Traveling with M8 where to storage

nikolas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hyperdrive Colorspace looks great.Is it possible to transfer data to an external drive for back up without use laptop?

You can download your SD cards directly into the Hyperdrive Colorspace. It has a card slot. (That's the whole point of those "vaults".) And it can still be used as an external USB hard drive, and has the LCD screen for viewing.

I can not find a Summicron-c 40/2!!! any idea.

Is it worthy to take the elmarit 28mm or it's a redundancy as i have the 21mm.

Take a look at the C/V Nokton 50mm f/1.5. They are a discontinued item, but CameraQuest in California has them in stock for $369 US. I suspect you could find one closer to home. Several forum members have had very good results with this lens. You'd need to get a Leica Thread Mount to M-Mount adapter, but you wouldn't need to code this lens.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can download your SD cards directly into the Hyperdrive Colorspace. It has a card slot. (That's the whole point of those "vaults".) And it can still be used as an external USB hard drive, and has the LCD screen for viewing.

The Hyperdrive is *nice*. But if you want to go cheaper and don't need a preview screen--just backup of the card's files--this might be the answer:

Amazon.com: Wolverine PicPac/7512 Data 120GB PicPac Portable Digital Pictures and Data Storage with 11-in-1 Memory Card Reader: Electronics

Amazon.com: Wolverine PicPac/7525 Data 250GB PicPac Portable Digital Pictures and Data Storage with 11-in-1 Memory Card Reader: Electronics

Amazon.com: Wolverine PicPac/7532 Data 320GB PicPac Portable Digital Pictures and Data Storage with 11-in-1 Memory Card Reader: Electronics

You just stick the card in, press copy, and it copies the card to the drive. You later plug it into your computer and copy the files to the computer.

I have the 40GB version (old now) and that has worked great for me.

120GB is about 10,800 photos (at 90 photos on average per GB--that's shooting DNGs).

The problem with the Hyperdrive and similar solutions is that if the Hyperdrive gets lost, broken or stolen, you lose your images if you have had to reuse your SD cards. The netbook and external drive works better.

And if you're really worried about your files, for $250 you can buy *two* 120GB devices and backup each card twice--once to each device. :D

Thanks!

Will

Edited by wstotler

The problem with the Hyperdrive and similar solutions is that if the Hyperdrive gets lost, broken or stolen, you lose your images if you have had to reuse your SD cards. The netbook and external drive works better.

I would never used a Hyperdrive or a Wolverine as my only storage solution. That would be folly.

They do, however offer an alternative to straight USB HDDs and function as USB HHDs when attached to the laptop or netbook. The Hyperdrive offers the option of computer-less veiwing. The non-display Wolverines are expensive USB HDDs, except that they do give you one more safety option for reading cards.

If the decision is made not to read cards through the vault, then plain small USB HDDs are an inexpensive option. The problem is that its hard to find them with less than 250 GB, through those are priced at $75 US or less. You can make your own USB HDD by sticking any 2.5" drive into a $20 case...But new 160 GB drives run around $50 to $55 in stores, so there is no price advantage using new drives.

A strategy with USB HDDs is to mail one home (to family or a friend) every month or so.

Second what Robsteve said. Computer + external and make CD copies

I would also just buy more cards. $12 for 2 gb card at Frys Electronics. If you got to have a brand name, you will pay more.

Are you not worried about elecricity to charge batteries. That would be my first concern.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The question is backup on travel without computer nor electricity, on the road.

Of course, once back home, one download the Hyperdrive on an external HDD.

Though the Hyperdrieve is an external HDD, just that it has its own power.

Hyperdrive is a temporary solution for the light traveler in rough countries and times when not taking a laptop.

Hyperdrive Colorspace looks great.Is it possible to transfer data to an external drive for back up without use laptop? though i believe i can't avoid to take one with me.

I believe looking at there site, that the only purpose of the Hyperdrive Colorspace is to do just that. No computer needed. Simply copies the images from the SD to it's internal HD, and presents images for viewing... RAW/DNG or JPG... You connect via USB later... to copy the images to your MBP... It mounts as a HD.

Don't expect WIFI in india.. Cybercafe's are everywhere but few will allow you to use you own computer.... unless you pay extra.... but then you need a cable... CAT5

Edited by swamiji
formatting

You can see raw with the Hyperdrive Colorspace which I do recommand as light and powerfull solution for storage on the go when one is without laptop, or as external drive if with laptop or netbook.

Worth the prince. I find it invaluable in many circumstances.

HyperDrive COLORSPACE UDMA

Looking at the brief spec it is not clear how the raw files are processed. If the worst happened and you had to reuse your cards while still traveling, would the copy in HyperDrive allow pure Raw processing and editing later in Lightroom, for example?

