The ongoing M8 market

jfaier

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree with Enrico. It's a sad fact of modern life, that most electronic items do not hold their value anymore.

But... The important question is... Do you actually need to get a new camera, or is it just a case of must-have-the-latest-gadget?

I will be keeping, and using, my M8 for quite some time, as it suits my needs. I don't need high-iso, and so the claimed improvements in that don't worry me. I like having a 1/250 flash sync speed, and as I no longer use my M lenses on a film camera, the 'crop' factor doesn't concern me. I've tailored my lens collection to match the M8. The M8 can produce amazing results, and I have no complaints with the resolution.

Amen to That!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely agree with Wilfredo. As it is, and as many have observed, this is a tool. For me, the only reason for using these particular light tight boxes over the years has been the lenses. As it is, My second M8, which I, like the OP, had considered selling, will depreciate less over the coming year or two than would an M9, if I bought it now.

I'll continue enjoying the lenses I'm using, and the fact that the 135mm Elmarit-M I picked up for a modest investment, makes a great "180," and my 75 Summicron a spectacularly sharp "100."

This is perhaps the single most sensible, most grounded sentence I have read on this forum since the M9 speculation began.

Sanity prevails!

Yeh, it always amazes me how camera x is brilliant until the second camera x+1 arrives, then it immediately becomes rubbish. Oh for those heady film days and using cameras that are 10, 20, 30 or more years old without fear of using 'inferior' products.

Well the M8 remains what it is - a great camera. The fact that the M9 has the same 6.8 micron pixels means that the centre of an M9 image will be the same as an M8 image (both cameras using the same lens). In one way that is good. However taking the same image compositionally with both cameras means using different lenses or moving your position and then you get 18Mp from the M9 and 10Mp from the M8. That is one of the important points for me.

I have two M8s and am now on the waiting list for an M9. I plan to keep one of the M8s for the time being although I'm loathe to part with either of them.

A lower S/H price for the M8 does bring new owners into the Leica fold - a good thing for the company.

Of course Leica should continue to offer FW upgrades for the M8.

I skipped the M8.2 and the upgrades to the M8, I expect that in Leica's normal fashion there will be an M9.x and perhaps other special editions and S/H M9s will then start appearing on the market.

All this will be followed by the M10 and so it goes on.

Digital cameras including Leicas are not investments and I'm surprised people write about them using that word. When you buy your new Leica M9 write-off 50% of the cost in your mind straight away and be happy.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am a newbie here, first post in fact, I joined here because I am looking to purchase my first Leica. A silver M8 in particular is what I am in the market for (to at least make my first Leica, though digital, look like a classic Leica :) ) I am closely monitoring the market for used M8's because, well, as a struggling artist, a new one is way out of my reach. What surprises me though is that the price of a used M8 is still in the $2500 range. I really expected it to be lower after seeing several M8's go for as low as $2000 when the M9 first appeared. Unfortunately then, I wasn't able to grab one since I still lack funds. I hope I will be able to afford one soon though, but judging by the current market, it looks like my first Leica is still a couple of months worth of saving away. This is not to say I am disappointed, in fact I am glad the M8 is still retaining its value. At least, when the time comes when I do get to afford an M8, I know its value won't drop as quickly as other digital cameras do. :)

Welcome thinkfloyd, I hope you get the camera you are craving.

Meanwhile my D2 still takes lovely photographs.

Worried about M8 depreciation? Not here. I just traded in my Alfa Romeo this week and it lost me GBP £13,000 over the period I owned it. Now, that's depreciation.

I am a newbie here, first post in fact, I joined here because I am looking to purchase my first Leica. A silver M8 in particular is what I am in the market for (to at least make my first Leica, though digital, look like a classic Leica :) ) I am closely monitoring the market for used M8's because, well, as a struggling artist, a new one is way out of my reach. What surprises me though is that the price of a used M8 is still in the $2500 range. I really expected it to be lower after seeing several M8's go for as low as $2000 when the M9 first appeared. Unfortunately then, I wasn't able to grab one since I still lack funds. I hope I will be able to afford one soon though, but judging by the current market, it looks like my first Leica is still a couple of months worth of saving away. This is not to say I am disappointed, in fact I am glad the M8 is still retaining its value. At least, when the time comes when I do get to afford an M8, I know its value won't drop as quickly as other digital cameras do. :)

