Metz 45CL-1 on a D2

poynterama

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A friend of mine scored a surplus Metz 45 CL-1 flash from his work that was destined for the bin and very kindly gave it to me as he knew my interest in photography. For reference, here is the flash on the Metz site. Unfortunately it didn't come with any sort of cord or SCA module to hook up to a camera. I would like to use it with my Digilux 2- is it compatible, and what would I need to get it working?

I realise I will probably have to find the wide angle diffuser to use it at minimum focal length but I can live with that, considering it was a gift!

A friend of mine scored a surplus Metz 45 CL-1 flash from his work that was destined for the bin and very kindly gave it to me as he knew my interest in photography. For reference, here is the flash on the Metz site. Unfortunately it didn't come with any sort of cord or SCA module to hook up to a camera. I would like to use it with my Digilux 2- is it compatible, and what would I need to get it working?

I realise I will probably have to find the wide angle diffuser to use it at minimum focal length but I can live with that, considering it was a gift!

Sam,

As you've seen from the page you cite, the 45-CL1 doesn't do TTL and therefore the SCA modules don't do it any good. You can download the manual from mecablitz: Metz.

The wide angle diffuser is a "45-41" and should be available new along with the sync cords. The same cords and diffuser fit all or almost all of the Mecablitz 45 series. I believe, but can't be certain, that the basic SCA 301 foot and SCA 300A cable will do the job too.

All of the 45CL series have low trigger voltages that should not trouble the D2. Some of the older 45CT series have a high trigger voltage that can fry some digital cameras.

I believe, but can't be certain, that the basic SCA 301 foot and SCA 300A cable will do the job too.

All of the 45CL series have low trigger voltages that should not trouble the D2. Some of the older 45CT series have a high trigger voltage that can fry some digital cameras.

Thanks for your help :) I was a bit confused as it says on the website that it uses "Adapter system SCA 3002 and SCA 300" and whether or not I would need a dedicated Leica foot.

Thanks for your help :) I was a bit confused as it says on the website that it uses "Adapter system SCA 3002 and SCA 300" and whether or not I would need a dedicated Leica foot.

The 45CL-1 (and the predecessor CT-1) are the simplest models in the range, with Auto and Manual settings but no TTL. I think all the others let you get TTL with the appropriate SCA adapter, but I don't know whether there's an adapter for the D2.

If you get deeper into this, you need to be aware of the difference between the 45CL-4 and the "45CL-4 digital". The former has been round a long time and uses SCA 300 series adapters for TTL on film cameras; the latter is more recent, uses the SCA 3000 series adapters and can give TTL and other fancy stuff on modern digital cameras, though you have to get the right adapter with the right firmware for your camera (firmware is a factory upgrade).