I once used the Epson P2000 and noticed that even the file numbers got changed without scope for reversion. This may not be a big problem for some users, but when I integrated the Epson files into my standard catalogue they had all changed their identity.

I did store 2500 DNG+Jpeg fine in 2008 in El Rocio in my Hyperdrive Colorspace 160GB.

Processed them without problem either in C1,LR or CR4.

I still do have these pictures in the Hyperdrive, I can bing with me, and last charge was more than 10 month ago. No need to recharge at present time.

Needless to say these pictures are saved on two 500GB HDD.

You can also choose to buy the HYperdrive case only, and put inside one of your own 2.5" SATA drive.

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-COLORSPACE-UDMA-Casing-Only-p/hdcsu-000.htm

One charge battery can backup up to 250GB.

From the specs :

- Backup 2GB in 1 minute with full data verification.

- High Res 3.2" color LCD screen displays JPEG & RAW.

- Fast real RAW image decoding. Supports any RAW type.

- Unlimited SATA HDD capacity (120~500GB & beyond).

- Ultra powerful battery (backup up to 250GB per battery).

- Backup directly from 14 different memory card types.

- Incremental backup support

- Hard drive S.M.A.R.T. health status monitoring.

- Memory card data recovery tools.

- Supports customization with user programmable scripts.

- Extremely fast USB transfer speed (32MB/s)

- Backup from any USB device via USB OTG*

- Mirror/synchronize data with a second drive*

- Ultra compact palm top size

Edited by danyves

Cards are so cheap these days that I dont bring my laptop on shoots anymore.

Visit Adorama's web site for very low prices ...legit NYC camera store .. I have been buying from them for years.

Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera

I have a ton of CF and SDHC cards that I bring with me ... real nice not having to hook up a laptop and card readers at the hotel...even more nice not having to download and backup to a Mac at the end of a long day.

I use a Nexto DI to back up the cards during the shoot.... just for ease of mind.

Check out the new video storage device from Nexto....it copies to the HD and an external HD at the same time.

No viewing screen however.

But you can get a good name brand 4 gig card for 10 dollars or so.... just buy ten of them.... not having to bring your laptop with you will be worth the $100 investment.

Have a great trip.

Looking at the brief spec it is not clear how the raw files are processed. If the worst happened and you had to reuse your cards while still traveling, would the copy in HyperDrive allow pure Raw processing and editing later in Lightroom, for example?

I once used the Epson P2000 and noticed that even the file numbers got changed without scope for reversion. This may not be a big problem for some users, but when I integrated the Epson files into my standard catalogue they had all changed their identity.

I do reuse the cards in the field, once I have done the backup on the Hyperdrive, which is as safe as an internal SATA drive of a laptop.

I won't rely on SD cards for storage when travelling.

I dont trust any cards for long term storage... I back my cards up to the Nexto and dont reuse them until I get home and have everything safely backed up on 2 SATA drives on the Mac.

After summer 2008, I gave up all Epson Pxxxx, Hyperdrives, etc and I got a Lenovo 10S with 3GB RAM and 360GB 7200RPM HD for just about 400€.

I installed Vista, Adobe DNG codec for Windows Vista Photo Viewer (free) and ACDSee Pro Photo Manager 2.5 which is compatible with DNG files.

Why ACDSee Pro Photo Manager 2.5? Because for Adobe products you need a minimal screen resolution of 1024x768 and the Netbooks offer only 1024x600!

Remember: You won't be able to install Photoshop CS4 on a Netbook! You can install Adobe Lightroom 2.x, but it is not very confortable to use on a 1024x600 screen. I found no problem with ACDSee Pro Photo Manager 2.5 (but I won't do any serious work it)

Of course, Netbooks are bigger than Hyperdrives but smaller (and lighter) and normal laptops... Personally, their size (10"), it's not a big deal when I consider all the other things I can do with them when I travel...

I think the new Dell 10 is a nice Netbook.

Cheers,

I do reuse the cards in the field, once I have done the backup on the Hyperdrive, which is as safe as an internal SATA drive of a laptop.

Yes, but an internal hard-drive only stores the complete file. The Epson changes its identity.

A double backup is more than a wise action . A netbook 160Gb. ( with a small size external 160Gb)., and an Hyperdrive 320Gb sounds great to me. Independently for all time power supply, no big and heavy, reasonable price.

Nikolas

A double backup is more than a wise action . A netbook 160Gb. ( with a small size external 160Gb)., and an Hyperdrive 320Gb sounds great to me. Independently for all time power supply, no big and heavy, reasonable price.

Nikolas

I do suscribe to this choice. Full security.