Look hard on eBay. I saw one go for $2400. Use BIN get $200 off bing.com promo. $2200 pretty close to 2K. Good luck

The M8 has not plunged in market value as some had predicted. Here's one on auction already in the $2400 range with 13 hours to go. This looks like a really nice deal, it even comes with a Luigi half case and extra good stuff. Leica M8 - eBay (item 290354911690 end time Oct-02-09 21:20:16 PDT)

I'm glad to see others see my point about "artificial market value." Planned obsolescence goes into the marketing of products before they even hit the streets but this only works because we live in a crazy silly consumer world. Most people fall for it every time. I've never been one to follow the masses. Look at it this way, I think of the current M8 shooter as a sophisticated non-pretentious serious photographer whose primary concern is the image he or she produces, someone who is a lover of photography who is not derailed by the latest fad. Albeit some people have a justifiable preference for the M9 but most go after it simply because it is the latest fad, that' all, to the detriment of their pockets.

Edited by wilfredo

I think what will really kill the M8 market value is not the M9 but the M9's replacement. I think the M9 is a stop-gap camera, born of a need to get some revenue in.

I know I should sell one or both of my M8s (the third being unsaleable for obvious reasons) but I cannot bring myself to do it. Especially in M8u guise, the M8 is a fine camera.

Thanks for the heads up guys. Will try and see if I can nab it :) Though i have one offered for 2450 with a grip. Trying to negotiate, so here's hoping :)

If it's minty it's a great deal. I predict that they E-bay camera will auction at over 2500 maybe even over $2600.00 because of the extras. Good luck!

I think what will really kill the M8 market value is not the M9 but the M9's replacement. I think the M9 is a stop-gap camera, born of a need to get some revenue in.

I know I should sell one or both of my M8s (the third being unsaleable for obvious reasons) but I cannot bring myself to do it. Especially in M8u guise, the M8 is a fine camera.

Mark,

A fine camera indeed! The fact that you can't bring yourself to sell them says something about the genuine value of the M8, again not determined by market value. If I could afford it, I would probably purchase a second M8 right now, but I'm done with major spending for the year. Perhaps in 2010? :-) A used minty M8 so I can use two lenses at a time would be really nice :-).

many are holding off on the m9, especially if they own an m8 or m8.2 because of the price/performance ratio. many m8/m8.2 owner does not think the m9 is a massive engineering marvel. this comment is strickly based on the leica purist and the leica haters from different forums. ;)

The M8 has not plunged in market value as some had predicted.

I was in my local dealer today, thought I would take a look at the M9, no chance, they sold 5 on launch day and have actually recd. 2. more orders backing up. Maybe when the M9 comes through in quantity the price will reflect availability.

And no, one order is not mine. Too much for +1stop over my M8u still under warranty.

I haven't noticed any drop in the quality of shots I get from mine since the M9 came out, any improvement will be down to me though, which is as it should be IMHO.

Edited by chris_livsey
tipping error :-)

Guest fsellitto
I agree with Enrico. It's a sad fact of modern life, that most electronic items do not hold their value anymore.

But... The important question is... Do you actually need to get a new camera, or is it just a case of must-have-the-latest-gadget?

I will be keeping, and using, my M8 for quite some time, as it suits my needs. I don't need high-iso, and so the claimed improvements in that don't worry me. I like having a 1/250 flash sync speed, and as I no longer use my M lenses on a film camera, the 'crop' factor doesn't concern me. I've tailored my lens collection to match the M8. The M8 can produce amazing results, and I have no complaints with the resolution.

yes nicoleica,

l have a m8.2 and feel the same way....

beautiful looking files with all my lenses

~f

There are several reasons why the price of used M8 will go up.

1. There is a limited supply of these cameras. For those who can not spend $7k for M9, paying $2-3 for M8 will be a good deal.

2. Leica increases prices every year. Higher M9 prices will drag prices of used M8 up.

3. Only M8 has shutter speed of 8000 and flash synch. of 250.

4. For those who like IR or black and white photography M8 is much superior than M9, due to well known reasons.

I can get M9 tomorrow, but i'll not do it. Firstly, Leica should demonstrate its commitment to older digital M models (service, firmware upgrades). Secondly, I'm not blown away by M9 performance.