The ongoing M8 market

jfaier

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There are several reasons why the price of used M8 will go up.

1. There is a limited supply of these cameras. For those who can not spend $7k for M9, paying $2-3 for M8 will be a good deal.

2. Leica increases prices every year. Higher M9 prices will drag prices of used M8 up.

3. Only M8 has shutter speed of 8000 and flash synch. of 250.

4. For those who like IR or black and white photography M8 is much superior than M9, due to well known reasons.

I can get M9 tomorrow, but i'll not do it. Firstly, Leica should demonstrate its commitment to older digital M models (service, firmware upgrades). Secondly, I'm not blown away by M9 performance.

Even 1/250 flash synch is not enough for me, I need 1/500 for shooting outside with studio flash, also, I'm not blown away by M9 performance too.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even 1/250 flash synch is not enough for me, I need 1/500 for shooting outside with studio flash, also, I'm not blown away by M9 performance too.

Looks like you would do better with an SLR. M's have there strenghs and weaknesses. Use the right tool. I'm sure you know this anyhow.

According to this logic, the value of older film Leica Ms will increase every year too?

It is correct.

1.5 years ago I bought a certified MP for $1900 from a reputable dealer. The same camera would cost about 30% more today.

With introduction M9 things may slightly change, although given limited supply of high quality bodies and high prices for new cameras, which will continue to increase, I feel that overall picture will be the same.

Introduction of M8 (a revolutionary event) has not changed that trend. I think many people will continue to use film for different reasons

Edited by sbelyaev

I second that. My friend bought an M6 in great condition four years ago for $1,100 along with his pre-aspherical 50lux for $800. You will be hard-pressed finding this combo at that price even in today's economy.

I also think that the M8 price will not drop significantly more because it is the only cheaper alternative to the expensive M9 and still a great camera. It was the same with the Epson RDs. The digital rangefinder market is so small that prices are relatively stable.

One point of reference: I bought a used Epson R-D1, two years ago, at a cost of $1350 (US). I sold it two weeks ago for $1300. Two years of service for $50! I don't think the M8 is going to hold value like that.

Ironically, I sold it in order to jump on the M8 selling spree - I was buying. Despite the value-holding of the R-D1, I'm happy to have the M8, and don't care for an M9.

-john

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I also think that the M8 price will not drop significantly more because it is the only cheaper alternative to the expensive M9 and still a great camera. It was the same with the Epson RDs. The digital rangefinder market is so small that prices are relatively stable.

Agree completely : expecially if Leica will prove to hold a good service on M8, I think its price will level to a decent value : as a reference... price of a working M8 + cost of revision = 1/2 the street price of a new FF M.

As I put it in another thread: one day someone will be famous for that special look of binary pics taken with the M8. There will be that special look that chip A on the M8 had and chip B on the M9 did not have. Everyone will try to find a "vintage" M8, maybe from the first year of production since chip A.1 from 2007 had something chip A.2 from 2008 did not have. Suddenly a used M8 will be more expensive than an M12 from 2019 because its pics simply do have that special look. Accordingly, everyone will run to get one.

I strongly advise everyone not to sell there M8s in panic because of a hypothetic loss of value. I have been told about a guy in Germany who started driving Mercedes Benz in the 1950s. He did not sell his old model on buying a new one, but put it in the barn, being a farmer with an appropriate room for his old cars. You can guess what happened at the turn of the century, right?

This M8 sold for $2700.00, given the extras, this was an excellent value. I think this is proof that the M8 is holding it's $$$ value. Regardless, artificial market value means nothing to my photography. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290354911690&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Edited by wilfredo

There are several reasons why the price of used M8 will go up.

1. There is a limited supply of these cameras. For those who can not spend $7k for M9, paying $2-3 for M8 will be a good deal.

2. Leica increases prices every year. Higher M9 prices will drag prices of used M8 up.

3. Only M8 has shutter speed of 8000 and flash synch. of 250.

4. For those who like IR or black and white photography M8 is much superior than M9, due to well known reasons.

I can get M9 tomorrow, but i'll not do it. Firstly, Leica should demonstrate its commitment to older digital M models (service, firmware upgrades). Secondly, I'm not blown away by M9 performance.

