already backed this card up and do I really want to do it again even if it is a different card. When I asked them about this they said that as long as the card's capacity and the number of files on the card is identical to the values for the previous card it thinks it is the same card. As the M8 files are always the same size there will always be the same number of files on cards of the same size.

If it was me I'd have no less than two in addition to the cards, a laptop/netbook and an external USB drive (something like a Lacie TinyDisk or a WD Passport).

Carl

I ordered the colorspace UDMA. Hope is faster than colorspace 0' and the battery lasts longer, cause I need to travel in the county for short 3-4 days in places without electricity. My thought was to have it with me, and after getting back to the base to download the picture to the netbook

Hope it works out for you. Set the screen's back light as low as you can and to go black quickly, this will save a lot of battery. Don't disable verification as you want to make sure the files on disk are identical to those on the cards. Bring enough cards for the 3-4 days you're planning to be away so you don't have to reuse them. Enjoy your trip!

Cheers,

Carl

• 2 weeks later...
After summer 2008, I gave up all Epson Pxxxx, Hyperdrives, etc and I got a Lenovo 10S with 3GB RAM and 360GB 7200RPM HD for just about 400€.

I installed Vista, Adobe DNG codec for Windows Vista Photo Viewer (free) and ACDSee Pro Photo Manager 2.5 which is compatible with DNG files.

Why ACDSee Pro Photo Manager 2.5? Because for Adobe products you need a minimal screen resolution of 1024x768 and the Netbooks offer only 1024x600!

Remember: You won't be able to install Photoshop CS4 on a Netbook! You can install Adobe Lightroom 2.x, but it is not very confortable to use on a 1024x600 screen. I found no problem with ACDSee Pro Photo Manager 2.5 (but I won't do any serious work it)

Of course, Netbooks are bigger than Hyperdrives but smaller (and lighter) and normal laptops... Personally, their size (10"), it's not a big deal when I consider all the other things I can do with them when I travel...

I think the new Dell 10 is a nice Netbook.

Cheers,

.[/quote

where can I get one of that Lenovo 10S with 3GB RAM and 360GB 7200RPM?

Nikolas,

I bought the Lenovo S10 (the model with Bluetooth) and I upgraded it myself with 2GB RAM (28€) and a Western Digital 2.5" HD "Scorpio Black" 320GB 7200 RPM S-ATA 16Mo (WD3200BJKT) (72€). I also bought an external enclosure USB2 for 2.5" S-ATA HD (10€), where I installed the original 160GB HD to use it as external back up / storage.

Meanwhile, a new version of ACDSee Pro is available (version 3.0). I have upgraded it. I should test next week if CaptureOne can be used on a Netbook.

Honestly, I'm very happy with this solution and I won't go back to image tanks (Epson, Hyperdrive, etc.)

(I bought Lenovo S10 because you can install Mac OS Leopard on it... it's fully compatible as the Dell mini 9).