Traveling with M8 where to storage

nikolas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am going to have my first long trip with m8 to India.I have two worries, lenses and storage.

Lenses:

At the moment I have an elmarit 21mm (for mostly landscapes so i do not think that i need an external viewfinder for it).For more accurate composition I plan to get the elmarit 28 that fits with 28/90 framelines(about 1000 pounds sounds good for me). I need one more longer(and cheeper) lens and I was thinking the nokton 40mm f1,4. Enrico suggests Summicron-c 40/2 as he says it's better.I do not know if it easy to find it.

Storage:

In my previous trips i used a macbook for storage the files. As I want to travel light (that's why i turned to m8 -the trip is going to last 3-4 months-) I would like to avoid carrying the laptop. Is there anything else that I can storage the files safely?

Thanks

Nikolas

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots and lots of SD/SDHC cards? This will get expensive, and you still run the risk of having them all stolen. How many pictures do you think you are going to take?

Another option would be to set up a secure NAS at home or rent some online storage space and use internet cafes to download the pictures directly. This option does depend on how regularly you think you'll find internet cafes where you're going in India.

dpstjp

Nikolas:

To be really sure of your files, you should just bring a laptop and a small external drive. Download your images to both the laptop and external drive. The other storage solutions are really not much lighter than one of the new netbooks and not much cheaper.

As for a longer lens, you cannot go wrong with the plain old 50mm Summicron. Any of the recent optical vintage will give you excellent results. The older Canadian version with the clip on hood is small and light too.

Robert

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm leaving for India in a month, and will be taking my M8 and two or three lenses.

I don't recommend transmitting your files back home over the internet - in most places, the connection is not very good. I think you'll want some kind of backup device as you indicated.

What I was going to do for that purpose was to buy a Netbook computer. They're tiny, and light, and can come with up to 160 gigs or so. Prices start at a little over $200. You can buy them with XP and 1 gig of RAM, but most of the shops will install an extra gig as a separate transaction, so they don't violate their agreement with Microsoft (1 gig limit). If I remember correctly, they have a built-in card reader, but if not a separate reader is no big deal. (It's also a usable computer, so you can use it instead of a laptop for email, etc.)

Bring at least two batteries, and three wouldn't be a bad idea.

If you'd rather not have all your images in only one location, for $100 or so you can buy a huge add-on USB drive.

I have an epson P-5000, however not being able to view M8 DNG's on it is a real pain in the ass.

Personally I would choose something like this: Dell Inspiron Mini 10 & Mini 10v Netbook Product Details

for £199 (probably cheaper alternatives from other manufacturers too), you get a 10" screen, SD card reader and 160Gb of hard disk space. You can also check your email on it and not have to rely on dodgy internet cafe machines. If you find that you run out of disk space, a portable USB drive is a tiny and cheap addition.

You can see raw with the Hyperdrive Colorspace which I do recommand as light and powerfull solution for storage on the go when one is without laptop, or as external drive if with laptop or netbook.

Worth the prince. I find it invaluable in many circumstances.

HyperDrive COLORSPACE UDMA

Edited by danyves

The problem with the Hyperdrive and similar solutions is that if the Hyperdrive gets lost, broken or stolen, you lose your images if you have had to reuse your SD cards. The netbook and external drive works better.

When I travel, I usually don't fill all my SD cards, but I have a backup on my Laptop, and the external drive. I make sure I don't have all three things in the same place when traveling. For example I will carry on the laptop and camera with cards, and put the small external drive in my checked luggage. The same can be done in the hotel, put one of the items in the safe.

Robert

The problem with the Hyperdrive and similar solutions is that if the Hyperdrive gets lost, broken or stolen, you lose your images if you have had to reuse your SD cards. The netbook and external drive works better.

Robert

The laptop can gets also lost, broken or stolen as well.

I do keep in permanence the Hyperdrive in a pocket of my fishing vest, whatever I go.

I do not travel with checked luggage.

Edited by danyves
addition

According to the specs, it only displays the embedded jpeg from .DNG files. But it will still store them OK. :)

Yes, that's what I meant - but it doesn't list the M8 (or any other Leica or Panasonic camera) as a supported camera. So I suspect that it will fail to render the embedded jpeg.

I was there just less than a year ago... I used lots of small SD cards, all less that $10 each.. In singapore I picked up a SD card copier (Panasonic makes one but does not work with SDHC), and duplicated each card. Stored them in different places, in protected cases. Also I had a hard suitcase by Pelican, a good lock and chain...

What I was going to do for that purpose was to buy a Netbook computer. They're tiny, and light, and can come with up to 160 gigs or so. Prices start at a little over $200. You can buy them with XP and 1 gig of RAM, but most of the shops will install an extra gig as a separate transaction, so they don't violate their agreement with Microsoft (1 gig limit). If I remember correctly, they have a built-in card reader, but if not a separate reader is no big deal. (It's also a usable computer, so you can use it instead of a laptop for email, etc.)

1 GB Limit? Where is that written? Today I picked up an ASUS 1005HA-PU1X for just under $400 - 160GB HD, WiFi B/G/N, Bluetooth. For another $30 I got a 2GB RAM stick. It replaces the 1GB RAM stick that came with the netbook. ASUS advertises that the machine can be upgraded to 2GB -- and they don't even try to make you buy their brand (or branded) RAM stick. All that is required for the swap is to undo one screw, pop a plastic panel, and replace the RAM stick. I did that before I even booted the little thing for the first time. (Windows XP runs up to a little over 3GB RAM.)

I intend to install a copy of PS Elements 6 that came with a scanner. I've seen where folks have installed full PhotoShop and LightRoom on this computer, but I intend to keep any editing fairly simple and save the real work for when I get home.

You might want to read the reviews of netbooks at Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!. Note that there are two series of 1005HA with 6 cell batteries. The PU1X has the higher capacity version which they rate at 10.5 hours. Real users are getting in the range of 9 hours -- still pretty darn good.

If you get the netbook you can then use a small USB HDD for a safety. I have a 160GB that I pack in the suitcase, since I carry the netbook or laptop with me on the plane.

Multiple cards as Swamiji suggests is the lightest way to travel. I brought a netbook on our trip and downloaded to it. That's still a lot bigger then brining cards, but I would view slideshows on it easily and enjoyed doing that. I kept a daily travel journal on the netbook and found it VERY useful.

Another thought is brining a tiny printer to give pictures away. Stuart suggested a very tiny one that cost around $100.00. I "think" Epson makes it. He said it was not really high quality but fun all the same.

Hyperdrive Colorspace looks great.Is it possible to transfer data to an external drive for back up without use laptop? though i believe i can't avoid to take one with me. The idea for a mini 10 instead of the 13in macbook is not bad as isn't only smaller but cheeper in case of (gets lost, broken or stolen).It's a great combination both.

I can not find a Summicron-c 40/2!!! any idea.

Is it worthy to take the elmarit 28mm or it's a redundancy as i have the 21mm.

Thanks all you ,

very helpful