I agree, and B&W photography is paramount for me when shooting people. Bottom line, the M8 remains as viable as ever.

Like everyone I am excited my the M9 introduction, but this makes me a bit sad regarding my two M8 bodies / one silver and one black. I have considered selling these bodies and I go back and forth on the whole internal debate. Camera retailers tell me the used price of the M8 will be in sharp decline when the M9's begin to ship. I am curious what some thoughts are among all of you here. part of me feels that at $7K / which is nearly 3x the cost of a used M8, the M8 will be in demand - it is a fine camera. Retailed, and scavengers in the used market tell me the camera price will drop below $1,500 - this is crazy. I have taken photos using it that produce better prints than, say a Canon 1 ds MK II. Any thoughts here and speculation?:eek:

Keep your M8 and wait.... :) !

Look at this link

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/98684-m9-versus-m8-1-tests.html

Best regards

Henry

My thoughts are as follow: that's tha way it goes today with any kind of electronic device, being it a computer or a digital camera.

When the new one comes out, the old one loose almost completely its value.

The problem here, is that if you want to buy an M9 you just have to ask yourself "will I still use the M8 or not?"

If you don't, than sell it and use the money to buy the new one.

Enrico,

I also agree with you :)

I continue to use my M8 and it makes always great pictures as I've tested it in this thread:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/98684-m9-versus-m8-1-tests.html

Regards

Henry

One point of reference: I bought a used Epson R-D1, two years ago, at a cost of $1350 (US). I sold it two weeks ago for $1300. Two years of service for $50! I don't think the M8 is going to hold value like that.

Ironically, I sold it in order to jump on the M8 selling spree - I was buying. Despite the value-holding of the R-D1, I'm happy to have the M8, and don't care for an M9.

-john

Sure, but to be fair, even two years ago, a 6mp camera was "old" and "outdated" (I would actually disagree with those labels, even today, but many buyers would feel that way). Making that comparison right now with an M8 is apples to oranges. If you can buy an M8 now for $2200 (which seems to be possible) you may be able to sell it for the same in a couple of years - hard to say.

This M8 sold for $2700.00, given the extras, this was an excellent value. I think this is proof that the M8 is holding it's $$$ value. Regardless, artificial market value means nothing to my photography. Leica M8 - eBay (item 290354911690 end time Oct-02-09 21:20:16 PDT)

Hi Wilfredo,

I am of the same opinion as you.

The rating is also an opportunity to the state of the camera (mint condition, number of triggers or shutter-releasing.....)

There is no reason that a camera of this quality sells at too low prices, in this last case you keep the camera and we do not sell !

the M8 is still a very good camera and it makes beautiful photos

Remember that it costs new 4000 Euros or 5800 USD 3 years ago !

Regards

Henry

"4. For those who like IR or black and white photography M8 is much superior than M9, due to well known reasons."

Sorry, but this is not well known to me. Maybe I missed something but could you elaborate on how the M8 is superior for B&W? Thanks.

"4. For those who like IR or black and white photography M8 is much superior than M9, due to well known reasons."

Sorry, but this is not well known to me. Maybe I missed something but could you elaborate on how the M8 is superior for B&W? Thanks.

IR sensitivity provides better B&W images... Just remove your filter... but thats the simple answer...

On a side note, this weekend I visited my camera shop. They are completely sold out of M8s. New/Used/Other, all gone. They sold the Demo unit while I was there. They hold the opinion that the M8 value will hold up nicely, considering there sales in the last few weeks has not diminished.

On a side note, this weekend I visited my camera shop. They are completely sold out of M8s. New/Used/Other, all gone. They sold the Demo unit while I was there. They hold the opinion that the M8 value will hold up nicely, considering there sales in the last few weeks has not diminished.

Wow, that's interesting, and surprising. It's not like they put video modes into the M9 or anything...